Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2005, 17:44   #16
BANNED

Actually BS-3 diesels have soot traps, you can see one on the Innova right after the turbo, it is a cylindrical outfit. If you are bypassing the muffler, consider adding a bigger air filter box as well and make sure it draws in fresh air from the front of the grille.
Old 21st September 2005, 17:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha
Actually BS-3 diesels have soot traps, you can see one on the Innova right after the turbo, it is a cylindrical outfit. If you are bypassing the muffler, consider adding a bigger air filter box as well and make sure it draws in fresh air from the front of the grille.
Yes I have seen this particle trap on the Innova...sorry!
Old 21st September 2005, 23:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Euro 3 does not require a soot filter. That's only for Euro 4.

What you saw was probably a 2 way cat.
Old 22nd September 2005, 08:31   #19
BANNED

It is a particulate filter, not a cat converter like in gassers in true sense but a oxidation catalyst with a particulate filter. In essence, a diesel cat is basically a trap.
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is a particulate filter, not a cat converter like in gassers in true sense but a oxidation catalyst with a particulate filter. In essence, a diesel cat is basically a trap.
In that case, you are not doing the environment any good by bypassing it. Nor are you significantly improving the performance. Have you tried making just a freeflow and seeing the difference?
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:01   #21
BANNED

Ananthkumar,

The purpose of free flow is exactly that, if you were to put a cat, it is restriction, my vehicle is Euro-I and as such, didn't come with a cat, the OM616 is quite low in pollution if the fuel filters are kept clean and IP is kept within specs.

Hummer H2 comes with a off road muffler bypass kit for its turbo diesel version which exactly implements what I have done.
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Once you guys decide between yourselves (Mpower, Gurkha, ananth) what the best way to improve performance is, let m know and I will implement it on the Safari.
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:18   #23
Team-BHP Support

did you try the link i gave you from overdrive? I think they do for most diesels
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
did you try the link i gave you from overdrive? I think they do for most diesels
I sent them an email - no response. I'm not going to call them on IDD unless I get some sort of response.
Old 22nd September 2005, 13:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ananthkumar,

The purpose of free flow is exactly that, if you were to put a cat, it is restriction, my vehicle is Euro-I and as such, didn't come with a cat, the OM616 is quite low in pollution if the fuel filters are kept clean and IP is kept within specs.
I agree partially. But there are ways to retain the cat AND gain performance. The purpose of a well-designed exhaust is to maximize velocity upto the diffusion point (muffler in the case of a NA engine or turbine in the case of a turbo engine) and then just dump the gases immediately. A good way to do this on your Turbo Trax would be to lead the gases out from the turbo into a large plenum chamber (typically ten times the engine displacement) and then use the cat after that. It sure as hell worked for me. Try it and then tell me if I'm wrong.

Ananth
Old 22nd September 2005, 13:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
A good way to do this on your Turbo Trax would be to lead the gases out from the turbo into a large plenum chamber (typically ten times the engine displacement) and then use the cat after that.

Ananth
Woo thats a 30 litre chamber on a Safari - sounds more like an auxillary fuel tank...
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:04   #27
BANNED

The turbine in itself is a muffler as it takes huge amount of inertia out of the exhaust pulses, as I mentioned before, Euro-I diesels didn't need cats or electronic IP, as such my emissions are way below the standard Euro-I requirement of .65% at .32 so I am not really worried, now let me ask you, as Steeroid mentions, where would I put a plenum that big in my already cramped Gurkha engine bay when there is already no space left for an a/c.
Old 22nd September 2005, 16:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The turbine in itself is a muffler as it takes huge amount of inertia out of the exhaust pulses,
....which is why you must dump the gases into the atmosphere as soon after the turbo as possible. The huge plenum gives pretty much the same effect.

Quote:
where would I put a plenum that big in my already cramped Gurkha engine bay when there is already no space left for an a/c.

I thought you put exhaust systems underneath the car, as opposed to inside the engine bay? Jokes apart, yes, in practice the huge volume is difficult to achieve...But if you have a properly designed shape (something like a two-stroke expansion chamber, rather than a ovular chamber) you can achieve the same effect in less volume, maybe half that amount.
Old 22nd September 2005, 17:10   #29
BANNED

Why bother when the straight pipe sounds better and vehicle gained more power and mpg as well as runs cooler. If you meant the plenum to be placed under the engine, then it serves the same purpose as a muffler of sorts.
Old 22nd September 2005, 19:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why bother when the straight pipe sounds better and vehicle gained more power and mpg as well as runs cooler. If you meant the plenum to be placed under the engine, then it serves the same purpose as a muffler of sorts.
How do you know you wont get better gains with the plenum? And you are resorting to inductive logic here, that just because the plenum is placed under the engine, it works like a muffler. I hope you are not joking.

Its tried and tested and it works. Both straight pipe AND plenum have been tried by me and they both work, but the plenum just works better, thats all. Lets not start a technical discussion on exhaust theory now. I can go on and on and on if you want to debate, though...

Ananth

Most Viewed