Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:56   #1
BHPian

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer

Hi Guys,
I have a 1999 make Mitsubishi Lancer which is based on the CK8A chassis with 4D68 non turbo diesel indirect injection engine.
Since I don't use this car anymore as I have a Swift for my daily use, I was contemplating doing an engine swap in it and do some performance mods.As it will be sparingly used, I was basically thinking of making it into a project car.
The basic idea is to have a fun car, I am neither craving for numbers nor am I going to take her to drags and all,not interested in all that.
This will be an occasional night drive/weekend drive car,not used daily.

I tried searching a lot on Google regarding the above mentioned engine and chassis but found nothing.
From whatever info I have been able to gather till now, it seems that the CK8A chassis took only the 4D68 engine so the possibility of a bolt on engine swap seems difficult. Therefore I guess I will need to fabricate new mounts to accommodate a different engine.

So assuming that I would have to make new mounts, I could go for,

1) 4G93 (1.8 INVEX)
2) 4G94 (Cedia)
3) 4G63T
4) 4G92 MIVEC ( Next to impossible to find ?)

While taking some underbody snaps for future reference, I found out that the Diesel Lancer in India came with F5M41 transmission if that helps.

Can upload pics if required.

Any kind of help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Amey
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post

1) 4G93 (1.8 INVEX)
2) 4G94 (Cedia)
3) 4G63T
4) 4G92 MIVEC ( Next to impossible to find ?)
  1. Invex comes with an auto trany so mating it with the present GB will be a problem.
  2. Cedia engine is not a performer, so again no use
  3. 4G63T is a evo spec turbocharged engine, getting this down here will burn some serious holes in your pocket.
  4. 4G92 MIVEC is a straight 6 DOHC engine, this is the best swap and almost bold on, getting this is not at all impossible now, will cost you close to 200k for the import, rebuild and instalation.
They biggest let down in your case is the diesel, so an engine swap is inevitable for getting some juice out of your car, the current engine cannot be modifed as its a manual mill, cannot even be turbocharged to get impressive numbers. the only option that i see is get a MIVEC, I am not sure of the GB with a diesel but i think the 1.5 petrol GB is a bolton fit. Sideways also has a LSD in his GB and have heard its a fun to drive car.

I have a similar project going on i am planing to get a DOHC head for my 1.5 lancer, but availability is the biggest killer.

Post some pics of the car anyways, every lancer owner loves to admire other lancers like jeep owners do .

Edit: outlander comes with a 2.0 MIVEC, find out if the engine bay can accomdate it, max to max you might have to shift the battery to the boot.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 2nd March 2010 at 15:38.
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
4G92 MIVEC is a straight 6 DOHC engine

Dude, 4G92 MIVEC is the 1.6 Litre 4-cylinder engine.

Gentleman Amy, do look at the 4G93T.
Its a 1.8 turbocharged from the factory.
Lots of aftermarket goodies available off-the-shelf abroad.
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

Dude, 4G92 MIVEC is the 1.6 Litre 4-cylinder engine.

My Bad, the one Zak has on his car is a straight 6 MIVEC. I guess its off an outlander(not sure) i will ask him though.

Pramod
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

That should be the 6A12, IIRC.
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

Amey, 4G93T that came turbo'ed from the factory. -

Link.

Link 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
My Bad, the one Zak has on his car is a straight 6 MIVEC. I guess its off an outlander(not sure) i will ask him though.

Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
That should be the 6A12, IIRC.
IIRC that was a V6.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd March 2010 at 16:48.
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the 6A12 is a V6.
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes i too checked the internet and found out the mitsu has no straight 6 MIVEC. I have never seen Zaks car but i have herd people saying its a straight six, may be they got it wrong, my bad, sorry for my error.

Edit: I remember seeing a V6 badge on his lancer in his garage pics.

Pramod
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Zak's swap is a 6A12 V6. I wouldn't swap this engine in. No one knows how to work on it and it's very temperamental. Do the obvious EVO swap.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 2nd March 2010 at 19:40.
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal
Do the obvious EVO swap.
FWD to 4WD. EVO swap is far from obvious.
The easiest(relatively) would be the 4G92 MIVEC.
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Pfft. Since when did I ever suggest the easy way out?
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:34   #12

can i replace A 4g15 With A 4g63T in GLX Chassie. will it go bolt on bolt or i have to mod little as i am think to go with these engine. Getting from UAE or USA so plzz all guruji help me out
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Invex comes with an auto trany so mating it with the present GB will be a problem.
the diesel lancer has F5M41(Checked physically on my car) gearbox which can be mated 4G93. Issue is the gear ratios, which can be modified to suit the new engine.

Quote:
Cedia engine is not a performer, so again no use
Dont underestimate that engine, it has a cast iron block and the weak link is pistons and connecting rods, which can be changed to forged ones and you can also do head conversion from SOHC to DOHC and just the head change can give you ~20whp (Theoritically) And then if needed you can turbocharge it, the block can handle high boost.

Quote:
4G63T is a evo spec turbocharged engine, getting this down here will burn some serious holes in your pocket.
Not really if you search hard, you get Evo4/Evo 5 half cuts at decent prices. Already got a quote from a Malaysian scrap dealer who has both of these in stock.

Quote:
4G92 MIVEC is a straight 6 DOHC engine, this is the best swap and almost bold on, getting this is not at all impossible now, will cost you close to 200k for the import, rebuild and instalation.
4G92 MIVEC is a straight 4 not straight 6. Mine being a diesel lancer has CK8A chassis and I dont think it will be a bolt on like in the Petrol Lancer 1.5 one which has CK2A chassis code.Nothing is impossible but it isnt as easy you think it is either.costs can vary,you cant put a fixed price tag on it, importing part itself might cause cost variation.
Also AFAIK, this engine isnt made/sold anymore. It stopped in 2001 IIRC hence finding this engine wont be easy and lets assume you do find one, the condition of the engine is a big question mark. From whatever little I know, the 4G92 head is delicate so if that is damaged then whole project can go for a toss, its the head that is most important for the 4G92 IMHO.

Quote:
They biggest let down in your case is the diesel, so an engine swap is inevitable for getting some juice out of your car, the current engine cannot be modifed as its a manual mill, cannot even be turbocharged to get impressive numbers. the only option that i see is get a MIVEC, I am not sure of the GB with a diesel but i think the 1.5 petrol GB is a bolton fit. Sideways also has a LSD in his GB and have heard its a fun to drive car.
The 4D68 SOHC diesel unit in my car was also offered as a turbocharged variant known as the 4D68T but I am not interested in doing that, already have enough Turbo Diesel cars.hehe

Quote:
I have a similar project going on i am planing to get a DOHC head for my 1.5 lancer, but availability is the biggest killer.
It can be done, I know someone who has done it and can arrange one for you if you want. If you are really keen, let me know, will let you know all the details.

Quote:
outlander comes with a 2.0 MIVEC, find out if the engine bay can accomdate it, max to max you might have to shift the battery to the boot
The outlander has a 2.4L MIVEC which I think is the 4G69 MIVEC. Not sure about that but its too much of a trouble and too many modifications to fit that engine, so ruled out that option.

Quote:
Gentleman Amy, do look at the 4G93T.
Its a 1.8 turbocharged from the factory.
Lots of aftermarket goodies available off-the-shelf abroad.
Nitrous Anna,
I am aware of that but finding one is a bit difficult I guess,no ? Finding 4G63T is easier in comparison and has far more potential than the 4G93T,dont you think ?

Quote:
FWD to 4WD. EVO swap is far from obvious.
The easiest(relatively) would be the 4G92 MIVEC.
Aware of the FWD and AWD thing anna.looking into that already.

Quote:
can i replace A 4g15 With A 4g63T in GLX Chassie. will it go bolt on bolt or i have to mod little as i am think to go with these engine. Getting from UAE or USA so plzz all guruji help me out
4G63T wont be a bolt on,atleast I dont think so,4G92 will be though.If you plan to put the 4G63T then I guess you need to fabricate new mounts.
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:07   #14

"Not really if you search hard, you get Evo4/Evo 5 half cuts at decent prices. Already got a quote from a Malaysian scrap dealer who has both of these in stock"

Can you pm me that quote which you got from malaysian scrap dealer if you can plz
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:11   #15
BHPian

@Amey: Contact Autopsyche(Delhi), their work is superb with Lancers. I think they have got a FTO engine. Your machine would be a one of a kind. Goodluck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks