Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2022, 23:58   #466
BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Either ceramic is done first or ceramic is done on top of PPF.

My question - if I go with only PPF, will there be any gloss and dirt repellent and hydrophobic benefits? If so, then why do people go for ceramic coating?
Ceramic coating is never done first, that would be completely pointless and in addition will repel the PPF adhesive and cause issues with bonding.

The reason a pro coating is applied over PPF is to gain self cleaning/slickness and hydrophobic properties which actually last for a few years over the film, as pre coated films don’t have anywhere the durability of a pro coating. A quality coating also bumps up the hardness so micro marring caused by improper washing is slightly reduced (you still have to take very good care though.)

Gloss will improve but optical distortion (orange peel) introduced by the PPF will remain unchanged, if you want sharp reflections in the paintwork stay away from PPF.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 08:21   #467
BHPian

Most good brands of PPF nowadays are top coated, which provides a degree of hydrophobicity. Orange peel is also much reduced with a good quality PPF, which actually enhances the paintwork making reflection sharper and deeper. A ceramic coating if one so chooses, may be applied over PPF for enhancement of protection and gloss.

PPF also requires maintenance from time to time which is decontamination of tar, hard water etc removal which builds up over usage. Post this a topper of ceramic coating can be applied via ceramic wax, coating, shampoo etc which helps to retain gloss and hydrophobicity.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 11:51   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Orange peel is also much reduced with a good quality PPF, which actually enhances the paintwork making reflection sharper and deeper.
I’ve yet to see a film which left the reflections as sharp as non PPF sections of the paint, let alone reducing optical distortion (orange peel). Good quality films will have less distortion but that’s about it, the depth/gloss on perfectly corrected paint remains the same (if you see an improvement after PPF, the paint wasn’t polished properly and the film is hiding the fine swirls/haze).

The only way one can reduce orange peel is through wetsanding/heavy compounding to level the ridges and peaks in the clearcoat.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 16:40   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBeckx View Post
I was looking for good detailers around North Bangalore .. and seeing someone mention Ultimate Detailerz .. near Jakkur.
An update to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRevving View Post

I suggest you find someone who comes recommended or has good reputation and not make guesses based on quoted prices.
Thank you, as suggested by you and Secretariat below, I decided to call/ visit them to understand their process and get some idea about them along with the usual googling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post

You may want to get a quote from Raju (9988624530), visit both shops and take a call.
I called Raju, and he was a nice person to talk to, and was helpful in explaining their process, but ultimately I went with Ultimate Detailerz , Jakkur as I found the owner very proactive. Got PPF installed and the car back today, and the work done is top notch. Very happy with them

Will update if any developments happen in the future.
SamBeckx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 21:35   #470
BHPian

Friends, I need some honest advice for PPF over my about to be delivered Nexon EV max(jet). A good reputed dealer in Kolkata is quoting around 1.25 Lakh + GST for a full body PPF (except Roof) for Llumar. Usually my car is washed once a week and cleaned generally with wet towel almost everyday. Now why I am thinking of PPF is for protecting the car from nicks and scratches due to driving in very congested roads (infested with rickshaws and similar) of last 5kms of my work travel daily. But the water in my area is generally hard. Will washing cause a dullness over ppf? Is there something I can do to protect and keep the original shine? Or is it a waste of money mainly considering the hard water washing?
I did realise after shifting to this home 4 years back, my existing car paint work got dull over months, mainly due to hard water.
Old 22nd November 2022, 01:05   #471
BHPian

Once the PPF is done. What is the best way to maintain it?
Should the rinse less wash be the best method . Any ideas please do share.
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:24   #472
BHPian

PPF also requires a basic maintenance to maintain the shine and protection,

- Decontamination treatment (wash and wax) is recommended every 6 months/1 year

- Use a ceramic shampoo to retain hydrophobic properties with good soft quality microfibre cloth either at home or while washing outside

- Usage of a ceramic wax can also be done
Old 2nd December 2022, 16:12   #473
BHPian

I will be taking delivery of my BMW X5 Mineral White next week. I am planning on getting PPF done on it. The detailer I have chosen is quite good with his work and I have visited his workshop as well. He showed me a car he had done, the installation was seamless, and quite difficult to determine that PPF has been done on the car.

He is quoting 1.7 L for STEK Shieldeffect with 5 years warranty and 2.18 for STEK Dynoshield with 10 years warranty. I am contemplating which one to go for.

I am inclined toward the 10 years warranty PPF since the car is white (hence it will be warranted against the yellowing of the film) and I intend to keep the car for about 10 years. Also, Dynoshield is one of the best PPF's available out there.

Would it be worth the 50k difference between the 5-year and 10-year warranty film?

PS: He is also offering Avery Dennison Supreme Xtreme 10-year warranty PPF for 1.95L which is sort of in the middle of the two but I couldn't find many reviews of that film online.
Jay_P2324 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 20:08   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_P2324 View Post
I will be taking delivery of my BMW X5 Mineral White next week. I am planning on getting PPF done on it. The detailer I have chosen is quite good with his work and I have visited his workshop as well. He showed me a car he had done, the installation was seamless, and quite difficult to determine that PPF has been done on the car.

He is quoting 1.7 L for STEK Shieldeffect with 5 years warranty and 2.18 for STEK Dynoshield with 10 years warranty. I am contemplating which one to go for.
Pricing for BMW X5 full body including roof will be for 200 square feet including roof. You should get a tuck in installation which involves removing mirrors and beadings so edges are neatly tucked in.

STEK Shield effect : Rs. 650 per square feet would be Rs. 130,000/-
STEK Dynoshield : Rs. 850 per square feet would be Rs. 170,000/-

The above rates are MRP for STEK PPF, depending upon detailer you can negotiate accordingly, you should get a ceramic coating for external plastics, wheels and front and back glass complimentary. That is industry standard now. Some detailers will also offer you a repeat treatment complimentary consisting of wash and wax with interior cleaning.

PLease ensure that the warranty card is given to you which mentions the roll number as well. Please go to an approved vendor.

Any doubt, please ask !
Old 2nd December 2022, 21:43   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Pricing for BMW X5 full body including roof will be for 200 square feet including roof. You should get a tuck in installation which involves removing mirrors and beadings so edges are neatly tucked in.
I am told the X5 would need 250 square feet of film. A couple other detailers gave me the same square footage.

Yes, I have made sure that the film will be neatly tucked in. I have visited the workshop and seen his work.

Quote:
STEK Shield effect : Rs. 650 per square feet would be Rs. 130,000/-
STEK Dynoshield : Rs. 850 per square feet would be Rs. 170,000/-

The above rates are MRP for STEK PPF, depending upon detailer you can negotiate accordingly, you should get a ceramic coating for external plastics, wheels and front and back glass complimentary. That is industry standard now. Some detailers will also offer you a repeat treatment complimentary consisting of wash and wax with interior cleaning.

PLease ensure that the warranty card is given to you which mentions the roll number as well. Please go to an approved vendor.
I am quoted 675 per sq. ft. for STEK Shield Effect and 875 per sq. ft. for Dynoshield.

All of the complimentary things mentioned above are offered.

The vendor is approved and I could also find him on the STEK India website.

Quote:
Any doubt, please ask !
What is the primary difference between Shield effect and Dynoshield? Would it be worth spending 50k more on the Dynoshield compared to the Shield Effect?
Old 3rd December 2022, 06:49   #476
BHPian

X5 will only. take 200 square feet, with roof excluding panoramic glass area. it it's more then the cutting process is inefficient. 10% more area ie: 220 is also OK

You still have room for negotiation on above prices!
It depends upon whether you would retain your car for longer, then go for the 10 years option.

Approx 90% customers choose the 5 year option currently!
Old 4th December 2022, 07:20   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Will washing cause a dullness over ppf? Is there something I can do to protect and keep the original shine? Or is it a waste of money mainly considering the hard water washing?
I was in your shoes a month back and let me tell you my honest opinion.

1) ppf (xpel ultimate plus) is the best and better than llumer however it would cost you close to 1.75 lakhs or higher.
2) while driving when the ppf tears off you need to change it (damaged panel) otherwise it would look bad and that is gonna cost you(~850-900/sq.ft) which I feel is high maintenance.
3) get it polished every year from a good detailer to maintain shine which is more cost effective.
4) ppf is better than ceramic coating if you want to avoid swirl marks.

If you have extra money lying around you can go for these treatments or else its a complete waste the moment you hand the cleaning cloth to a daily cleaner boy.

Note: I ended up spending 50k on ceramic coating and boy car does look awesome for that very moment when its delivered. But from there on you realize there is nothing you can do to maintain the same shine whatever you put on it.
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 10:14   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
I was in your shoes a month back and let me tell you my honest opinion.

1) ppf (xpel ultimate plus) is the best and better than llumer however it would cost you close to 1.75 lakhs or higher.
2) while driving when the ppf tears off you need to change it (damaged panel) otherwise it would look bad and that is gonna cost you(~850-900/sq.ft) which I feel is high maintenance.
3) get it polished every year from a good detailer to maintain shine which is more cost effective.
4) ppf is better than ceramic coating if you want to avoid swirl marks.

If you have extra money lying around you can go for these treatments or else its a complete waste the moment you hand the cleaning cloth to a daily cleaner boy.

Note: I ended up spending 50k on ceramic coating and boy car does look awesome for that very moment when its delivered. But from there on you realize there is nothing you can do to maintain the same shine whatever you put on it.
Hi, thanks for your honest opinion. Actually more than the gloss and preventing swirl marks, I am more concerned about the scratch and rub protection.
You being from Kolkata too, must acknowledge the narrow lanes of some parts of Kolkata and suburbs. I happen to travel to a few parts of Howrah daily, which is where I get this irritation of rickshaws, bikes & totos scratching up the car as if it were their back. They just do it for their solace, purely
I saw a shield in PPF. Although its very expensive for just protecting the car from scratches. That is why I am in a dilemma now.
How good is a llumar or similar 180 micron TPU film in context of protecting from scratches?
Old 4th December 2022, 10:43   #479
Senior - BHPian

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but when I got my first scratch/dent (I have a 2021 Black Jeep Compass 4X4 AT) a month back - I was not sure (honestly confused) which one hurt more - my first accident of my Jeep Compass or my million dollar PPF getting destroyed and peeled off.

Frankly, what we are doing is using a super expensive material to protect another super expensive material. And all the cars I have sold in the past, the owners never questioned if I had original paint or not. All this now makes me question my decision to get PPF.

HAVING SAID THAT, the PPF does retain the shine and if you dont crash the film does make the car look good (at least in my case because the black on Compass' fades easily). Quite antithetical, isn't it?

Last edited by Pancham : 4th December 2022 at 10:56.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 19:45   #480
Senior - BHPian

I’m sorry if i’m asking this question again cause I have been so unsure of getting PPF on my 2 month old Jeep Compass. I’m holding back because of three reasons, one, the huge cost, second is the possibility of yellowing ( my car is white ). And the last is issue of the applicators removing OEM door handles and bumpers etc to apply PPF. Its not that i don’t trust these guys, but I simply don’t trust Jeep due to it’s infamous rattling issues.

From a cost point of view, i have been quoted anywhere between 1 to 1.4 lakhs. Kriti car care Bangalore is quoting 1.25 lakhs for their own brand of PPF. I was also quoted 1 lakh for partial PPF and ceramic coating by Feynlabs. But from whatever I have read in this thread, partial PPF is not advisable for white colour.

Its very confusing actually, some of these detailers make money in ceramic coating, so they push that. Others seem to push PPF.

I’m not looking for gloss or shine. Just basic protection. But the cost of PPF seems like an overkill, especially in my case where I have had to already stretch myself a bit to get the Compass Diesel AT.

I did have partial PPF from 3M in my earlier car, a creta. And i had done the same 3m partial PPF for my wife’s elite i20. I didn’t think too much then since the cost way back in 2018 for partial PPF at 3M was less than 25-30k. But the current quote of 1-1.4 lakh makes me really wonder if its an overkill.

Would appreciate views and suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by motorworks : 10th December 2022 at 19:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks