Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 23:17   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
I'm gonna go with Shivaji Nagar Do you know any shops there? and Depo lights are just 1800?! Where can I get them?

Now I'm excited! I was telling myself that I wont go ahead with this if the prices are unreasonable. If this works out, I will use my old setup to try and experiment on a DIY projector setup.

Tassem.
no contacts boss, try pavan kadam he gets a lot of stuff from there. The Depo lights are from singapore and they are as good as stanley, but are cheaper, i would suggest look for old lancer headlights (evo 5 type) in shivaji nagar itself and BTW i need your right Head lamp if you are planning a swap (advance booking ), mine has a cracked glass.

Pramod
Old 27th July 2010, 23:58   #107
BHPian

Do you mean I gotta personally import the Depo lamps? I'm sure I understood it wrong.

I usually get my spares from General Spares near JC Road. Till date they've never disappointed when it came to spares. I got the OEM fog lamps from them. The one I have is manufactured by Neolite but the F&F is equal to that of the Mitsu one. Plus every other dealer said that the product is not manufactured anymore as its an outdated model. The Neolite ones are great though!!

Perhaps they'll have the Depo lamps as well. Fingers crossed.

As for the right headlamp, you can have it. So start praying that I find the lights and a hood!

Tassem.

P.S In case anyone needs: General Spares: (Mr. Santhosh) 080-22481104
Old 28th July 2010, 15:40   #108
BHPian

Spoke to General Spares. They have Depo replacement headlamps for all the lancer models and they range between 2-3k each. A replacement bonnet will cost 6k without paint. The front grill also requires replacement but its not available.

I guess I can get a mesh grill instead. I'll be going there next weekend to check out the headlights.

BTW Are the DEPO lamps of good quality?

Tassem.

@MODS: Please move this conversation to a new thread if required.
Old 28th July 2010, 19:00   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spoke to General Spares. They have Depo replacement headlamps for all the lancer models and they range between 2-3k each. A replacement bonnet will cost 6k without paint. The front grill also requires replacement but its not available.

I guess I can get a mesh grill instead. I'll be going there next weekend to check out the headlights.

BTW Are the DEPO lamps of good quality?

Tassem.

@MODS: Please move this conversation to a new thread if required.
As per my experience Depo head lights are equally good, Yes the grill availability is a problem here as well, try shivaji nagar, Mesh grill will begreat see if you can get a EVO 5 bumper , with integrated grill from somewhere, will make your car a looker.

Pramod
Old 30th July 2010, 14:14   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Will such a setup work if retrofitted to a headlamp that has fresnel lens in the front, unlike clear lens lamps?

I'm referring to the Old Lancer headlamps. I'm already running HIDs, but a lot of the usable light is lost by the haphazard focusing.

Tassem.
Projectors wont function well on non clear glass light , Retro fitting in a lancer will be tough job too cause of the design of the light.
Old 30th July 2010, 21:03   #111
BHPian

Hi Friends

I am contemplating buying a full HID conversion kit from the Retro Rides for my OHC and I have a few questions

* The proprietor said that ballasts were not of digital type. What are the advantages of digital over the normal ones?

* I understand these kits are from China. Will there be any problems caused to the car if I install these?

* Is 6000K temperature the best?

* If I use duplicate headlamp assembly - will there be any problem
Old 30th July 2010, 21:28   #112
BHPian

@Pramod: Thanks.. Will be swinging by SHivaji Nagar if possible tomorrow. I had a trip but that got cancelled. So lots of free time!

@noidaboy: Exactly my fear! I feel the space inside the reflector of the lancer wont provide adequate seating for a projector. And of course the fresnel front is a problem like you said.

@Games: Why are buying the HID kit online? Just get the reflectors and then buy the HID locally. This way any warranty claims would be easier for you.

As for ballasts, the digital type is slimmer than the older ones. They also have a claimed lower rate of failure and consume less power. (This is relative since HIDs already have lower power consumption that regular halogens.) Digital ballasts uses microprocessors as opposed to magnetic relays in the older models.

However, you dont really need to break your head over ballast type as there are hundreds of thousands of cars running the old setup succesfully. Either of these should outlast your car if bought from a reputed manufacturer.

*To answer your second question, Chinese quality control is now better than ever. Some of the best products come from china. Most manufacturers have parts sourced from China. However, stay away from no name brands. Get a reputed HID kit locally with warranty. It will be money well spent.

*6000K HID - Anybody who looks at your light will be able to distinguish it. Its white with a slight tinge of blue and is perhaps the most common. Your car will stand out when the lights are switched on. Sorta like clothes washed in Neelam However, if you choose function over form, I Would suggest get 4500K HIDs. They are true white with minimal tinge and offers superior brightness. Very Very bright. But they wont have the trademark blue tinge of the common HIDs. Again, its better to get from a local dealer as you can get a trial before purchase. Avoid going above 6000K as you will compromise on brightness. Also color rendering would be affected.

*There is no such thing as a duplicate assembly. Only OEM or not. As you may have read above I am contemplating on getting a Depo kit for my car. And Over the last couple of days I saw two cars with Depo lamps and they are not in any way inferior to the OEM versions. Also you do stand the chance of bettering the current quality of lamps as most of the lamps you can purchase now are manufactured better than what we have on our older cars. This is subjective though.

Tassem.
Old 30th July 2010, 22:57   #113
BHPian

Quote:
@Pramod: Thanks.. Will be swinging by SHivaji Nagar if possible tomorrow. I had a trip but that got cancelled. So lots of free time!

@Games: Why are buying the HID kit online? Just get the reflectors and then buy the HID locally. This way any warranty claims would be easier for you.
Tassem thanks for clearing all my doubts. Retro rides is a shop in India itself (in Delhi I think) and they will courier me the entire assembly (headlamps included)

I had enquired long and hard to get the conversion done in Kerala itself but to no avail. No one in Kerala seems to do such conversions. Looks like retro rides is the only option for me now (either that or DIY - which I am not very confident about)

Quote:
*There is no such thing as a duplicate assembly. Only OEM or not. As you may have read above I am contemplating on getting a Depo kit for my car. And Over the last couple of days I saw two cars with Depo lamps and they are not in any way inferior to the OEM versions. Also you do stand the chance of bettering the current quality of lamps as most of the lamps you can purchase now are manufactured better than what we have on our older cars. This is subjective though.

Tassem.
I meant the duplicate headlamp assembly. The retro rides guys told me that either I can courier my headlamps to them for the conversion (which I am unable to do since my car would become unusable for a few days) or they would buy one themselves, do the conversion and mail it to me. They quoted 3K for a pair of headlamps for the OHC and since its so cheap I am guessing its not OEM honda ones. So I was wondering if that would be an issue. I'm cool with using non-OEM ones, as long as they don't cause any trouble.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:10   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Hi Friends

I am contemplating buying a full HID conversion kit from the Retro Rides for my OHC and I have a few questions

* The proprietor said that ballasts were not of digital type. What are the advantages of digital over the normal ones?

* I understand these kits are from China. Will there be any problems caused to the car if I install these?

* Is 6000K temperature the best?

* If I use duplicate headlamp assembly - will there be any problem
w

The market is flooded with HID's from china, For the price they work fine. Avoid the once called LUCIE or something like that. The output is not upto the mark.

The only difference i feel between digital and normal ballast is the size when it comes to Chinese hid's. With my personal experience i think the fat ballast lasts longer then the slim digital one's

6000K will be good.

Duplicate headlamp assembly will not be a problem if you going to use a projector setup, If not then it might not be as good as the OE lamps due to the quality of the reflector.
Old 26th June 2011, 22:05   #115
BHPian

Re: Projector setup on my Honda city

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I am thinking of getting xenon projectors for my ANHC. Is this kit readily available in India? If this isn't is it possible to source it from US or any other country?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks