Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 21:39   #1
BHPian

Retrofitting a larger fuel tank in an i10

Having driven a M800 5 speed for 7 years, I averaged a FE of 18-20 kmpl, allowing me to go 550-600 km between fuelling up.
Having graduated to an i10 Magna Kappa about a year ago, I find that I'm averaging about 15-16 kmpl, which is just fine, and pretty much what i expected. But the low fuel indicator kicks in when I'm hitting about420-450 Km (I generally tank up at450 odd km, and the tank takes 29-30 litres before auto cut-off)
The bothersome part here is that I am psychologically attuned to tanking up after 500 Km on the tripmeter. To be fair there is only a single petrol pump 100% on my way (all others being slight detours through heavy traffic areas), and I consider this particular pump to be a cheat. Also, a range of sub 500 km does'nt lend well to longer outstation drives, and does feel a bit restrictive.
So considering that I am reasonably satisfied with the FE (Of course a better FE is always good- but I'd like to keep that discussion seperate for now), is there anyway to increase the range (between refuels).

I was wondering if it is technically possible to either replace the existing fuel tank with a larger one(say about 50 litres?) or fit in a secondary auxilary tank into the system.

Planning to check the underside of the car for space constraints, and discuss the possibility with my local mechanic over the weekend; share any suggestions or ideas.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:23   #2
BHPian

Strange requirement for a hatchback indeed.

I've seen this done in jeeps and vans, but space was never a constraint there and they did not have any electronics to worry about.

You will have to figure out a solution for connecting the two fuel tanks if they are in a slightly different location and/or think about using an auxiliary pump to draw fuel from the second tank after the first one empties. Ofcourse, bridging the fuel indicator between both tanks will be a herculean effort in itself.

Instead of doing all this, try changing your habit and refuel every 400 kms. That's a whole lot easier and safer too.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

+1

Headache+Unreliability+Time spent <<<<<< Changing your behavior.

There's really nothing to say.

PS: Does i10 have a fiberglass tank like the swift?
Old 24th March 2010, 22:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

I dont think its worth the effort. Also where in the blazes are you planning to travel. Trust me, everywhere you go, there will be a pump within reach. For your insecurity, carry a Jerry can with say 10 litres of fuel (though not advised) when going on a long trip. Mix this with the fuel you put in the car, in equal quantities, i.e. if you dont trust the quality of the fuel there. Basically forget it.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
+1

Headache+Unreliability+Time spent <<<<<< Changing your behavior.

There's really nothing to say.

PS: Does i10 have a fiberglass tank like the swift?

Hmmmm.... guess i could keep a 20 litre jerrycan or something in the boot as reserve fuel.

I agree having two seperate tanks would be difficult and probably not worth the bother.
I think fitting a larger replacement tank is more feasible... how does the fuel gauge work, is it simply a level sensor in the tank or is it more complex? (I reckon its a level sensor, as the reading changes if ur on an incline)

Anyway, just something thats been bothering me for a while, so I'll go through the rigours
Will check the possibilities and keep you folks updated before plunging into anything silly

I think the tank is fibreglass, will confirm after I've studied the underside of the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I dont think its worth the effort. Also where in the blazes are you planning to travel. Trust me, everywhere you go, there will be a pump within reach. For your insecurity, carry a Jerry can with say 10 litres of fuel (though not advised) when going on a long trip. Mix this with the fuel you put in the car, in equal quantities, i.e. if you dont trust the quality of the fuel there. Basically forget it.

I drive approximately 120 km per day (I know I should get a diesel hatch instead) but till then, this means a trip to the petrol pump every 3 days

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th March 2010 at 22:58. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 24th March 2010, 22:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think you should not do this, try to get used to the tank capacity and the Kms it can run on a full tank. It's not worth it.

i10's full tank is 30 liters only? It is less. Mine is 47 liters, and I am getting 13Kmpl, so I can safely look for the figure of 500 before I visit fuel station.

Last edited by clevermax : 24th March 2010 at 22:58.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:15   #7

Its not possible to fit the anything underneath the i10 as it is already very cramped there. The rear wheel housing and the tank have the same level at the bottom and below that is the rear transaxle. Forget adding anything below the car to increase the capacity of the fuel. The level indicator is an electronic gauge which is an integral part of the fuel pump, hence the display mod will be more complex than just a thought.

Try using a set of iridium plugs from NGK with the right heat spec and install a K&N filter in your stock air box, this would comfortably reduce the stress on the engine to deliver more thrust. Should ideally add 10% to your FE and an added bonus of reducing the effort on the car to perform.

worth trying, for all you know it would take care of this issue to some extent.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:23   #8
Team-BHP Support

DO NOT keep petrol in a jerry can while travelling. It could be fatal, and it will smell.

What it your travel route ? In an emergency, go to the cheater pump and fill worth a 100 bucks till you reach the next reliable bunk.
Old 25th March 2010, 00:08   #9
BHPian

A larger fuel tank (extra weight of fuel) will surely alter the whole dynamics of the car - stick to the company fitted tank. Now-a-days gas stations are available in the remotest place why to worry?
Old 25th March 2010, 08:11   #10
BHPian

What it your travel route ? In an emergency, go to the cheater pump and fill worth a 100 bucks till you reach the next reliable bunk.[/quote]

Thats what I end up doing- more often than I like :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
A larger fuel tank (extra weight of fuel) will surely alter the whole dynamics of the car - stick to the company fitted tank. Now-a-days gas stations are available in the remotest place why to worry?
Really? would an extra 15 Kg (20 litres x .75 specific density) make a noticeable difference to the dynamics?

On the whole, I guess the forum is fairly unanimous that this is a pretty complicated modification... probably not worth doing....
Old 25th March 2010, 12:40   #11
BHPian

450km range is not good enough on out-station trips? Where exactly are you planning to go? I find that very hard to believe that you cannot reach a decent fuel pump within 400kms of starting your journey.

Anwyays having read that you drive 120kms per day, I guess even with a 500/600 km range you still have to visit a pump every 4/5 days.
Old 25th March 2010, 13:28   #12
CPH
BHPian

Modifying a tank is raising to issues I personally wouldn't feel good about.

First you have to take measures that potential problems do not occur as this could lead to sparking while filling the tank and might end up in fire.

Secondly the tank is designed to be as safe as it could get in an accident. If the tank burst in an accident you will not get out of the car before the fire gets you.
Old 25th March 2010, 13:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Installing an additional tank is not feasible. Have you seen the i10's underbody? There is not much space there to install another tank or enlarge the stock tank.
Old 25th March 2010, 14:41   #14
BHPian

Rather than trying to install a second fuel tank or trying to increase the existing fuel tank capacity, IMO you should go for a CNG or LPG installation. This would be far more reliable & safer.
Will serve you dual purpose
1. Increasing the range as you can travel on both CNG/LPG & Petrol
2. Decrease the cost of your traveling as you travel 120 KM a day.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:58   #15
BHPian

Dear Adisag,

I see that you are based out of Gurgaon, After having been lived in Gurgaon for about 26 years, I doubt you live in an area from where a Petrol bunk is so far, Yes, it was a similar story but only 10 years ago when we only had a pump near the Court, almost on the outside verge of the city, No offenses, but now I for surely know that the story has changed a lot, in last 5 years, almost 10 new Petrol Pumps have opened in Gurgaon.

Even I would suggest you to change your habits to getting the tankful at 400 KMs or atleast just adhere to the low fuel warning. Good that you have that option, think what if you did not even had the low fuel warning, you would have probably run out of fuel quite a few times by now.

Last edited by shantanumishra : 30th March 2010 at 22:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks