Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2009, 23:54   #1
BHPian

Neck support for long drives

I drive an Indigo and frequently do trips which are 2 to 3 hrs long, and of course, there is the occasional road trip. I think that my driving posture is o.k. which is a relative thing, but I do keep the seat relatively straight/close to vertical and the seat is as far removed from the wheel so as to allow the wrists to break over the wheel with the arms straight.

In most of my long drives I have found that that the shoulders and the neck tend to feel strained after about 2 to 3 hrs of driving. In case of bad roads the time period is considerably reduced.

I have tried a variety of measures to alleviate the suffering which have included travelling pillows, the small neck support pillows which all the accessory shops seem to be selling these days, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any other remedy to this problem? Are there any proven seat mods that can be carried out to help?
Old 14th December 2009, 00:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Feels like a posture issue to me. You have mentioned that you keep the seat back close to vertical seat is as far removed from the wheel. Try altering them a bit and see if there is a difference. If not, you may need to consult a doctor and get yourself checked.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:48   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does anyone have any other remedy to this problem? Are there any proven seat mods that can be carried out to help?
A friend had a similar problem, but long gone after he started neck exercises, stretching and yoga.

I hope you stop every two hours for a refreshment break (on highway drives)? Stepping out of the car to get some fresh air does wonders to blood circulation.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2009, 16:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yoga should solve these things. It is wonderous for body agility/flexibility.

For pure pain relief, you can quite happily n easily do Sujok. It'll let you drive in peace atleast
Old 14th December 2009, 17:01   #5
BHPian

Try the neck pillow positioned in a way so you are resting your head on it and not your neck. This supports your head and reduces strain on your neck. I had the same problem and this helped me.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Feels like a posture issue to me. You have mentioned that you keep the seat back close to vertical seat is as far removed from the wheel. Try altering them a bit and see if there is a difference. If not, you may need to consult a doctor and get yourself checked.
Tried various seat positions...dosen't seem to really help. The doc part am not really sure..I have no problems pulling 9Gs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hope you stop every two hours for a refreshment break (on highway drives)? Stepping out of the car to get some fresh air does wonders to blood circulation.
This is one thing that I do not do as of now. Feel it really bites the average you get (km/hr not kmpl), but maybe that it is something that I need to do; wife will sure be thrilled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yoga should solve these things. It is wonderous for body agility/flexibility.

For pure pain relief, you can quite happily n easily do Sujok. It'll let you drive in peace atleast
I feel that it is more of a strain issue than a pain issue. Will try the Sujok thing, after I google it!
Old 15th December 2009, 01:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Tried various seat positions...dosen't seem to really help. The doc part am not really sure..I have no problems pulling 9Gs.
Oh saw your profile and the doc part is definitely ruled out. Maybe it is the lack of Gs that is causing the problem
Old 15th December 2009, 15:46   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A friend had a similar problem, but long gone after he started neck exercises, stretching and yoga.
Coincidentally I met the same friend last night. Brought the topic up, and he highly recommends physiotherapy if the problem is severe. Worked like a charm for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
This is one thing that I do not do as of now. Feel it really bites the average you get (km/hr not kmpl), but maybe that it is something that I need to do; wife will sure be thrilled!
3 things more important than average km/h:

1. Safety : Your getting out and stretching will increase blood circulation and, thus, your attention / reflex action.

2. No pain : I'm pretty sure it'll help keep the neck discomfort at bay.

3. Smile on the wife's face

Last edited by GTO : 15th December 2009 at 15:47.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2009, 23:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:

1. Safety : Your getting out and stretching will increase blood circulation and, thus, your attention / reflex action.

Point taken GTO!! Thanks all!!
Old 30th May 2010, 07:33   #10
BHPian

Ditto to that!Even i had a neck problem.Physiotherapy for 2 or 3 week which included electric traction coupled with some exercises completely cured the problem.After that i used to get it like twice a year maximum.But now thankfully it has not re-occurred.Good posture helps.Even while sleeping at night use a pillow which suits the length of your neck and the position you sleep(sideways or on your back).Once the neck recovers bench press done under supervision using moderate weight helps.

Quote:
Coincidentally I met the same friend last night. Brought the topic up, and he highly recommends physiotherapy if the problem is severe. Worked like a charm for him.

Old 30th May 2010, 09:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think it's a posture problem.
Steps:
First bring the seat as high and forward as it will go without your knee hitting the steering wheel.
Next recline your back to 15-30* so that your elbows are flexed to 30*
Tilt the steering to have adequate vision of the dash and the road.
Adjust the head rest to 10 cm behind the most prominent part of your skull

Your final position should be
Neck Flexed at 15*
Spine erect
Shoulders flexed at 75*
Elbows flexed at 30*
Wrists extended at 30*
Hips flexed at 60*
Knees flexed at 75*
Ankles comfortable on the pedels.

I routinely drive for 8-12 hours and take a break only once or twice if there are co-passengers and never if alone. Just keep your body relaxed and springy.
Neck exercises will help but in adjunct to a good posture.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2010, 22:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I think it's a posture problem.
Steps:
First bring the seat as high and forward as it will go without your knee hitting the steering wheel.
Next recline your back to 15-30* so that your elbows are flexed to 30*
Tilt the steering to have adequate vision of the dash and the road.
Adjust the head rest to 10 cm behind the most prominent part of your skull

Your final position should be
Neck Flexed at 15*
Spine erect
Shoulders flexed at 75*
Elbows flexed at 30*
Wrists extended at 30*
Hips flexed at 60*
Knees flexed at 75*
Ankles comfortable on the pedels.

I routinely drive for 8-12 hours and take a break only once or twice if there are co-passengers and never if alone. Just keep your body relaxed and springy.
Neck exercises will help but in adjunct to a good posture.
Hey Wildsdi!! Thanks man!! But since I have an Indigo which does not have a height adjustable driver seat nor a tilt-able able steering, its no go for me!!
Old 21st March 2012, 23:33   #13
BHPian

Re: Neck support for long drives

Finally found a way past my sufferings and it came from a physiotherapist I was consulting for some other issue.

The issue was that I was driving with the seat too erect i.e. close to 90* because of which there was strain on the shoulder muscles. Tilting the back rest by about 15* has solved the problem!!
neel385 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 23:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Do some minor neck movements while driving, concentrating fully on the latter. What kind of covers your seats are on. This is important as unscientifically stuffed locally made ones that are not ergonomic can cause a strain.
Old 22nd March 2012, 07:34   #15
BHPian

Interesting thread and lots of good tips! I have done several 1000+ km drives lately and feel my neck hurting in the last few 100 Kms. The head rests on the Tata Safari is way up..i guess only 6 footers find use for it..

Just about to hit the road from Gangtok to Hyderabad in a few minutes..I'll try the angles suggested by wild. ( a bit too technical..)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks