Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 22:44   #1
BHPian

Rs 50k project for swift ride comfort

Hi Everyone
I have a Swift Vxi (ABS) which has done 40k KMs. The car has Bridgestone GIII Potenza (185/70 R14) These tyres served me very well and I could easily maintain 140+ at curves on Pune-Bangalore highway.

However these days I do a lot of city driving in mumbai and I am feeling that the ride quality is pretty bad. Otherwise the car is in a pretty excellent shape. I know that this tyre is known to give a harsh ride. However I am wondering if changing the tyre will really cause a substantial difference.

If the ride quality issue is taken care of (making back seat comfort better than Tata Indica), I can use this car for 3 more years, otherwise will sell the car in a few months. So please suggest what mods would help me achieve this. For me the first priority is ride comfort (without compromising with handling too much):
1. Tyre - Michellin XM1+, Yokohama A-Drive, Bridgestone ER-60
2. After market dampers, shocks, Koni and Pedders suspension. I heard too many conflicting opinions about these. Without messing up the car too much, what gives the best comfort.

Thanks
Anand Prakash
Old 8th January 2010, 23:10   #2
1001bhp

I ve travelled in only one swift which had after market suspension.I really loved the ride quality.I found it almost as good as a corolla.

Old 8th January 2010, 23:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001bhp View Post
I ve travelled in only one swift which had after market suspension.I really loved the ride quality.I found it almost as good as a corolla.
This is awesome. Can you please let me know the details of that car.
Old 8th January 2010, 23:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

noob reply ; you could downsize to 13" wheels and tires!

I'm waiting for the experts to post their suggestions too!
Old 9th January 2010, 15:08   #5
BHPian

Konis FSD at around 45K.
Old 9th January 2010, 15:28   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Swift is an awesome handler thanks to the firm suspension setup, albeit at the cost of ride quality.

Here is what I'd suggest:

1. Choose a comfort-oriented tyre make / brand. Also, how many kms have your current tyres run? Remember that tyre rubber hardens with time.

2. Lower the air pressure by 2 PSI when driving in the city.

3. Downside to 13 inch wheels. But be sure to retain the same overall circumference.

4. Look at after-market upholstery experts, and redo the seat cushioning. Choose super-soft foam. I have riden in countless cars with soft seats and, believe me, comfort levels within the city are way improved. However, soft seats are not the best for prolonged highway use (where firm seats offer better back support).

5. Check up with after-market part suppliers if anyone has comfort-oriented dampers. Most usually only sell performance oriented stuff, but you may just end up lucky. You might want to try out the variable-damping Koni FSDs

6. Have your current suspension given the once over. Good chance that at 40,000 kms, the suspension is past its prime.
Old 9th January 2010, 18:21   #7
BHPian

Hi GTO
Thanks for the tips.
My current tyres have run around 40k kms and always keep the PSI lower in city. I guess the rubber has got hard because things were not so bad initially.
I was looking at tyres. My service advisor says that its better to go for 165 vs 185 profile. Tyre dealer tells me that XM1+ and A-Drive don't have 165/80 R14, so the only choices seem to be JK and Bridgestone. If I am not mistaken. I am kind of zeroing down at XM1+.
I will also ask the service guys to look at suspension. BTW about the dampers, I was hoping someone at team-bhp would be able to help me find some good comfort oriented dampers. Hope I get lucky.

Thanks
Anand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Swift is an awesome handler thanks to the firm suspension setup, albeit at the cost of ride quality.

Here is what I'd suggest:

1. Choose a comfort-oriented tyre make / brand. Also, how many kms have your current tyres run? Remember that tyre rubber hardens with time.

2. Lower the air pressure by 2 PSI when driving in the city.

3. Downside to 13 inch wheels. But be sure to retain the same overall circumference.

4. Look at after-market upholstery experts, and redo the seat cushioning. Choose super-soft foam. I have riden in countless cars with soft seats and, believe me, comfort levels within the city are way improved. However, soft seats are not the best for prolonged highway use (where firm seats offer better back support).

5. Check up with after-market part suppliers if anyone has comfort-oriented dampers. Most usually only sell performance oriented stuff, but you may just end up lucky. You might want to try out the variable-damping Koni FSDs

6. Have your current suspension given the once over. Good chance that at 40,000 kms, the suspension is past its prime.
Old 9th January 2010, 19:42   #8
BHPian

Turanza GR-80

I was just looking at bridgestone GR-80 on their site. Is it better than ER-60
Old 9th January 2010, 20:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. Look at after-market upholstery experts, and redo the seat cushioning. Choose super-soft foam.
Would you happen to know some after-market upholstery expert in Bombay?
Old 9th January 2010, 20:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap9dm View Post
H
2. After market dampers, shocks, Koni and Pedders suspension. I heard too many conflicting opinions about these. Without messing up the car too much, what gives the best comfort.
Like GTO said, after market is usually stiffer so you are pretty much out of luck there.

I am not sure about this but parts from the RItz might work. But you have to really study it and make sure it works.
Old 10th January 2010, 17:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001bhp View Post
Dude,even the Corolla rides quite stiff!
Old 10th January 2010, 18:00   #12
1001bhp

I dunno about other cars but when compared to my swift,its like heaven.

Old 10th January 2010, 23:39   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap9dm View Post
My current tyres have run around 40k kms and always keep the PSI lower in city. I guess the rubber has got hard because things were not so bad initially.
There you go! At 40K, your tyres have running out of their optimal performance window. First things first, choose some soft compound rubber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Would you happen to know some after-market upholstery expert in Bombay?
Cheap + good quality (not excellent, but good) = Chandrakant. 2431.5022 / 98215.77030. I've gotten my Jeep's seats done up from him, complete with foam, framing et all. Was pretty happy with the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Dude,even the Corolla rides quite stiff!
The previous gen Corolla had a pretty lousy / basic suspension setup. On the other hand, the Altis is better.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:31   #14
BHPian

Please suggest a good soft compound rubber based tyre. I did a lot of research on the forum, but am confused between ER-60 and Michellin XM1+.

There are conflicting reports, however based on the report I can make out that XM1+ is more comfortable. However am a bit worried about the soft sidewall, I already had a sidewall puncture in my GIII Potenza.

Hope someone will help me answer whether the comfort of XM1+ is so much more than ER-60 that it is worth the more risk of sidewall puncture

Quote:
There you go! At 40K, your tyres have running out of their optimal performance window. First things first, choose some soft compound rubber.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:49   #15
BHPian

The XM1's will most definitely improve your city ride, but these are not the best tyres if you happen to do good enough highway rides. I have these on our family Tavera & it offers super ride in the city, but one of the tyres burst on the highway. When we spoke to the dealer he said that the Michelin's were of a much softer compound & the tyre burst due to excessive heat. We recently replaced the tyres of Bridgestone. The ride is almost as good as before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks