Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2005, 00:36   #1
BHPian

After-market Sunroof!

i need to fit sunroof in my zen wanted to know which ones are available and pricing and which is better for a zen & where in mumbai can i get it done??... hav seen a white zen at carter road today with sunroof looked neat really smart....
thanks
Old 17th August 2005, 00:53   #2
BANNED

it will cost you ...10-25 grand...
Old 17th August 2005, 09:17   #3
BHPian

No doubt HEBASTO are the best. Check any of the auto mags, you'll get their contact details
Old 17th August 2005, 09:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

considering the roof bears a lot of structural load for a small car like a Zen, I would consider it very carefully
Old 17th August 2005, 10:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Check out here:

siddharthoberoi@webastoindia.com
Siddharth Oberoi
Head Channel Marketing
Webasto Motherson Sunroofs Limited
+91 98671 51363
Old 17th August 2005, 10:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a sunroof fitted on my accord from the showroom at the time of delivery itself. Little did i know that Ichibaan honda outsoucres the sunroof work to a german company called 'Inalfa Sunroofs' For the first 8 months i had no problems. Thereafter the sunroof started making rattling sounds which were really annoying, sent it to the showroom for the same atleast 5 times after which i was fed up and threatened them to return the car for good. They came up with a solution that the rubber casing around the sunroof gets hard due to the heat and u need to use a rubber softner spray to keep it soft. To make a logn story short the only reason i am telling u this is because u will have the same rubber issue once u fit u r roof. To add to the list of problems the sunroof started having minor leakage problems this monsoon which is the 3rd time the car is experiencing this season, there was no problem of water in the past 2 years.
With these series of problem i still feel that the pleasure i get out of the sunroof in cool nights with the wind blowing in my hair is worth it. And to top it up i got a 50% discount on the sunroof when i fitted it haha so its all good.
The only sunroofs that i would suggest is Webasto, there is no one better than them when it comes to sunroofs.....and the feel of having a sunroof fitted on u r zen by the makers of the Maybach roof is something else It will be a costlier affair i think as i dont exactly know the pricing of webasto but i dont think u shoudl comprimise or u may land up with a series of problems larger than mine. Good luck on the sunroof and enjoy the windddddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudeonfire
it will cost you ...10-25 grand...
Webasto will cost u alot more than this... i dont advice these inferior quality ones...these prices r way too low for even an average sunroof company.

Last edited by Sahil : 17th August 2005 at 10:20.
Old 17th August 2005, 12:07   #7
BHPian

source-satya

the address that rudra has given is right.

a manual sunroof for the zen should cost you abt 9k including installation .for a zen a manual one is recommended as it will have no maintainance of the motor .the electric one ranges from 28k -40k depending on what feature you want.frankly its tooo expensive for a zen.

webasto offers 2 years warranty.

dunno about sahil's sunroof but webasto also do it at ichiban .

now its OE accessory at TATA and MARUTI
Old 17th August 2005, 12:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Although i am a webasto dealer... installing sunroofs over the last one year have made me realise one thing. Aftermarket sunroofs can never be successful, simply coz the car is not meant to have its structural rigidity altered unless it is manufactured to compensate for the cutting.

OE fitment has the additional suport like what comes on the RS or L&K. What dealers like ichiban example you gave, outsource the sunroof mainly from inalfa or webasto, the same principle applies there as well its still aftermarket and not manufactured.

Not happy with the results at all, creaking and leakages are almost impossible to remove after a while. You can keep opening and installing it over and over again under warranty but the number of trips youd have to make to the workshop are crazy. Similar to what Sahil experienced.

Arush
Old 17th August 2005, 13:09   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Golden rule of sunroofs : If its fitted by the manufacturer, go for it! Otherwise, dont ever consider fitting one in the after market. The number of headaches are just not worth it. Cutting the roof is a massive modification, and I have yet to see one by a dealer that has endured 2+ years without leakages and rattles.

GTO
Old 17th August 2005, 18:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRAFT
now its OE accessory at TATA and MARUTI
OE at Maruti? I don't think so ... I asked them about the sunroof for my car and they said they would outsource it

s
Old 17th August 2005, 20:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

I also got the sunroof done from the company while i got my Octavia. Its webasto too. The very first day at time of delivery, the sales exec. opend the roof and the plastic tray like thing below the sunroof broke..i never got a replacement till now. It may not be a big deal, but the problem now is that wn the roof is opened, it keeps rattline and making an annoying sound. The model i have is kinda the same on the the Astra Club, the one which goes over the roof. I didn't have any leaking probs till now though.
Old 17th August 2005, 22:15   #12
BHPian

hey t-bhpians that replies were really fast....
thanks guys but i am really confused what to do some people say its juss not worth it and the car will get more hot even in summer and i spoke to some guy from siddharts office he gave me an estimate of about 11k... i m still confused because some people say its not worth getting it done on a zen.... suggestions are welcome.....
thanks
sparco
Old 18th August 2005, 00:34   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hey sparco is 11k for the manual sunroof...wudnt mind getting an electronic sliding sunroof for my zen too..hey guys pls post ur views...need ur help to go ahead with the sunroof or not...
Old 18th August 2005, 00:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

it finally will be your desicion.the sunroof will look and feel good but over a period of time the drawbacks are squeeking noises , minor leaks because they are not made for mumbai monsoons. these will happen only after a period of time untill which it will feel fine and once this starts you will get hasselled.so if you plan on keeping the car for long then its not worth it but if you are planning to seel it of in a year or a year and a half then think about it.

Rev
Old 19th August 2005, 11:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

sun roof

I have a doubt. why don't they use opaque metal sheet instead of dark glaases for the sun roof. the whole idea is to block the sun compeltely when it's closed, right?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed