Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2019, 22:40   #76
BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Anyone have experience with Llumar Glossy PPF? Considering it strongly.
Old 11th June 2019, 15:32   #77
BHPian

I had PPF on the ORVM's, door handle pockets on my EcoSport. Over the last one and half years, there were some scuffs to the PPF on the mirrors.

Today I visited 3M Borivali West to get the PPF removed and re-applied. While at the store, I also got PPF for all door edges and headlamps done.

My headlamps have seen a couple of deep scratches thanks to the kids in the society. No more scratches on them now!!

The 3M guy was not very keen to apply PPF on headlamps citing that they turn yellow over time due to heat from the headlamps. I still took the plunge, let's see how long it lasts before it needs a change.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 08:40   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Anyone have experience with Llumar Glossy PPF? Considering it strongly.
What is the rate per square feet of Llumar that you were offered ? Also is it self healing?

A local accessories shop offered me a generic brand PPF which is made of TPU material and is self healing for ₹225 a square ft! That seems too good to be true considering Xpel quoted ₹850 per sq ft. He claims two years warranty on yellowing or anything goes wrong.
While I’m very sceptical, I’m also tempted to try it just for the bumpers.

Anyone tried something like this?
Old 28th December 2019, 16:52   #79
BHPian

Can exterior detailing be done on a car protected with PPF or we do not need any detailing at all? I am planning to have PPF on my new Hexa. I am little confused whether to go for full body PPF or partially on only most exposed areas.
Old 28th December 2019, 17:57   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
Can exterior detailing be done on a car protected with PPF or we do not need any detailing at all? I am planning to have PPF on my new Hexa. I am little confused whether to go for full body PPF or partially on only most exposed areas.
I have had PPF from 3M fitted on two of my cars over the full body. It has served me well. And yes the normal detailing can be done over the PPF application. The trick is in high quality fitting at the first instance with no bubbles or wrapping. I was quite satisfied with 3M. On the few occasions the car has suffered scratches on the proverbial corners the PPF took the brunt and kept the paint protected. PPF should only be done on a new car with original paint. Don't do it on a repainted car.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 20:50   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Had a short chat with someone who imports HEXIS films.

Apparently their clear paint protection film (Bodyfence) it more resistant to the yellowing that the clear films face (which many have complained about here). Can't seem to find any reviews or hard data mentioning how much of a difference there is though.
Came across this when I was searching for something regarding the PPF internet.

The information is correct. The film has high optical clarity and I have seen no hint of yellowing yet. The self healing is a bit slow compared to other films, but heals the minor to moderate swirls fully.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2020 at 09:37. Reason: PM coming up
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 09:55   #82
Senior - BHPian

I haven resorted to 3M PPFs on both my Cars, Creta and the Elite i20, although only on contact prone areas like the 4 bumper corners, door edges, ORVMs. Its definitely useful considering the small contacts the car tends to have with two wheelers etc. I did this for both the cars right out of the showroom and happy with the protection it offers.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 16:30   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I haven resorted to 3M PPFs on both my Cars, Creta and the Elite i20, although only on contact prone areas like the 4 bumper corners, door edges, ORVMs.
What is current rate per square feet of 3M PPFs? Have you opted their normal PPF or Venture shield PPF with self healing property? I am planning to have PPF treatment on my Hexa and want rough idea about estimate before visiting 3M center.
Old 8th January 2020, 17:28   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

I got Xpel Ultimate done full car for my new Jag F-pace. Price was approx 700 per sq ft.

Llumar Platinum is approx same price, have a new GLS also that we got last month hence looking to try the llumar on that one but only on partial area.

This will give me a good understanding over long term which one to go for.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 19:19   #85
BHPian

Can PPF be waxed or polished to remove swirl marks or light scratches ?
Old 8th January 2020, 21:21   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
What is current rate per square feet of 3M PPFs? Have you opted their normal PPF or Venture shield PPF with self healing property? I am planning to have PPF treatment on my Hexa and want rough idea about estimate before visiting 3M center.

I have opted for the regular PPF for both my cars, not very sure of the exact price, but something around 14-16k I think, for all 4 corners, ORVMs, door edges, handles etc.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 21:13   #87
BHPian

So after getting my car the priority was to keep it looking like that for period of time.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-3m-kolkata.jpg

Got a quotation for Ignis.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-quotation.jpg

After spending sometime post receiving blessings of the almighty.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-pre-wash.jpg

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-foam-wash.jpg

Basking in all that Clean glory!

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-post-wash.jpg

Yes.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-ppf1.jpg
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-ppf21.jpg

A lot of Prayers were prayed throughout this particular process.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-ppf-3.jpg

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-ppf4.jpg

It's incredible what difference a Heat gun makes in the hands of a professional. The finishing, the Perfection towards the job all happens in this process.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-ppf5.jpg

The same process was repeated for the rear bumpers. However since both the corners were joined through a film in the middle those specific areas looked a bit unsatisfactory to me.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-ppf7.jpg

The end result under bright lights.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-finished1.jpg

The end result under Flash.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-finished-2.jpg

Observations:
I reached at 1145 am and being a Holiday prior appointment did not help things. Wash process started at 1 and PPF started post lunch around 3 pm. Further cleaning was done with the help of a baby shampoo diluted with water, post which IPA was sprayed adequately followed by final application of the film. I left the facility at 830 pm.

I was thinking of a DIY. The Concentration and Patience it required to place the film properly in the first place along with cutting through the lines to make it look seamless and not cutting into the clear coat made me realise instantly that I was not under possession of these superpowers.

Yes, PPF is expensive. A clean closed environment, a Professional who knows what he's doing is truly priceless and in my experience alongwith a foam wash, the interiors were vacuumed too.

Would also try to avoid Joining of films next time.

All the images were clicked on my phone.
arindam.dino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 08:19   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I have opted for the regular PPF for both my cars, not very sure of the exact price, but something around 14-16k I think, for all 4 corners, ORVMs, door edges, handles etc.
Was checking in for my new one.
3M is quoting around 500-600/sft for normal and 900/sft for Venture shield. Flexible to do a discount if overall sft is on the higher side.

Any idea what folks like Autotriz would cost? There is enough jazz in their marketing but not sure of reliability.
Old 2nd February 2020, 21:32   #89

Hi Sahil, Where did you get this done? Please share the details. I am planning to get it done for my new Camry which is being delivered next week. Thanks.
Old 3rd February 2020, 20:54   #90
BHPian

I want to change the color of my red elite i20. Can anyone help me with the cost & procedure? Where should I start in Bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks