Team-BHP - Ritz modification - How to increase low end torque
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Ritz modification - How to increase low end torque (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/73529-ritz-modification-how-increase-low-end-torque.html)

I am having issues in low speed torque of Ritz VDi, sometimes engine switches off due to low torque. Is there a way to increase low speed torque? I need your advice to do some modifications. My questions are

1) K&N Air filter - Replacing Stock filter with K&N which costs around 5K, will it improve low speed torque?

2) Pete Tuning kit - Costs around 28K - Will it improve low speed torque? I know it works well at high speeds, not sure about 1000-1500 RPM range.

Thanks

Apart from the above mentioned. Get a good Free Flow exhaust, exclusively modified for low end torque.

if your diesel manages to stall i think you need to concentrate more on your driving style than on modding the car. i dont mean to offend you but diesels have more than enough torque to stop the car from stalling even if you release the clutch without pressing the accel.

if you do want to improve the torque even more. petes tuning box is the way to go. it is very reliable and it will make a big difference. also get a high performance air filter with that.

dude for low end torque i think you should just get a filter.it wouldnt really make a massive difference but yea for what you're looking for i think it should be good enough.or else you could get a custom exhaust.
are why do you want to increase torque in the range of 1000-1500 rpm?? you idle at 800.

as for an ecu for the vdi since you are in banglore RD would be a good option..

and yes a custom exhaust for a diesel is going to be a pain..

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 1679735)
if your diesel manages to stall i think you need to concentrate more on your driving style than on modding the car. i dont mean to offend you but diesels have more than enough torque to stop the car from stalling even if you release the clutch without pressing the accel.

if you do want to improve the torque even more. petes tuning box is the way to go. it is very reliable and it will make a big difference. also get a high performance air filter with that.

I have been using diesel cars since 2005 and never had problems with other cars. I want to make sure that Petes tuning box does improve low end torque. I am sure that it will increase performance up right after 2000 RPM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe (Post 1679742)
dude for low end torque i think you should just get a filter.it wouldnt really make a massive difference but yea for what you're looking for i think it should be good enough.or else you could get a custom exhaust.
are why do you want to increase torque in the range of 1000-1500 rpm?? you idle at 800.

as for an ecu for the vdi since you are in banglore RD would be a good option..

Yes, Idle at 800, with AC, it goes upto 900. But in the slow moving traffic of Bangalore, i need to get it running at 1000-1500 to be in the crowd. Which Airfilter do you suggest?

@sushrutha, which free flow exhaust? Remus??

From what i have observed Swift VDI has a good low end torque and you can really feel it whereas at the top end i feel its slower than the Ritz VDI. The reason is power and torque figures being the same at exactly the same RPMs for both the cars Ritz loses its bottom end for a higher top end. Just try accelerating from 100 to 130 kph with 4 people and luggage in both the cars you will be surprised at how well the Ritz moves at those speeds.I found this aspect of the Ritz very usefull in overtaking those Volvos on the highways without strain.The other thing is this higher top end helps in better fuel economy at speed of 100-120 because the engine feels less strained.
But i do agree that the lack of bottom end torque is frustrating in traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by damodar (Post 1679854)
From what i have observed Swift VDI has a good low end torque and you can really feel it whereas at the top end i feel its slower than the Ritz VDI. The reason is power and torque figures being the same at exactly the same RPMs for both the cars Ritz loses its bottom end for a higher top end. Just try accelerating from 100 to 130 kph with 4 people and luggage in both the cars you will be surprised at how well the Ritz moves at those speeds.I found this aspect of the Ritz very usefull in overtaking those Volvos on the highways without strain.The other thing is this higher top end helps in better fuel economy at speed of 100-120 because the engine feels less strained.

How can the same engine at same tuning levels have different characteritics in 2 not so different cars ?

Swift VDI and Ritz VDI are essentialy the same engine and share all components from engine internals to gear box ratios. The difference however, is in design and to an extent chasis - which will only contribute to handling and high speed cornering differences.

Accelerating form 100 to 130 with full load, with gear being common will essentially be the same for both cars - the difference if exists will be very marginal - that maybe attributed to the (kerb) weight of the vehicles

Just my though - may not be entirely right

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi10 (Post 1679886)
How can the same engine at same tuning levels have different characteritics in 2 not so different cars ?

Swift VDI and Ritz VDI are essentialy the same engine and share all components from engine internals to gear box ratios. The difference however, is in design and to an extent chasis - which will only contribute to handling and high speed cornering differences.

Accelerating form 100 to 130 with full load, with gear being common will essentially be the same for both cars - the difference if exists will be very marginal - that maybe attributed to the (kerb) weight of the vehicles

Just my though - may not be entirely right

Quote:

Originally Posted by damodar (Post 1679854)

One small change in Ritz VDi is that tuned for Euro IV (Bharat Stage IV). Swift VDi is Euro III which is quicker in low band. I have no issues in high speeds, once i reach 2000RPMs, it rocks and pulls like a truck.

If its a case of turbo lag, i doubt a filter or FFE are gonna make any difference below boost rpm.

If Petes box can lower the boost rpm then that would be more practical.

Or else, just change your driving style and make sure the rpm is around 2000 when you need sudden acceleration.

Shan2nu

Try driving another Swift VDi or Ritz VDi ( or LDi ) . I dont think its coz of low end torque.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funda2max (Post 1680201)
One small change in Ritz VDi is that tuned for Euro IV (Bharat Stage IV). Swift VDi is Euro III which is quicker in low band. I have no issues in high speeds, once i reach 2000RPMs, it rocks and pulls like a truck.

My point was that if a car has better top end it is not possible to have good bottom end unless the engine has VGT.Come april 2010 even swift DDIS will become Euro4 so it will lose on its bottom end! I guess if we can get the Ritz to Euro 3 specs then there will be improvement in bottom end.

I assume that you are mentioning about the rolling of the car when you release the clutch which doesn't seem to be happening your case hence the stalling in traffic. Would recommend that you go back to the service center and request them to up the idle by an additional 100 - 150 rpm. that would be the best solution to your problem.

hey i think if you change your driving stile a tad bit i think you should be fine..

You haven't driven a turbo-diesel before have you? It's not the torque that's the problem here....the 1.3 diesel is a pretty peppy unit.

It's the Turbo-Lag! You need to give her some more revvs before taking your foot entirely off the clutch. Just a matter of getting used to, I guess.

If you do want to improve matters (read = more power / torque), get a Petes box.

I too drive a Ritz Vdi and I would say it has tremendous pulling power (torque: 190 Nm @ 2000 rpm) in comparison to the petrol engine (Swift) 113 Nm @ 4500 rpm (Ritz vdi - 75 PS @ 4000 rpm vs Swift Petrol - 88 PS @ 6000 rpm). Theoritically, if you looked at the power-torque curve there are more usable power as well as torque in the lower band than petrol engines. But practically the Turbo starts at 2000 rpm and once it reaches that mark the car moves like a rocket. But there is a tourbo lag below 2000 rpm, to overcome that you have to play with the gear shift. What I experienced - in a bumper to bumper traffic one can roll the car in first gear with out pressing clutch pedal and no sign of stalling. In little more relaxed traffic once I up shift to 2nd @ 1200-1500 rpm the car suddenly start rolling like mad. The engine itself a peppy one (as mentioned by GTO also), just try to upshift once you reach 2000 rpm in any of the gear. You'll experience the same feel of a petrol engine car. Happy driving.