Team-BHP - Hiker Roof top carrier for the scorpio
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Hiker Roof top carrier for the scorpio (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/73058-hiker-roof-top-carrier-scorpio.html)

Anyone on this forum install a hiker rooftop carrier like this one ..::It's Hiker World, Nudge Guards, Roof Carriers, Side Foot Steps, Rear Bumpers, Rear View Monitor System, Bumper Guards::..
What is the price you paid? Also, this one does not need any spanners to mount, so it can be easily clamped on and removed. This is like good news and bad news. Bad news being that it can be stolen easily too.Thoughts or experiences?
Mods, I couldn't find a similar thread, please move this if there is one.

My 2 cents,

Is easily available at the dealerships and costs are upwards 12k. Easy to mount and use it only when you need it. Else remove it and keep it safe at home.

Using a Roof Top Carrier when its not needed creates unnecessary drag and reduces mileage.

Remove when not needed.

I plan to use it only when necessary. I've been offered the one shown in the link above for Rs.7500. I am eligible for Rs Rs 6500 worth of accessories and chose the carrier. I am vary about paying the difference as most of the accessories at Sireesh (or any dealer for that matter) is grossly overpriced. That is the reason why I needed to know if anyone on this forum has the same carrier.

I called Hiker using the phone number listed on their website and they said the price was 6600! Why didin't I think of that before:)

I am particularly delighted with myself:) I got the carrier for 500 bucks. They were insisting on me paying 1000 bucks. I made them call Hiker in Bangalore and confirm the price. Sellers don't like the new breed of buyers - informed ones. Next time, I'll pay only 100 and after that, they'll pay me:)

@tried everything:

Was the price 5500 or 500? Confused from both your posts.

Can you please post a pic? I am looking for a removable carrier myself.

The carrier looks exactly like the one in the link provided in the first thread above.
It costs 6600. Since I was eligible for accessories worth Rs 6500, I should have ideally have paid the difference of Rs 100. The prices for the same accessories is much more in Mahindra. They were quoting 7500Rs for the same. Since I paid Rs 500, I said that was the cost of the carrier.

It can be easily removed by loosening 4 'thumb screws'. I'll post pictures soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by triedeverything (Post 1673182)
It can be easily removed by loosening 4 'thumb screws'. I'll post pictures soon.

Is it strong enough to load heavy luggages?

Quote:

Originally Posted by triedeverything (Post 1673182)
The carrier looks exactly like the one in the link provided in the first thread above.
It costs 6600. Since I was eligible for accessories worth Rs 6500, I should have ideally have paid the difference of Rs 100. The prices for the same accessories is much more in Mahindra. They were quoting 7500Rs for the same. Since I paid Rs 500, I said that was the cost of the carrier.

Thanks for the clarification mate. I too want something that I can remove when not in use since it affect mileage and creates more wind noise at high speeds. No point using it unless all three rows of seats are in use.

There will be a load rating on the carrier. can you please let us know how much weight it it will carry.

My Scorpio too does not have a luggage carrier at present.

Though I see a lot of Scorps with ski racks, I am yet to see one with luggage attached to them.

Can a 20 kg suitcase be strapped directly onto the roof with the help of ski racks, without damaging the roof ? (I promise sedate driving, on Airport Roads!) And the approximate cost of a ski rack, if known to anyone, would really help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooza (Post 1673609)
Can a 20 kg suitcase be strapped directly onto the roof with the help of ski racks, without damaging the roof ? (I promise sedate driving, on Airport Roads!) And the approximate cost of a ski rack, if known to anyone, would really help.

@mooza:

The roof may take the weight without denting but the top is likely to get scratched from the suitcase swaying as you take turns. The side rails are meant to have attachments for the purposes like ski racks, roof racks, cargo carriers etc.

There are two kinds of roof racks. One that hooks on to the rain channel and the other type that is fixed onto the side rails that are standard on the Scorpio. The one that goes on the rain channel is probably sturdier as the weight can be distributed across three/four legs that attache the roof rack the the rain channel.

The rack that gets attached to the side rails directly is limited by the weight that can be bourne by the side rails. Not sure if the manual specifies this.

Thanks 4x4addict for clearing my misconceptions.
Now I realise that my service advisor at the ASC yesterday wrongly used the term "ski rack", when in fact he was actually just showing me the side rails, which I wanted to fix for my beast !
I guess I don't need the side rails in case I use the rain channel carrier option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooza (Post 1673741)
Thanks 4x4addict for clearing my misconceptions.
Now I realise that my service advisor at the ASC yesterday wrongly used the term "ski rack", when in fact he was actually just showing me the side rails, which I wanted to fix for my beast !
I guess I don't need the side rails in case I use the rain channel carrier option.

If you don't already have side rails. No point installing them. Just go for the carrier that has legs that attach to the rain channel. These will be sturdier. I have also seen these models with the thumbscrew/black round knob to attach and remove. This way you can attach it only when needed. Since the newer scorpios come with the side rails, I am looking for a version that can attach to the side rails.

The carrier shown carries a maximum weight of 70 kilos. There are carriers that are larger and can carry over 100 kilos. I agree with 4x4 addict - the carriers that can be mounted directly on the rain channel are sturdier and can carry more weight.