Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2005, 11:06   #1
BHPian

Universal Turbo Timer !!!

Hi,

We have introduces The Evotion Electronic Turbo Timer ....

I would like to hear your comments on it...

PJ
Old 18th September 2005, 11:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi

I've heard of this piece of equipment, but not sure how it works. Can you give us more information on this product? Seeing that Pete is unlikely to bring out a tuning box for the Safari, I need to start looking out for alternatives.

Question is - does this improve performance or is it just a protection device?

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th September 2005 at 11:29.
Old 18th September 2005, 11:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSPEED
Hi,

We have introduces The Evotion Electronic Turbo Timer ....

I would like to hear your comments on it...

PJ
We would like to hear your details...
Old 18th September 2005, 12:47   #4
BHPian

From what i have read and heard this is what a Universal Turbo timer does :
A turbo timer is a device that allows your car to continue running after the key is removed in order to cycle oil through your turbo, preventing bearing damage and 'coking' of the oil lines. For certain vehicles, you will have to splice into your factory wiring for installation, while most Japanese vehicles have available 'plug-and-play' harnesses for a simple, splice-less installation.

Cheers
Old 19th September 2005, 11:45   #5
BHPian

Is this really required for the newer generation turbo-diesels? I have seen caution stickers in older diesel cars like the Sierra etc. that suggested a one minute idle before shutting the engine.

But in my 220, there is no such recommendation in the manual or otherwise

GTO
Old 19th September 2005, 14:04   #6
Team-BHP Support

dont see that sticker even in Tata Indigo now. Did the manufacturers come with some new tech?
Old 19th September 2005, 14:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

No such sticker on the Dicor, either. They still feature on the Scorpio, though.
Old 19th September 2005, 14:49   #8
BHPian

I guess you wouldnt need it for most TCs in the diesel cars. I guessing that this is because they are not being worked as much as say a turbo in a Supra??? Does it have something to do with the boost?

BTW does a TC in a diesel car and a petrol car run upto the same rpms? I mean the engine speed in a diesel car is approx 75% of that of a petrol car. Does this mean that the TC will also be running at a lesser speed? (Sholud be according to a educated guess)
Old 21st September 2005, 11:35   #9
BHPian

Hi ,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...7&page=4&pp=15

I think sideways has a problem of melting of turbo is this because of not using the turbo timer????
Old 21st September 2005, 12:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahi0375
Hi ,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...7&page=4&pp=15

I think sideways has a problem of melting of turbo is this because of not using the turbo timer????
Turbo timers are just a delayed ignition shut off to prevent the bearings on a turbo being destroyed because of the high temperature that they handle, this delay allows for the turbo to stop spinning and the oil to drain back into the crankcase.

Turbo's typically would melt due to extreme operating temperatures and oil problems (vapourisation / stoppage of oil supply) while in use and not while stopping.

As for most of the newer turbo cars you would notice the turbo coming on a little later on the rev band (Turbo Lag) this would allow for the turbo to spool down enough when you stop your car and shut off your ignition. However where turbo's start spooling at low RPM's (typically modded cars) you would defn need a turbo timer.

One point that turbo'd owners should be careful about is when you start your car never rev it imm, wait for abt 30 secs for the oil to start flowing through your turbo.
Old 21st September 2005, 17:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
I guess you wouldnt need it for most TCs in the diesel cars. I guessing that this is because they are not being worked as much as say a turbo in a Supra??? Does it have something to do with the boost?

BTW does a TC in a diesel car and a petrol car run upto the same rpms? I mean the engine speed in a diesel car is approx 75% of that of a petrol car. Does this mean that the TC will also be running at a lesser speed? (Sholud be according to a educated guess)
Turbo speed on a given engine at any given time depends on: -

(D - directly proportional; I - indirectly proportional)

1) Velocity of exhaust gas flowing through it. - D

2) Total mass flow of exhaust gas flowing through it. - D

3) Oil pressure lubricating the turbo's bearing/bush. - I

4) Restriction (back pressure) at the compressor outlet. - D

Assume you have a petrol and a diesel of identical size and identical everything. Lets say a Indica petrol and Indica diesel. Then the following would be true: -

(a) At low RPM, the diesel would have higher (2) than the petrol. This is due to there being no throttle present on the intake.

(b) At low RPM, the diesel would have lower (1) because exhaust gas temperature (EGT) would be lower.

(c) At low RPM, the diesel would have lower (4) because there is no throttle on the intake.

a,b and c offset each other so it would be impossible to predict the relative speeds of the turbo at low RPM.

It is impossible for a diesel to rev as high as an equivalent petrol because you would run out of air to burn the fuel. Assume therefore, that the diesel redlines at 4000 rpm and the petrol at 6000 rpm. Then,

(d) At high RPM, the diesel would have lower (2) than the petrol. This is simply because the petrol is pumping more air due to its higher RPM, and the throttle on it is fully open (WOT condition).

(e) At high RPM, the diesel would have lower (1) because exhaust gas temperature (EGT) would be lower.

(f) At high RPM, the diesel would have higher (4) because both would be consuming the max. air they can, and as said in (d), the petrol would be consuming higher amounts of air.

Therefore, you can safely say that the petrol would definitely be spinning the turbo much faster than the diesel at higher rpms. It is not possible to predict what happens at lower rpms unless the exact numbers are known.

Ananth
Old 21st September 2005, 22:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

TurboDiesels run cool and dont need timers. Turbo Petrols that run high boost do (even the Octy RS is only 8psi I think and can do without one. )

Recomended for after market turbo setups where the the lubrication systems were never designed for turbo's heat and ones that dont use oil cooler.
Old 21st September 2005, 23:53   #13
BHPian

Hi guys thanks for all the reply.........I will keep you guys updated in cool products coming up soon...

PJ
Old 22nd September 2005, 09:00   #14
BHPian

Thanks Ananth. That was informative.
Old 26th October 2006, 22:58   #15

The official definition: A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to run down in speed and cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed.

So is it required still with the new Scorpio CRDe (Turbo-charged, Intercooled, DI, CRDe)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks