Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 16:34   #1
BHPian

Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan

A large sedan like Embera CRDi with equally large boot comes handy for the interstate family outings. But comfort oriented suspension creates a problem of low ride height due to overstuffed boot (~300Kg) with 5 adults and 2 kids in the car. Also at the high speed and uneven surface the body would roll which never happens in case of light or medium load. After lot of search and DIY I think I have a good system in place to firm up my suspension under heavy load condition.
The kit is procured from AirLift
Air Lift Company - Products - Air Lift 1000

The installation was straight forward as my rear coil springs have a hole in the center. both the airbags are connected with T that is connected to a air valve in the boot. Based on the load condition one can increase the pressure from 5 PSI to 20 PSI.

At 5 PSI the airbags have no impact of any parameter. While at 20PSI under heavy load and nasty speed breakers I can hear "Woosh" of airbags supporting the spring. Also the car is does not have any roll at higher speeds even under heavy load condition.
Attached are the images of installation along with some other add on like Scanguage, Steering mounted universal remote, carputer etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-airlift1000_6080xxx_kitsm.jpg  

Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-img_5913.jpg  

Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-img_5914.jpg  

Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-img_5915.jpg  

Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-img_5916.jpg  

Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-img_5917.jpg  

Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-img_5919.jpg  

Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-img_5920.jpg  

Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-img_5921.jpg  

Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-img_5925.jpg  

Restoring the ride height for a loaded Sedan-img_5926.jpg  

rohitrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2010, 17:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Cool!
After such a long time, I'm seeing a very unique mod on here.
Keep it up, rohit.
Old 4th January 2010, 17:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rohit,

Would you mind sharing the details of the total cost incurred on installing this airlift airbags for supporting suspension?
Old 4th January 2010, 17:42   #4
BHPian

Thanks Nitrous

Fordmanchau, here is the cost breakup

Airlift Kit on Amazon : 79$ ~4K
PU bush: : 300
brass T : 30

Installtion : 0 (DIY)

the last two pics of the post , integrated FOB which is an aftermarket. Costing 79$. This is almost universal FOB system.
detail KSPEC KDM Performance Center

You need to remove the chip inside your original key, remove the internal circuit from your keyless entery, copy the vehical key into the blank one supplied with the kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hi Rohit,

Would you mind sharing the details of the total cost incurred on installing this airlift airbags for supporting suspension?
Old 5th January 2010, 16:18   #5

This looks really interesting, I am very keep to put this on my OHC. It bottoms out really bad and a mild or heavy load. Any idea if this will fit easily on a OHC?
Old 7th January 2010, 13:39   #6
BHPian

@ rohit, did u get this in India?
Please post details
Old 7th January 2010, 16:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitrk View Post
Thanks Nitrous

Fordmanchau, here is the cost breakup

Airlift Kit on Amazon : 79$ ~4K
PU bush: : 300
brass T : 30

Installtion : 0 (DIY)

the last two pics of the post , integrated FOB which is an aftermarket. Costing 79$. This is almost universal FOB system.
detail KSPEC KDM Performance Center

You need to remove the chip inside your original key, remove the internal circuit from your keyless entery, copy the vehical key into the blank one supplied with the kit.
Hi rohit,
Thanks for the break up. It seems good for that price.
You have a verna and on the website you gave, it only mentions Hyundai models. Will tha key work for all the car models. I have Ford Ikon . Also , does that boot opener switch also works.I don't have boot lid openning lever. Do I need to do anything extra?
I hope installing the Airlift set doesn't void the guarantee??
Old 11th January 2010, 10:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic effort. Very well illustrated with pictures as well. Can you post some exterior pictures of the car after the modification?
Old 11th January 2010, 10:35   #9
BHPian

Fordmanchau, I do not own Verna. I own Sonata Embera CRDi Sep 2008 model. The website is a korean re-seller selling mods add-ons for Korean car. They have their US based operation for namesake where I ordered by parts. The shipment arrived by simple post direct from Korea at my friends place in Bay area.

Now the Key FOB is very generic(though designed for Hyundai car OEM remote) and can work for pretty much any car/wireless remote. If your button spacing matches with the buttons holes on the Key FOB it can work well. If you are in Mumbai/Pune your can check my key in person.
Yes the boot opener switch works too. In fact there is PANIC button in the back which is has no support in my wireless controller.
So in you case simply the button will be dummy.

The Airlift does not alter the suspension geometry in any way. All it does is provide support in the case when the suspensions are compressed too much in case of heavy load. The whole installation is reversable and can be removed easily in about 40/50 mins. Does it void the warranty?
It depends on what stand your service advisor takes. I can easily take out the bags in cae I need warranty for my suspension parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hi rohit,
Thanks for the break up. It seems good for that price.
You have a verna and on the website you gave, it only mentions Hyundai models. Will tha key work for all the car models. I have Ford Ikon . Also , does that boot opener switch also works.I don't have boot lid openning lever. Do I need to do anything extra?
I hope installing the Airlift set doesn't void the guarantee??
Old 11th January 2010, 10:51   #10
BHPian

Dippy, The best part of this mod is that it has no impact on the before/after look or ride height. When the car is loaded I pump around 5-7 psi of air ; just enough to retain the shape of the PU baloon so that it will not be pinched in the suspension coil. So practically it's as if it's not there. That means original ride height and original handling characterstics.
When the car is going to be loaded I pump around 25 PSI before we load everything in the car. Even in that case the ride height remains exactly the same. The baloon gets inflated but does not increase it's height; it just gets firmer.

Sure I will post the pictures. Also you can check this in person as I am planning to attend my first meet in Lonavala this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Fantastic effort. Very well illustrated with pictures as well. Can you post some exterior pictures of the car after the modification?
Old 11th January 2010, 17:30   #11
BHPian

Rohit, nice mods for an Embera. May I request for few clarifications,

1) How did you change the default Cassette/CD Player to a GPS screen?
2) Whats the cost associated with it?
3) How will you load your CDs?
4) Are you able to play video on that screen?
Old 11th January 2010, 17:48   #12
BHPian

It's a carputer

Pardon me if it wasn't clear earlier. The stock system is replaced with carputer which an along with audio/video can do navigation OBD diag etc.
Search the Tbhp forums you will get tons of carputer threads.

I modified the stock tape/cd changer to just do the job of pre-amp using casset adapter and connected to carputer. I can control the stock radio using the universal remote mounted on the steering. The stock radio is stashed behind the touchscreen. the IR sensor is brought forward to control the volume/tuning.
Old 15th January 2010, 21:05   #13
BHPian

This looks awesome!! I am still guessing how to fit my chip in the FOB. I was searching for this for quite some time now!! Thanks for the URL. any suggestion no fitting the chip? I have standard Hyundai Cobra Autocop (Oval in shape)?
Old 18th January 2010, 17:26   #14
BHPian

Unfortunately it will not work. AS this FOB has seperate lock/unlock key and optional boot opener and panic button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrinalSinha View Post
This looks awesome!! I am still guessing how to fit my chip in the FOB. I was searching for this for quite some time now!! Thanks for the URL. any suggestion no fitting the chip? I have standard Hyundai Cobra Autocop (Oval in shape)?
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:27   #15
BHPian

A very sensible innovation

Pity it can't be done on cars with coilovers. Looks like I got to wait

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks