Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 19:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Did you sister do her haath-ki-safaai or indulge in destruction derby with this poor car? Get it repaired if the engine is in great condition.
Old 5th March 2010, 01:01   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
@Pramod So wait you're saying I should find out the price first from Kashmiri Gate, and then buy the goods from Jama Masjid? Why do? Whats the difference?
It would be good to take quote for your parts from atleast couple of guys at Kashmiri Gate. I have been to kashmiri Gate once to buy ORVMs for my OHC after they were stolen. To my surprise first shop offered me a pair (copy of original) for 2.7k while the second one gave the same pair to me for 1.6k.
427Cubes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2010, 12:30   #18
BHPian

@427Cubes What was the condition of the ORVMs?

OK so I've finally told the workshop to go ahead with the repairs...will be giving him frequent visits: twice a day, 20 minutes each.

And what about your opinions on the tyres?

Last edited by Dippy : 8th March 2010 at 11:49. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 5th March 2010, 18:13   #19

Quote:
@427Cubes What was the condition of the ORVMs?
They were new with acceptable quality for the price. These come in black plastic color and did not have “the objects are closer” text warning on the convex mirrors.

There were some remanufactured ORVMs available with original glass part hinged on to a casted (metallic) part that attaches mirror with car body for around 1k. But I stayed away from these.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th March 2010 at 18:40. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external fornt editors, also Preview before Submitting posts. thanks
Old 8th March 2010, 11:47   #20
BHPian

So the car is still going through denting work. Spoke to the denting guy, told him I'll see him everyday twice.

I told him the key to repairing this car is paying attention to the little things. He said he doesnt mind spending 2-3 days extra, but the end result will be good. These guys are actually quality conscious.

Looks like the denting and painting alone will take about 10-12 days. Long time eh? Am driving an Indica till then!!
Old 8th March 2010, 12:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the car is still going through denting work. Spoke to the denting guy, told him I'll see him everyday twice.

I told him the key to repairing this car is paying attention to the little things. He said he doesnt mind spending 2-3 days extra, but the end result will be good. These guys are actually quality conscious.

Looks like the denting and painting alone will take about 10-12 days. Long time eh? Am driving an Indica till then!!

Just go there silently and dont talk to them much, they should not feel you are rushing things too much. Well if you are talking 10-15 days let me tell you my car took 2 months complete for this work. Well in my case there was a labour issue at the workshop. Just go once in 2 days tell them to call you before applying the base coat and other coats.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2010, 14:20   #22
BHPian

I thought most of these steel panels came ready made, you just fit them in and paint. But if, on the other hand the panels and frames(for bumpers) are to be welded and tinkering, denting work is done, will it not affect the crash worthyness of the car. I mean these are monocoques, so changing the metal, guage of the metal(thickness) would change the entire weight and balance of the car and also the car would start pulling to one side, etc....or am i wrong ?? Just curious !
Old 8th March 2010, 14:21   #23
BHPian

Most of the work is body work so it wont take more than 10-15 if all goes well. The compressor and condensor fitting is a matter of only a day.
The guy's workshop is located right behind my dad's office, so whenever I take a trip there I visit the guy for 5 mins, just to re-emphasize that all I want is 'Quality'
Old 8th March 2010, 14:34   #24
BHPian

@rxpaul By steel panels, can you be more specific? Do you mean the bumper grills?
Old 8th March 2010, 15:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Some of these pics need to be censored. It is to strong for our hearts

Anyways, have come across a lot worse cars on the road.

As long as the engine is good, the body is no big deal at all. 80k odd is a very wise investment as it will be back to almost new, rather than you get peanuts for it in this state and you then go and buy another car.

But this agains is provided all the mechanicals are top notch.

Remember, just because a car manufacturer is good, doesnt meant the car will last for ages. 70k on the oddo, will be good for another 70+ or even more, privded the car was well taken care of. It all depends on the abuse it has taken.

So inspect that properly
thedreamcatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2010, 16:16   #26
BHPian

@Dreamcatcher The workshop guy said 'The car's drivability is good as it's fresh out of the showroom', means obviously there's nothing wrong with my driving. I am very considerate and strict, sometimes a 'pain in the you-know-what' when it comes to nice and clean driving. I never let our driver even touch the car I drive. I hate the way he drives! Even when he's with me I prefer myself on the steering and the pedal.

The car has serviced at regular intervals, only once the clutch needed an overhaul. That was when the car 60k. Although the mystery of how the AC compressor and the condenser were rendered totally useless. A manufacturing fault I guess. Compressors in majority only need a repair, and I've never ever in my entire life heard of a condenser being defective.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:24   #27
BHPian

NC,
Nope, i meant the doors panels which show deep scratches and gashes. If you do only a tinkering job on them, will they not change the crash protection.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
NC,
Nope, i meant the doors panels which show deep scratches and gashes. If you do only a tinkering job on them, will they not change the crash protection.
The story about delhi roads is little different with bumper to bumper traffic its virtually impossible for any car to stay sctrachless for more than a month. In this case NC's sister who was not an expert driver had her hads on the car. So nothing unusual to have such scars wherein even usual drivers get those.

This car since serviced well has other things intact only the body had some damage, and the pics that we all are looking at is post the car has been stripped for painting(Nc Correct me if i am wrong). So actually the car is not as bad as it looks reason being the denting painting can complete in 10-12 days, if the dents were more than it will easily take a month as dismantling and fitting alone takes 4-5 days

Pramod
Old 8th March 2010, 16:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
NC,
Well I discussed this issue. I asked whether the door should be replaced or not. The guy inspected the door dimensions and thickness at vital areas, and they were pretty spot on. So basically redoing the deep scratches will have a negligible effect.

It took them 3 days to just 'inspect' the car. Many say I should consider myself lucky when it comes to the doors, I've only been dented on the 'sweet spots'. Its only the bumpers that I was unlucky. The bumpers + the bumper grills need to be totally replaced.
Old 5th July 2011, 00:33   #30

Re: Revamping / Repairing my 2006 Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Getting your paint is not a bad option, i will tell you my example. I was getting my lancer painted, i finally paid 30 for the complete paint service and oil change. While i was enquiring i got a real funny quote from one guy, he asked 3k as labour and rest the stuff would be mine. I took the list to a paint shop and the amount of paint was reasonable but all other stuff was highly inflated, he asked 5 lts of thinner. The paint shop guy said its good for 3 cars. And the total meterial cost was 22k, add another 3 k to it, its 25k. If anything goes wrong he can now blame the meterial.
Pramod
Hi Pramod, BHPian's,

Some rather helpfull tips here. I was wondering if you know where I could pick up OEM / OEM-like door trims for my Honda City ZX. I got these done from a shop in Karol bagh and the guy did such a shoddy job that every time I step into the car, I curse myself.

I checked with Honda and got a quote of Rs. 2700 per door trim.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks