Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2010, 09:56   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
I am using the old one, the petrol lancer and cedia have a thinner radiator,so I think this will work pretty well.
Amey, i have heard a lot of issues about lancers overheating when turbocharged, your engine is bigger and going to be turbocharged so i feel a bigger radiator might do the trick, i may be wrong here.

Pramod
Old 16th July 2010, 07:26   #137
BHPian

Hey Amey congrats I thought you were still in Jakarta. Cant wait for your wideband readings. I am also using my stock ECU and was told that since its on closed loop it will work fine. I'm also planning to go for Megasquirt. Already started doing research on the same. i wish there was someone on team bhp who had done it. But last I heard our ECU's cant be re chipped the way HM has bought them out. I may be wrong but you will have to confirm. Are you using the INNOVate wideband? Where are you hooking it up because the OE O2 sensor will also be required for the stock ECU. So I guess you will need to drill another bung into your primaries.
Old 16th July 2010, 09:11   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwheels View Post
Hey Amey congrats I thought you were still in Jakarta. Cant wait for your wideband readings. I am also using my stock ECU and was told that since its on closed loop it will work fine. I'm also planning to go for Megasquirt. Already started doing research on the same. i wish there was someone on team bhp who had done it. But last I heard our ECU's cant be re chipped the way HM has bought them out. I may be wrong but you will have to confirm. Are you using the INNOVate wideband? Where are you hooking it up because the OE O2 sensor will also be required for the stock ECU. So I guess you will need to drill another bung into your primaries.
I have an Innovate wideband but am not using it right now.Will do so later on, first need to get the car moving fine and sort out minor issues and improve the reliability factor a bit.Then comes the tuning and data logging part.
Old 16th July 2010, 09:28   #139
BHPian

Test drove her for the first time yesterday.Although it was just a few hundred meters, it's still a big step for us
Old 16th July 2010, 19:50   #140
Senior - BHPian

Whoohoo! Nice to see real progress happening Amey.
Old 17th July 2010, 07:07   #141
BHPian

Thanks Immortalz.
Bumper fitting, headlamp,indicator,dash assembly done,just waiting for the MAF-Air Filter flange to arrive today so that we can install the filter and then its time for some on road trials
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:51   #142
BHPian

After waiting for 4 months, the car is finally back on the road.
We did drive her a couple of times in the garage itself, sorting out minor issues but now she is properly on the road, already drove around 100-120 kms and boy I am already loving it!

Here are a few pics,

Engine bay after completing engine swap in all respects,

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-22072010068.jpg

Custom made MAF sensor to Air Filter adapter.The filters have round mouth and the sensor has a square one...Arrgh
Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-22072010070.jpg

UCAl/Mikuni Fuel Filter from Maruti 800..Lol
Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-22072010071.jpg

Look at my innovative battery bracket!
Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-22072010072.jpg

Still on Michelin XM1+ 165/80/R13 tyres.
Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-22072010073.jpg

She comes home after a looooong time. Home sweet home
Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-22072010074.jpg

Initial impressions: She is quick, very torquey and eager.Thanks to the TDM ECU, she revvs right upto 7k rpm (more but havent pushed yet). The intake note is pretty aggressive. Still on stock headers and remaining plumbing till end can is still the old one.
On Monday I should get the exhaust done after the headers as current one is pretty restrictive. That should help a lot.
Very silent and sedate at normal speeds and rpm but things start getting interesting past 3k rpm mark and after 5k rpm its transforms into some sort of a beast, with its deafening growl and a scary sprint.
Loving every bit of it. There are still a few niggling issues but the joy of driving her is far more overpowering.

Still a long way to go,I know but then this is sort of a major stage completed.

Body/Chassis of a diesel lancer + Loom from a non power window Lancer with 4G93 engine + 4G94 engine from an indian Cedia
So it wasnt exactly a straightforward job atleast for us since me or my friend, Abhijit have no experience of doing engine swaps. Removing engines for rebuilding, removing looms and dismantling cars for painting or body work is no big deal for him but this is the first time he did such a job.

That's why it is a big achievement atleast for us to have accomplished till here. A good morale boost for the work to be done in the future.

Unfortunately I have no video but will take one and post it pretty soon.

Thanks,
Amey
Amey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:29   #143
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Congrats! Does this engine have variable valve timing (MIVEC right?)? Have you prepped up the Megasquirt and the LC-1?
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:59   #144
BHPian

@pranavt

as this is a cedias 4G94 engine it does not have variable timming MIVEC
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:23   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@pranavt

as this is a cedias 4G94 engine it does not have variable timming MIVEC
But the heads are swappable right?

Pramod
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:45   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Congrats! Does this engine have variable valve timing (MIVEC right?)? Have you prepped up the Megasquirt and the LC-1?
No this engine does not have variable valve timing aka MIVEC.Its the 4G92 1.6L engine from the same family that had MIVEC. So theoretically, even this engine can be made into MIVEC by swapping the head

Now that the car is running, I can concentrate on the Microsquirt and LC-1.
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:06   #147
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Swap the head then
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:12   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
No this engine does not have variable valve timing aka MIVEC.Its the 4G92 1.6L engine from the same family that had MIVEC. So theoretically, even this engine can be made into MIVEC by swapping the head

Now that the car is running, I can concentrate on the Microsquirt and LC-1.
Sweet, i wish they had a MIVEC head for 4G15 as well.

Pramod
Old 22nd July 2010, 20:48   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Swap the head then
4G94 block with MIVEC head with Turbo.....wow! exciting proposition but for now, I think I will stick with the SOHC turbo plan for now
Old 22nd July 2010, 21:45   #150
Senior - BHPian

Good to know its going well with the trial runs Amey

Btw whats wrong with the doors? If its oil & dirt then this is the first car of yours which I have ever seen dirty.

Most Viewed