Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 15:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Sunflim trouble on the BMW !!

Team, need your help yet again, and need it soon. Have to fix this asap.

I had got the Beemer's sunfilm work done last week, and decided to put 3M all around. I've used this film before and got it done through the same installer (for my i20) and was very happy with the results. Unfortunately, this time the installation seems to be faulty.

The problem is that there are several small bubbles which have formed on the top edges of every door, these seem to be air bubbles. Doesn't make for a very good sight, and in my i20 the install was much better. But what's more worrying is that on the door glasses as well as on the rear windshield, visible small bubbles have formed in the centre due to visible dust particles which have been trapped inside during install. This makes the appearance even worse.

Now I want the entire filming changed, to be honest. This is the first Beemer in the house and I wanted perfection, heck, I want perfection in every car that I have. The installer came by today and had a look, and acknowledged the dust particles. However, he claims that if the entire film is removed and a new one is installed, then new bubbles might form and the gumming of the previous film may create problems for the new film.

As of now I've askd him to change the door glass films all around, and based on that work I will take a decision on the rear windshield. But I really need to know from you guys if I'm doing the right thing.

If proper cleaning of the glass is done after removal of the old film and before installing of the new film, won't it solve the problem of dust particles trapped inside? How will the gumming pose a problem then?

Frankly I don't doubt the installer since I've seen his work and had a good rapport with him, but I also need the opinion of my knowledgeable, reliable and ever-dependable Team in order to go ahead with this. This needs to be fixed asap before my dad gets irritated !! As it is he's not happy with the appearance of the car.

Old 19th March 2010, 15:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

He is taking you for a ride, Usually when you remove the filim gum sticks to the glass, The usual practice is to spray soap solution and to use a blade to scrape the gum. You go it on all the glasses and theapply the new filim. Looks like he is doing this to save the cost of rework. If you are paying him something i would suggest get it done elsewhere. If its a free replacement check if he is using the same filim or some low quality stuff.

Pramod

Last edited by Dippy : 19th March 2010 at 16:03. Reason: Hi. Avoid quoting a long post when replying to a thread. Thanks.
Old 19th March 2010, 15:37   #3
BHPian

A friend of mine had removed all the sun film from his car and there is no Gum traces left. I don't see why we can clean it away with a good cleaning agent even if there is. Besides, if it is genuine 3M, I would expect that it should not leave gum behind.
Old 19th March 2010, 15:43   #4
BHPian

Flyingspur, after removing the present film, if proper cleaning is done, then the new film won't have any problems whatsoever (if installed properly - second time). After the cleaning there should be absolutely no marks of gumming left of glasses.
Make sure you install the film during daytime.
BTW, nice ride!

Abhi
Old 19th March 2010, 15:47   #5
BHPian

It happened to me on my ANHC, there were lot of such bubbles on the first installation and I was not at all happy. As it was visible on all the side windows.

Since it was a mistake from their side, I got all the films replaced as the issue was only with the side glasses (rear was done crisp).

Earlier film gum sticks is, they clean the entire and rather scrape (not exactly, what I mean is cleaning it properly) it and it shouldn't create any issues.

As long as they clean it properly there should not be any issues, he might be playing this trick to avoid the free installation in case he has to do

Is he replacing for free of cost or charging you? In my case it was free of cost.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 19th March 2010 at 15:53.
Old 19th March 2010, 15:52   #6
BHPian

I got the film on my swift also replaced bcos of airbubbles on the rear left window at the ends. It was done at the service center at free of cost as it was their mistake.

Believe you should be able to get it done with clarity on the film.

Cheers
Old 19th March 2010, 15:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

I got my i20's Rear Film removed as I wanted to go for a better one. The new one is perfect without any bubbles.

High end films from Garware, 3M and Llumar have better Gums hence, removing them and the leftover gum is an issue. Removing these films require patience and with De-fogger in the Rear windshield, extra-caution and patience is needed. Your installer might be confusing you to escape the loss and hardwork.
Old 19th March 2010, 17:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

My flim is CR series from 3M, supposed to be very good quality eh? Anyway, yes the replacement is going to be done free of cost. I think I will have the film removed and the glass cleaned once by them and then for 2 days, will get it cleaned as regular. After that will get the refitting done. And no, the quality of the replacement film will be the same. I'm not compromising on this. I think all I have to do is emphasize on the cleaning bit after the current film is removed.

Thanks for your responses. I'm wondering though, I hope that there is no damage to the defoggers if this gum cleaning thing has to be done with a blade. Won't happen, no?
Old 19th March 2010, 20:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

There shouldn't be any problem if done properly. I would suggest another installer; I dont like someone who doesnt have confidence on his own work.
Old 19th March 2010, 20:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am now being asked to pay for the replacement. Very disappointing, after having done two cars from the same installer and also having recommended to other Team-BHP'ians. I feel cheated, and I feel guilty of having recommended to other folks. It seems that customer relationship is only measured in the equation of profit, loss and margin.
Old 19th March 2010, 20:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I am now being asked to pay for the replacement. Very disappointing, after having done two cars from the same installer and also having recommended to other Team-BHP'ians. I feel cheated, and I feel guilty of having recommended to other folks. It seems that customer relationship is only measured in the equation of profit, loss and margin.
i think they provide 1 year warranty. i got replacement for the same problem.
Old 19th March 2010, 21:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
CR 70 comes with 5 year warranty. I had the same bubble issue when Installed this in my Safari's front windscreen. This was installed by one car accessory shop. When I complained him of the problem, he asked me to call 3M directly. One personnel from 3m came and inspected the installation. He agreed this was a shoddy job and sent another installer to my home and replaced the film.

He actually took the old warranty card and gave me a new set of warranty card.
Old 20th March 2010, 02:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Damn that bad

3M warranty covers replacement in case of bad installation right ? And as bkishore_77 said calling up 3M guys might be helpful as You have warranty for the film, but ideally replacemnt should be done by the shop(free of cost) instead of 3M.
Old 20th March 2010, 03:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was obvious he was just stalling, since he has to pay out of his own pocket for the replacement. And as far as I remember these things are expensive. Get a second opinion and get it done somewhere else. And share the details here so the guy feels the pinch of his wrong doings. Sorry to hear about your trouble.
Old 20th March 2010, 07:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

First, I need to get a warranty card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
And share the details here so the guy feels the pinch of his wrong doings. Sorry to hear about your trouble.
I have not started this thread to defame the guy. He's done a good job in the past, not only with my car but also some others who I've referred him to. It's just disappointing and has left a sour taste that he is handling my case with such insensitivity, that's all. I have nothing against him in personal capacity.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 20th March 2010 at 07:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks