Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 22:21   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

I got the self healing paint protection film(Hexis BodyFence PPF) on the bonnet and bumper @ Krithi Car Care (https://krithicarcare.com/). They did a very good job.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img20190712wa0040.jpg

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img20190712wa0039.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 06:27   #92
Senior - BHPian

Even I got Hexis PPF all round from Esperto (been a year). Thinking of getting one on bonnet as well. What was the price you paid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I got the self healing paint protection film(Hexis BodyFence PPF) on the bonnet and bumper @ Krithi Car Care (https://krithicarcare.com/). They did a very good job.
Old 9th February 2020, 21:40   #93
BHPian

Hello Experts,
New car round the corner - a Black MG Hector.
So paint protection becomes an obvious consideration.

As of now thinking of PPF for bumpers, fenders, all doors and ORVM caps. Undecided on the bonnet.
Cost is also a factor.

Had initial conversation with 3M and Autotriz in Bangalore with initial quotes -

3M quoted 595/sft for normal PPF and 995/sft for Ventureshield
Autotriz quoted 550/sft for normal and 765/sft for Xpel selfhealing.
While 3M is tested, Autotriz is new.

Are the rates reasonable ?
Any previous experiences would help ?
Any other PPF detailer in Bangalore that you'd suggest ?

Both are pushing for ceramic coating for non-PPF areas, but somehow I'm not yet convinced.
Old 16th February 2020, 20:32   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I got Xpel Ultimate done full car for my new Jag F-pace. Price was approx 700 per sq ft.

Llumar Platinum is approx same price, have a new GLS also that we got last month hence looking to try the llumar on that one but only on partial area.

This will give me a good understanding over long term which one to go for.
Hi Sahil,

Can you please share the place you got the Xpel PPF done. Apparently, the Xpel Ultimate Plus goes over 1k per sqft as per the authorised retailers in North India.

Also, I was informed that the Ultimate range has been discontinued in 2018 and replaced with Ultimate Plus.

Regards
Old 17th February 2020, 09:05   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Hi Sahil,

Can you please share the place you got the Xpel PPF done. Apparently, the Xpel Ultimate Plus goes over 1k per sqft as per the authorised retailers in North India.

Also, I was informed that the Ultimate range has been discontinued in 2018 and replaced with Ultimate Plus.

Regards
Call the xpel main agent in Bangalore. They can suggest a place near you.

I would suggest you also consider llumar platinum. They are as good and much better service with standard pricing across india.
Old 17th February 2020, 10:48   #96
BHPian

Not to hijack the thread but this the closest one I could find for PPF. Could someone guide me where I could get self healing PPF coated on my new Apache Rtr 200 in Chennai? Not specific about 3m but any good "not so hyped" place should be fine too as long as it does the job.
Old 19th February 2020, 15:50   #97
BHPian

Anyone here have any experience with unbranded paint protection films? A local accessory shop is offering me full car PPF for my Seltos for 33k which is a huge cost difference as compared to branded ones from 3M or Llumar. Since the Seltos is my daily runner I do not want to spend a great amount of money on it and need just basic protection from battle scars that crop up on cars in Bombay traffic and also because the car is black in colour. Any drawbacks if i go in for something unbranded? He is willing to offer me a demo as well as show me his own car with the same film. Anything that I need to particularly look out for to assess the quality?

Thanks.
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 16:32   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Any drawbacks if i go in for something unbranded? He is willing to offer me a demo as well as show me his own car with the same film. Anything that I need to particularly look out for to assess the quality?
If he is using genuine 3M PPF then there shouldn't be any issue. But mostly these guys use fake 3M PPF or cheaper transparent sticker which is no where close to original 3M PPF. You can see the difference in terms of the material quality, try to pull the PPF using both hands and see the flexibility (stretch-ability), original 3M PPF are stretchable to a great extent and goes back to original state when you release it, that is it doesn't deform after stretching. Also they will turn yellowish after few weeks/months of usage which is not the case with original 3M PPF. I have PPF applied from 3M outlet on my EcoSport's Halogen Projector lamps and even after close to 6 months of usage I see no yellowish tint or any other issue with it. Do check the PPF applied on his car for yellowish-ness or signs of damage/heavy swirl marks from usage as the original 3M PPF doesn't get damaged easily neither does it attract swirl marks easily (depends on proper maintenance also).

Although it maybe difficult to gauge the quality difference, you may go ahead since even if it is half decent as the original PPF then it's alright for daily usage as it will protect against minor scratches and swirl marks. Because the original PPF costs a bomb at 595/sq feet. For a car like EcoSport, it would cost anywhere around 70-90K to cover the whole car (except the roof as it is ribbed and PPF won't stick there).

What I'd suggest is to get the PPF applied to crucial areas like Fenders and Front Bumper alone on trial basis for few months. Later on you can decide to get the rest of the car wrapped if you are satisfied with the quality of the existing PPF.

Last edited by Funny : 19th February 2020 at 16:33.
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 20:20   #99
BHPian

Quick question: what happens during servicing a ppf applied two wheeler? Especially when they wash with jet of water. Any precautions to take before giving motorcyle for servicing?
emkay.india is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 22:06   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
Quick question: what happens during servicing a ppf applied two wheeler? Especially when they wash with jet of water. Any precautions to take before giving motorcyle for servicing?
I have not had any issues with my bike over the last 4.5 years of washing. The PPF generally sticks very well and if the edges are well stuck, it shouldn't be a problem.

Rachit
Old 28th February 2020, 22:45   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post

I've had PPF on the tank and part of the front fairing , and it's well over 5 years now. The PPF is peeling off at the edges in some places, but is still holding tight. It's pretty durable, if applied properly.
Ricci is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 11:02   #102
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Rohit T for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Speaks my language

Quote:
Insurance to protect my car against everything - from accidental damage to outright theft - costs me about 30-40k for the Seltos. Including the depreciation and all. 5 year insurance cost will be somewhere under 1.5 lakh.

And it costs me about 1-1.25 lakh for PPF to protect just the damn paint from minor scratches!! No one seems to think and a lot of companies are making a fortune.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 11:09   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Rohit T for sending this information in
Few errors, I doubt Seltos insurance costs 30-K & the PPF 1,25 Lac and even if does, what about an expensive car like Premium cars where insurance will be more?

Recently a friend got an X5 and he paid over 1,5 Lac insurance and around the same amount to Xpel on my recommendations. Not only does the PPF saves you from little nicks/ scratches/ swirl marks but it helps to retain the new look on the car. And even if paint processes have been vastly improved at the dealerships/ outside, I will prefer to retain the factory paint as long as possible.

So, in my opinion, PPF is completely worth the price

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th March 2020 at 11:13.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:25   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

So, in my opinion, PPF is completely worth the price
Although i do think think it's pricey and hope prices come down with time.

It doesn't make sense to me to compare insurance with PPF. Don't you pay much more for extended warranty on german cars than insurance?
It is not just a protection but investment to keep your car looking new for nearly a decade.

If one must calculate, here is the math- if you are particular about swirl marks and own a dark coloured car you will probably end up detailing it twice a year. Any good detailer charges 10-15k or more hence you are spending approx 25k. Say you keep your car for 10 years which is also how much warranty Xpel and Llumar give you then you would have spent 2.5L

Moreover, swirl marks appear within weeks so if you are really anal you will land up detailing a lot more often hence in 5 to 10 years time your car paint would be badly cut with all the compounding and claying.

For the first time I did a full car PPF on my black Jag F pace. Its been 3 months since I got the car and not a single swirl mark. Usually by this time, i am tearing my hair out with the swirls.

PPF gives vanity+protection

Last edited by Sahil : 5th March 2020 at 12:27.
Sahil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 12:56   #105
BHPian

Also to add to the above conversation, besides the ugly swirl marks on a dark coloured car, sometimes a scratch is too small to warrant a full panel paint but it is just a big time eyesore. You would not want to keep opening panels or bumpers to get every small scratch fixed heck I would prefer no panel ever being touched because no matter what you do and where you go the factory finish can never be matched.

Getting this kind of a scratch is very easy from the two wheelers and the three wheelers in the kind of traffic in most cities. Also if your car is ever parked near a school then God save the paint job on your car.

I am myself a convert, I used to always believe that instead of spending 1L on PPF I can get the whole car repainted for less than half the cost but now i regret my decision because my car which I try and keep in mint condition and get it detailed atleast 3 times in a year has small scratches all over that are not big enough to require a paint job. There are battle scars on both bumpers, stone chip marks on the front hood and bird poop stains on the rear trunk if i think about getting rid off all of them i will have to repaint my entire car which is only 4 years and 30k kms old.
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks