Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 14:25   #46
BANNED

I am wondering where to get good jumper cables. if you have a battery failure normally you will be able to get someone with a car to try and help you out. What you really need are good jumpers (preferably with Copper cables). Global Ez-buy lists Plus-Start at about 2k. Could not confirm that they are copper, since aluminium tends to fail.

Last edited by sgiitk : 15th June 2010 at 14:38.
Old 15th June 2010, 14:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am wondering where to get good jumper cables. if you have a battery failure normally you will be able to get someone with a car to try and help you out. What you really need are good jumpers (preferably with Copper cables). Global Ez-buy lists Plus-Start at about 2k. Could not confirm that they are copper, since aluminium tends to fail.
Its available in any good Car Accessories shop. I saw one in Hot Tracks in Bangalore. It costs around Rs 800 with battery clips on both ends.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:30   #48
BANNED

I doubt whether Rs.800 will get you copper cables.
Old 15th June 2010, 20:32   #49
BHPian

Not everybody can have access or budget to carry a jump starter like one "shamanth" has.
Its no doubt a excellent one but If someone does a poll/survey I am sure 90% or more would not spend this amount for a utility you may or may not need to use.

However a reliable Jump start cable is one thing which won't cost much and will reside easily in trunk.

I'll be making one Jump Starter Cable this weekend and lets see how much i can do to keep it Simple, Safe, Reliable, Economical.

Will try to post a new thread by coming sunday.

Last edited by ghpk : 15th June 2010 at 20:39.
Old 15th June 2010, 21:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Not everybody can have access or budget to carry a jump starter like one "shamanth" has.
Its no doubt a excellent one but If someone does a poll/survey I am sure 90% or more would not spend this amount for a utility you may or may not need to use.

However a reliable Jump start cable is one thing which won't cost much and will reside easily in trunk.

I'll be making one Jump Starter Cable this weekend and lets see how much i can do to keep it Simple, Safe, Reliable, Economical.

Will try to post a new thread by coming sunday.
Ya you are right, 90% wont want to invest on jump starter kit in mostly MT dominated India. But if we take a poll, 90% would not like to buy AT vehicle in India. With AT vehicle you loose that crucial advantage on MT vehicle where you can start the car pushing it, that is when people will think of Jumpstarters.

If we are traveling in highway with an AT vehicle and battery gets conked off, i dont think its easy to stop vehicles and ask them to allow jump start with their vehicle battery.

In US these Jumpstarter kits starts as low as Rs 1500 which is almost equivalent to jumpstarter cables, its only the shipping charges which is hitting us hard. So it will just be the matter of time indian accessories shops starts selling with similar price with so many AT vehicles coming on the roads these days. i feel its not difficult technology that indian companies cannot manufacture.
Old 16th June 2010, 01:28   #51
BHPian

Yes shamanth, I fully agree with your views.
As the market for AT in India is not as wide as in developed countries, I think it would take another few years or a decade before such stuff gets visible and popular here.

anyway I am very keen on making a jump-start-cable this week.

will keep you all posted.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Yes shamanth, I fully agree with your views.
As the market for AT in India is not as wide as in developed countries, I think it would take another few years or a decade before such stuff gets visible and popular here.

anyway I am very keen on making a jump-start-cable this week.

will keep you all posted.
That will be great ghpk, if we know, what gauge and what material is safe for jump starter cable.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:55   #53
BANNED

By the looks of it 10 SWG is what is used with aluminium cables. I will rather go multi-strand (the battery cables from car spares hops should do nicely). Remember you need high current only for a very short time, and the battery cables are designed for it. Furthermore, you should be able to get both Red and Black. The clamps will have to be found.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:25   #54
BHPian

I found some info about wires "(4 to 8 gauge) copper jumper cables"
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:41   #55
BHPian

Do you use a 220V to 120V converter to charge the battery or you can use 220V directly ?

-Pramod
Old 23rd June 2010, 21:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Do you use a 220V to 120V converter to charge the battery or you can use 220V directly ?

-Pramod
I use a 220V to 120V converter to charge battery. And there is option to charge battery directly from 12V cigarette lighter socket.
Old 29th June 2010, 11:50   #57
BHPian

I received mine stanley jump starter after 2 months, it was stuck in custom at Mumbai for almost 45 days, anyway if you directly connect 220 its doesn't even respond you need a converter for 120V then only it starts charging, best part it electronic shuts off at 220 to avoid damage.

-Pramod
Old 29th June 2010, 12:51   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I received mine stanley jump starter after 2 months, it was stuck in custom at Mumbai for almost 45 days, anyway if you directly connect 220 its doesn't even respond you need a converter for 120V then only it starts charging, best part it electronic shuts off at 220 to avoid damage.

-Pramod
Congrats on your purchase Pramod. So where did you buy the Jump Starter from.
Old 29th June 2010, 15:12   #59
BHPian

ebay global, for 9K with PaisaPay guarantee, I am yet to use but charged it completely and tested the USB and power point, I already have a 12V compressor but this one operated more powerfully than that.

Hope this works as described.

-Pramod
Old 29th June 2010, 15:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ebay global, for 9K with PaisaPay guarantee, I am yet to use but charged it completely and tested the USB and power point, I already have a 12V compressor but this one operated more powerfully than that.

Hope this works as described.

-Pramod
I have used the cranking when battery was dead, and its works with ease. Yes it has a powerful battery so the compressor is powerful and jump start is very easy.

Last edited by shamanth : 29th June 2010 at 15:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks