Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2010, 19:39   #211
BHPian

Here are a few pics of the car after the Konis were installed. Currently on stock springs as mentioned above.
My Getz was kind enough to lend her alloys for a bit of testing because doing handling tests with 185/70/R13 tyres and that too Michelin Energy XM1 is plain stupid,isnt it ?

The Getz was due for a tyre change so got new tyres and installed the rims on the lancer and boy o boy,what a difference in handling!
Btw I got Continental Premium Contact 2 195/50/R15 tyres. I wanted Michelin PS3 but unfortunately they weren't in stock.

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-26112010001.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-26112010002.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-26112010003.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-26112010004.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-26112010005.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-26112010006.jpg

Engine swap/Performance mods in Lancer-26112010007.jpg
Also, I dont have much pics of the front shocks because they are inserts.Since they are in the tube,they cant be seen.
The car will go for turbo,intercooler plumbing in the coming week.More updates later.

Last edited by Amey : 26th November 2010 at 19:40.
Amey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2010, 22:24   #212
Senior - BHPian

Looks brilliant !!!! What a transformation. The wheels look GOOD. The Konis (result awaited)

Cheers
Old 26th November 2010, 22:41   #213
Senior - BHPian

Price of those konis please, i am now running on 205 50 r 15 tyres and i feel the car is not planted. I was thinking of changing the shocks or maybe downgrading to 195 60 R 15

Pramod
Old 26th November 2010, 23:36   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Price of those konis please, i am now running on 205 50 r 15 tyres and i feel the car is not planted. I was thinking of changing the shocks or maybe downgrading to 195 60 R 15

Pramod
Dude what are you saying! I have never ever felt in the last 10 years of owning the lancer that it doesnt feel planted on the road,irrespective of what tyres she was on.
Even with those crappy 185/70/R13 Michelin Energy it felt completely planted even at 200 kmph man.
Amey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2010, 00:37   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Dude what are you saying! I have never ever felt in the last 10 years of owning the lancer that it doesnt feel planted on the road,irrespective of what tyres she was on.
Even with those crappy 185/70/R13 Michelin Energy it felt completely planted even at 200 kmph man.

Amey, you are right those crappy tyres inspire confidance.Like every one I too thought wide tyres improve handling. But its not true. These wider tyres tramline a lot and those sharp turns make me feel that the car might topple (as if there istoo much of body roll), but anyways lets not have a debate over here tell me howmuch are the konis for?

Pramod
Old 27th November 2010, 01:18   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Amey, you are right those crappy tyres inspire confidance.Like every one I too thought wide tyres improve handling. But its not true. These wider tyres tramline a lot and those sharp turns make me feel that the car might topple (as if there istoo much of body roll), but anyways lets not have a debate over here tell me howmuch are the konis for?

Pramod
I picked them up for 30k shipped.
Old 27th November 2010, 01:41   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Pramod
Its possible your shocks are worn out. That could cause this feeling, unless youve always felt this.

Amey - Any answer for my earlier question?
Old 27th November 2010, 09:37   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Amey - You seem to be using them on stock springs right? One question, how is the ride? Im considering getting these for my Accord, because I think the stock shocks cannot handle my 17" rims too well.
Hey Akshay, I completely forgot man, my bad. Anyway as for the ride quality with stock springs, well you can make out that the ride has become harsher but its not annoyingly stiff as if its going to break your back.
Its acceptable atleast for me.I hate the constant bouncy feeling you have in a car which has coilovers. It feels as if you are sitting on a stone or something. That feeling is fortunately not there.

I haven't driven a lot but whatever I have driven with the Low profile tyres, I 'THINK' I have got the perfect combo of stiffness and comfort for city driving.

Will keep updating as I use her more.Also I going to replace the springs with OEM but new ones as these ones have been used quite a lot.
Old 27th November 2010, 11:53   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Akshay, I completely forgot man, my bad. Anyway as for the ride quality with stock springs, well you can make out that the ride has become harsher but its not annoyingly stiff as if its going to break your back.
Its acceptable atleast for me.I hate the constant bouncy feeling you have in a car which has coilovers. It feels as if you are sitting on a stone or something. That feeling is fortunately not there.

I haven't driven a lot but whatever I have driven with the Low profile tyres, I 'THINK' I have got the perfect combo of stiffness and comfort for city driving.

Will keep updating as I use her more.Also I going to replace the springs with OEM but new ones as these ones have been used quite a lot.

Now you are scaring me. Are the coilovers "that" bad ?? I mean I suffer from a bad back as it is !!!

I really wish it works out for me.

Cheers
Old 27th November 2010, 13:13   #220
BHPian

Quote:

No, first goes the turbo,tuning,etc. and then the DOHC.
Doing D.O.H.C conversion later will require you to, re do intake plumbing, tuning and more mechanical work which might create a mess. Its better to get D.O.H.C conversion 1st, run N.A ,test setup for reliability, and then tune and last turbo.
I personally in not favor of opening engine head at later stage especially after turbo is set in and tuned.
You need a solid reliable engine when you tune your turbo setup. with all mechanical work complete before you jump on tuning scene.
Old 27th November 2010, 13:49   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Doing D.O.H.C conversion later will require you to, re do intake plumbing, tuning and more mechanical work which might create a mess. Its better to get D.O.H.C conversion 1st, run N.A ,test setup for reliability, and then tune and last turbo.
I personally in not favor of opening engine head at later stage especially after turbo is set in and tuned.
You need a solid reliable engine when you tune your turbo setup. with all mechanical work complete before you jump on tuning scene.
You have a point! Damn now again my turbo plans get delayed :(
Old 27th November 2010, 16:20   #222
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

What Jitu said.

And learn to play around with MS on an NA engine first. There is quite a bit of safety margin when tuning an NA engine.
Old 27th November 2010, 16:37   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is that true? Perhaps the car's coilovers in which you were in were not tuned properly.

I also assume the damping of the shocks in much better than stock? And the car would be more unfazed over rough patches, and high speed lane changes?
Old 29th November 2010, 22:25   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Is that true? Perhaps the car's coilovers in which you were in were not tuned properly.

I also assume the damping of the shocks in much better than stock? And the car would be more unfazed over rough patches, and high speed lane changes?
She is doing beautifully. Took her for a small drive to Lonavla and she was rock steady and handling just perfectly. I think the damping right now is just perfect,reduced body roll yet comfortable ride quality.Best of both worlds sort of thing.
I think I will stick to current stiffness settings as its perfect for the current power.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:31   #225
Senior - BHPian

: Not sure if anyone pointed this earlier and if you replied.
Dont you think that your signature represents an incorrect picture

Most Viewed