Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2009, 13:25   #1

SX4 Retrofit Headlamps

My fellow sx4philes,
I am gathering up a lot of technical stuff for my proposed SX4 Projector headlights from Canada. I basically plan to fit a projector with Halo rings in the headlight enclosure and also equip the car with HID lights. I am hoping that the H4 HID bulbs that I have will actually fit the Indian SX4. Any comment on this is more than welcome. Apart from this I will start this project next and I will post lots of pictures. I have done the same here in Canada on many cars like , Honda Civic 2005, Honda Accord 2008, Dodge Caliber 2008 and many more. I hope that I can get a hold of the necessary tools back in India as this is a very tricky thing goin on.
Will keep you updated and if everything works well then I will put up every little detail and picture.

Rev On,

J.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:34   #2
BHPian

Hey
Awesome!! Been planning on doing this for months but havent really gotten down to it.
Just FYI, dont know if you know this or not - H4 bulbs may not necessarily fit in a bi-xenon projector. The bulb is either D2S or D2R, I've forgotten which one. Since the bulb doesnt move, it a reflector in the projector which converts the beam from hi to lo or vice versa.
As far as equipment there are a few people who do retrofits here; you need a heat gun to open the headlight and for everything else, dont think the tools are too complicated.

Best of luck! Looking forward to the pictures!!
Old 13th December 2009, 09:41   #3

I plan to install D2S bulbs. The projectors are brand new from the Infinity FX 35 Bi- Xenon Stage 3 with Morimoto 6000K D2S bulbs and Superflux Leds from Oznium. i will also get the E-46-R Shroud/Bezel as well. Ballasts from Greddy. The heat gun and all other tools such as the dremel will be covered and bought in advance.
The only thing I am worried is the wiring in Indian cars coz I haven't worked on any as yet.

J.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:13   #4
BHPian

Any update Fretcraze ??
Old 13th January 2010, 00:08   #5
BHPian

Hi fretcraze,
H4 won’t fit on most projectors though there are some aftermarket projectors which will… but I’ll suggest you not to go with such projectors because it won’t give you proper output. H4 is designed for reflectors.
Here is the list of items which I bought for my DIY retrofit project
1) Infinity FX 35 Bi-Xenon Projector
2) Matsushita Gen 3 35W Digital Ballast
3) Philips 85122+ D2S bulbs (4300K) (now Upgraded to GE 6000K)
4) Ballast control box and wire harness
5) CCFL angel Eye
6) Gatling Gun Shrouds
Tools
1) Bosch Heat Gun
2) Bosch Rotary Tool
3) Max Seal Silicone Sealant & Sealant Gun

Best of luck for the Project
Old 13th January 2010, 00:34   #6
BHPian

Sweet idea . Hope it works out.. update soon, would love to know how it looks !

Morimoto 6000K D2S bulbs come at around 45$ right ?
I hear they are top notch on build quality also the packaging includes alcohol swabs to prepare the bulbs before installation,this apparently ensuring their longevity

Last edited by aah78 : 13th January 2010 at 00:47. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:13   #7

Thanks

Hey guys thanks for the info. I would like to correct myself. I do not intend to use H4 bulbs but D2S bulbs. The rest will stay the stay. Although I have been working a lot with the E 55 Projectors and I have to tell you that they are really amazing in regards to their output and their capabilities. That is the reason why BMW uses them so much.
I am sorry that I haven't been able to post any pictures because I broke my arm in an embarrassing bathtub accident. Any ways lets just say that it will be a while. But as soon as i am better i will do that for you guys. Just hang in there.

Thanks for your input and a surprising discovery. I found that H7 projectors such as those in the sonata could handle the 9007 bulbs. Weird.

Take care.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:51   #8
BHPian

Re: SX4 Retrofit Headlamps

Hi. What is the update? Did you procure some parts already? Actually ther is a very small difference in 9007 and H7, same with 9004 and H4. I guesse soemthing to to do more tihe SAE laws and stuff. My car has H7 low beams. I want to do the same retrofit but my biggest dillema is Moroimoto H1 plug and play or is the FX-R and D2S worth the pain!! Also post some pictures if you have already done some work.
Old 20th March 2012, 10:05   #9
BANNED

One point often missed out. Canada is lhd so the asymmetrical dip will be to the right and not left as required in a rhd scenario.
Old 12th April 2012, 22:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
My car has H7 low beams. I want to do the same retrofit but my biggest dillema is Moroimoto H1 plug and play or is the FX-R and D2S worth the pain!! Also post some pictures if you have already done some work.
The FXR and the H1 are both Morimotos - TRS products.
They both have same lens sizes (2.5")
The bowl of the FXR is bigger.
To fit the FX-R, you need to cut the base of the reflector (especially for the H7, as it is smaller). The part of the reflector that has the slot for the bulb is thicker, reinforced and also has supporting ridges. When you cut all this off, strength is lost.
The FX-Rs are fitter by drilling 4 screws into the reflector (at points that are hot expected to take any load at all). Jerks and bumps may lead to development of cracks etc..

Compared to all of this, H1 fitting and removal is much easier, and you get a variety of shrouds for the same. It is lighter and fits in the reinforced section of the reflector.
The light of the H1s will be way better than your OEMs and there may be a marginal difference as compared to the FX-Rs, so you need to decide whether it is worth all the trouble.

(The Morimoto Mini is also available in the D2S option alongwith the H1 option - the D2S will not fit on the H7s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One point often missed out. Canada is lhd so the asymmetrical dip will be to the right and not left as required in a rhd scenario.
RHD cutoff shields are available when enquired for or asked for! I have RHD cutoffs for all the projectors that I got.
Old 13th April 2012, 00:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
The light of the H1s will be way better than your OEMs and there may be a marginal difference as compared to the FX-Rs, so you need to decide whether it is worth all the trouble.
Thanks keyur for the update. By the way i am also following you on "Mass Headlight Projector Mod - 15 cars ". I need to see the output in person for the projectors you have shortlisted. I have gone through HID planet photo comparasion of outputs but still want to see the retrofit outputs in actual. I have driven with OEM bi-xenon(A3, A6 and 116i). When back in India, i want to compare your retrofit output with the OEMs and then we make decision.

I want do the entire retrofit myself. Of course I will need your technical help too!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th April 2012 at 00:42. Reason: fixed quote tags :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks