Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 09:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Lancer Paints/Coats Thread. Suggestions solicited.

Hi guys. I'm painted in a dilemma.

I wanted to do up my Lancer SFXi (Yellow)
It has quite a lot of dents and scratches now
and I deem fit for a repaint.

Since there are a lot of threads on individuals
(@Torqued, @regnex, @pramodkumar, @mikalyil, @Ripper)
re-painting/ re-doing their lancers, I thought
it would be helpful if we could have data and
inputs at one place.

I was very keen on red, butttt, I have a problem
now as many people including me like the OEM Yellow
called Yellow (Aussie) by Mitsubishi, as per this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ar-colour.html

So I asked my folks at home once again and they
thought yellow (aussie) was a taxi color and most of them
had a facination for red.

However since red sedans were running through my mind
all week, I observed the beautiful red shade on all
Hyundai cars. Be it the Santro, Getz, Verna or the
Accent Viva. Their red stands apart from the standard.

I was wondering how would that Hyundai red look on a
Lancer ? I talked to a Mod expert here and he said
it would not look very good. But I've seen Vernas and
Accents look pretty good and the bright color stands
out from the other reds, even Swift in a red.

Please help me with this one as I have only one
day before I hand it over to the paint professionals.
I have uploaded some snaps, so that one can get a feel
of how the colors are and look on the Lancer.
I have not masked the plates as these are all over the net.

Kindly advise.

Warm Regards,
Pervez.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Lancer Paints/Coats Thread. Suggestions solicited.-oem-yellow-lancer.jpg  

Mitsubishi Lancer Paints/Coats Thread. Suggestions solicited.-oem-red-lancer.jpg  

Mitsubishi Lancer Paints/Coats Thread. Suggestions solicited.-oem-red-lancer1.jpg  

Mitsubishi Lancer Paints/Coats Thread. Suggestions solicited.-oem-red-lancer2.jpg  

Mitsubishi Lancer Paints/Coats Thread. Suggestions solicited.-oem-hyundai-getz-red.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by prince_pervez : 4th February 2010 at 09:53.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest not to change the color, the problem is however good this is done it has its own issues, I had an esteem which was white and i changed it to black, it was all fine for a year, then the paint started pealing off near the beedings and the white underneath was getting exposed, and i hope you can understand how disturbing the sight would be.

Having said that Red lancers have a leauge of their own with dark black tints and silver/ white mirror lip 15" alloys and 205" rubber it looks mean. Personally i love the red on the hundai Verna. But the orignal ferrari red also looks cool.

I personally would suggest to keep the color yellow and may be a different shade of yello as red lancers are way too common and yellow lancers are exceedingly rare. I also heard a lots of things from people when i bought a white esteem, people used to call it a taxi/govt vehicle. But seriously i dont care. I would suggest go for a 3 stage pearl yellow from the lambo catalouge. I will post an example of a swift done in that color.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...a-dscn3423.jpg

You can go for a little lighter shade if the yellow is too disturbing for the eye. A yellow black combo or a yellow white combo will look killer.

I would suggest look at all the options(other bhpians openions) before taking a call.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 4th February 2010 at 12:52.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:07   #3
BHPian

Agree with that...changing color is a pain and would rather go for a couple of coats ontop of the existing paint.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are too tempted to go for red, forget our views and go ahead with your plan.But selecting a paintshop is the key. There already a thread exists on Bangalore paint shop, Instead of hurrying I request you to spend some time in selecting good paintshop.

I love that lambo yellow pramod posted, How about lambo yellow (its not a taxi colour) black alloys and dark sunfilm? I think Tata Nano yellow is pretty close to this yellow. man nano looks awesome in that colour.

Whenever I see a yellow lancer it brings smile in to my face :-)

Last edited by Latheesh : 4th February 2010 at 13:26.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:28   #5
Team-BHP Support

Pervez, don't go for a colour change, it's a pain and the car will need to be stripped. Putting it back together means some rattles will creep in and some small issues.

The yellow on the SFXi is not really the taxi yellow. I was this close to getting the yellow but they agreed on the black.

The yellow stands out the best in the SFXi.

Regarding where to get it done in bangalore. Head to Sai Colorium and not our A.S.S.
Old 4th February 2010, 14:46   #6
BHPian

Prince, IF you really want it RED & dont mind going through a little pain,have a look at this red lancer.

Just make sure you get it done from a right place.

Here's a link to RED LANCER TURBO -

Team-BHP Classifieds - Mitsubishi Lancer Turbo - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 4th February 2010, 15:27   #7
BHPian

I have a similar question here.
I have a 2003 black lancer. it too has developed a lot of minor dents and scratches over the years.

Can i just get the minor dents fixed or filled in with putty/paint lambi and do a couple of coats of the original Mitsubishi magic Black and then get a couple of clear coats for that wet shiny look.

the body kit also has been battered and the joints with metal are cracked due to running on bad roads and a couple of mud towing.
Will getting these cracks(in bodykits) /dents and 2 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear coat fixed suffice to get the car back lookign great.

I preferably dont want it to be stripped down since putting back everything will introduce too many issues, for which i don't have time to fix.

how much would a typical denting painting job cost. with my above specifications
Old 4th February 2010, 15:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post

how much would a typical denting painting job cost. with my above specifications

Its called an over coating, 10-12 k max, but do not make it sound like you need a quick fix else the work might become shabby.

Pramod
Old 4th February 2010, 17:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Guys thanks a lot. I was busy in a training and will reply to each quote in detail, but currently if I have do a color change then it would be exterior only not the engine bay. So no issues with regards to re-plonking the stuff back in. That is bad but, that is also one of the options Sai is giving me.
How bad is that ?

More later. Thanks and let the suggestions coming.
How is Hyundai red. Any comments ?
Old 4th February 2010, 18:14   #10
BHPian

Ok, here's my take. I would agree to what pramod and the others have said with regard to colour change. If the painting is done after scrapping the original paint, then i guess there shouldn't be a problem BUT that would mean extra Vitamin M pumping and the whole thing could run upto 40K. If thats your ride in the pic above then dude i must say Yellow looks cool, id say keep it in the original shade as repainting would depreciate the so called non existent resale value of the vehicle. I am telling you this as my folks have not really liked the repaint job done on my car (Note my cars colour was changed from silver to black, will be getting it fixed next week. Will post pics then.

One thing i have learnt while doing up my car is that Lancer's spares are expensive, so after stripping down the car a lot of things may not go back on, do keep that in mind.

One more thing i really liked the lambo yellow pramod posted. That with black wheels and smoked tail lamps and blackened window frames, your ride would look chic. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by Ripper : 4th February 2010 at 18:16.
Old 5th February 2010, 00:17   #11
BHPian

Well Pervez,

My lancer was originally black magic and I had it changed to the white and black stripe it is now, if you have the time and the budget to get your existing paint scraped then the colour change will not cause any issues like chipping etc...you will require a workshop that uses good material and has a good painter, that goes without saying.

Regarding your Verna Red, I advice against it...look into the EVO X red, or go for something different like a glossy orange....pics attached for visualisation

Hope I helped

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Lancer Paints/Coats Thread. Suggestions solicited.-2010mitsubishievox01.jpg  

Mitsubishi Lancer Paints/Coats Thread. Suggestions solicited.-mitsubishi-evo50304.jpeg  

Old 8th February 2010, 12:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I would suggest not to change the color, the problem is however good this is done it has its own issues
Suggestion taken
Quote:
Having said that Red lancers have a leauge of their own with dark black tints and silver/ white mirror lip 15" alloys and 205" rubber it looks mean. Personally i love the red on the hundai Verna. But the orignal ferrari red also looks cool.
I agree a red Lancer would give many cars a run for their money as far as looks are concerned. I just wanted to try the Verna red on the Lancer, but of course it would have been an expensive R&D.
Quote:
I personally would suggest to keep the color yellow and may be a different shade of yello as red lancers are way too common and yellow lancers are exceedingly rare.
Point taken!
Quote:
I would suggest go for a 3 stage pearl yellow from the lambo catalouge. I will post an example of a swift done in that color.
Ahh! That did not go well with family so I think I'll have to skip that one.
Quote:
I would suggest look at all the options(other bhpians openions) before taking a call.
I have compiled all the suggestions and taken a call with the general consensus.

Thanks Pramod!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Agree with that...changing color is a pain and would rather go for a couple of coats ontop of the existing paint.
Point taken sir. I am going with the yellow (aussie) color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
But selecting a paintshop is the key. There already a thread exists on Bangalore paint shop, Instead of hurrying I request you to spend some time in selecting good paintshop.
I am going for Sai Colorium. Mr. Khan there swears about the paint quality.
Quote:
Whenever I see a yellow lancer it brings smile in to my face :-)
That makes 2 of us and many more on the forum. I was pained when majority of my family members said that yellow looked like a taxi and that red would look great, but seriously nothing beats yellow on the SFXi design (after putting on the skirts all around).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Pervez, don't go for a colour change, it's a pain and the car will need to be stripped. Putting it back together means some rattles will creep in and some small issues.
Exactly! I explained this very point to my folks and they were not ready that I share more time with the car rather than them.
Quote:
The yellow on the SFXi is not really the taxi yellow. I was this close to getting the yellow but they agreed on the black.
Aaah famliy!
Quote:
The yellow stands out the best in the SFXi.
I couldn't agree more.
Quote:
Regarding where to get it done in bangalore. Head to Sai Colorium and not our A.S.S.
Gotcha! I did exactly that. Thanks Viduth for ya time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal View Post
Prince, IF you really want it RED & dont mind going through a little pain,have a look at this red lancer.
Neil, thats a superb pic. If I have car like that, I'd look at it for hours together. When I meant red, that was the exact one I wanted. Saving the pic for later .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Ok, here's my take. I would agree to what pramod and the others have said with regard to colour change.
Taken!
Quote:
If the painting is done after scrapping the original paint, then i guess there shouldn't be a problem BUT that would mean extra Vitamin M pumping and the whole thing could run upto 40K.
Mr. Khan there said he would strip it to the company binder/primer level and not expose the steel/metal beneath, and, work from there.
Quote:
If thats your ride in the pic above then dude i must say Yellow looks cool
Thats not ma ride, but it is exactly the same minus some deep gashes and scratches.
Quote:
id say keep it in the original shade as repainting would depreciate the so called non existent resale value of the vehicle.
I intend to keep this classic and sell to a car museum later. I hope T-Bhp has one soon.
Quote:
One thing i have learnt while doing up my car is that Lancer's spares are expensive
Ohh! Tell me and Viduth about that!
Quote:
so after stripping down the car a lot of things may not go back on, do keep that in mind.
I have etched that on my forehead now.
@Ripper, thanks for you profound inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post
Well Pervez,

My lancer was originally black magic and I had it changed to the white and black stripe it is now,
AND HOW!
Quote:
if you have the time and the budget to get your existing paint scraped then the colour change will not cause any issues like chipping etc...you will require a workshop that uses good material and has a good painter, that goes without saying.
I got it!
Quote:
Regarding your Verna Red, I advice against it...
Kyun yaaaar. Thanks @Torqued for your valuable inputs.

Ok Guys,
So after taking valuable inputs from the experts here, I have decided on the following:

1) Aussie Yellow remains.
2) Sai Colorium.
In fact I have left it with them there last Friday and Mr. Khan has been more than helpful. He showed me around the paint booth and the WIP stuff and also how he would go around with my job. Made the job card. He also suggested me a few things that could go wrong later and adviced me to get it done with this job itself.
3) Hundai Red can take a hike for now. (but I haven;t forgotten you.)
4) Would be replacing the boot lid.
5) Getting front skirts manufactured there.
6) May get a fresh grill.
7) New badges.
8) A few interior repairs.
9) Alloys painting.

I will let you guys know about the quote as I'd require permission from Sai Colorium.

One more question.

What color should disc calipers be ?
For a yellow lancer, I think Red, Blue or again Yellow.
Kindly advise.

Thanks to all. Team Bhp rocks and so do its members.

Warm Regards,
Pervez.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Getting front skirts manufactured there.

PM me the price for this the back and side skirts.

Pramod
Old 8th February 2010, 14:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
One more question.

What color should disc calipers be ?
For a yellow lancer, I think Red, Blue or again Yellow.
Kindly advise.
A visual example might help in suggesting the caliper color.

I think red would go well.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Lancer Paints/Coats Thread. Suggestions solicited.-red-calipers.jpg  

Mitsubishi Lancer Paints/Coats Thread. Suggestions solicited.-skunkcalip.jpg  

Mitsubishi Lancer Paints/Coats Thread. Suggestions solicited.-calipercompare.jpg  

Old 8th February 2010, 16:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Dude the lancer is one of the rare cars which look so good in Yellow, why change?

If it has gone dull then do a re-coat or something.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks