Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2024, 18:44   #691
BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

I want to install PPF on my brand new Black BMW 330GLI.

Can anyone suggest a good PPF for my car please?
Old 21st March 2024, 21:12   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Being one of the earlier adopters of PPF (sometime 2018), I am not necessarily pleased with my long term experience.

Off late noticed these weird spots on the car, initially thought them to be tar spots, but they seem to be under the film. Everything was tried in a test area (tar remover,petrol,polish) and had no effect.

All the non-PPFed panels of the car look perfect as usual. (You can make out from one of the pics where the PPF is poorly cut)

This is not any contamination from the paint too, as my car’s tail lamps which are PPFed have the same issue. Looks like it might be mold under the PPF. After this ran some searches and looks like I am not alone.

https://www.ctsvowners.com/threads/s...h-this.159542/

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/xpe...-under.110522/

For everyone’s info, this is Stek Dynoshield PPF installed from a popular installer in Bangalore.

Attachment 2581232

Attachment 2581233
It really does look like mold growing underneath the film. Try an iron remover too just in case
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 10:09   #693
BHPian

Needed some suggestions for getting PPF in Mumbai for my new X1 that is due delivery in April 1st week.
The options I have are below
Dealer quote:
Llumar 12y valor - 2.02
Llumar 10y - 1.93

Patwa’s Car Care
Garware 8y - 1.25L
Xpel 7y - 1.40L
Llumar 10y - 1.6L

Dealer suggested TP:
Garware 8y - 1.35L
Xpel 10y (ultimate plus) - 2.06
All above prices include GST

I read a lot of mixed reviews on Garware. Can someone help me choose between Garware, Xpel and Llumar pls - super confused
Old 30th March 2024, 13:57   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
1) From experience I would say 3-4 years tops assuming you’re going with a top-tier brand like Expel/Opti/Carpro. Even within this time, removal always carries a small risk of paint delaminating in certain areas as the adhesives used are very strong and do not want to come off easily.
Hello BHpians,

This is going to be my first post and I wanted to seek some advice as to what brand of PPF I should go for, what quality, and even which detailer you would recommend if you have prior experience with any of them. (In Delhi)

I will be taking delivery of my new Volkswagen Taigun GT Plus DSG (Wild Cherry Red) tomorrow and have been doing some research regarding PPF. My father had previously gotten our MG Hector Plus(Dual tone: Glaze Red with Starry Black roof) wrapped with PPF from a detailer whose workmanship and film seem sub-par in hindsight and I don't want us to repeat the same mistake.

I have gotten various quotes ranging from Rs 66,000 to Rs. 1,47,00 (Including tax) from seemingly professional detailers like Detailing Mafia, Detailing Gang, Detailing Street, and Detailing Bull. (I have yet to haggle)

Detailing Mafia is providing a full body wrap:-
Ultrashieldx (3 years): 66,000.
Ultrashieldx (5 years): 82,000.
Ultrashieldx (7 years): 1,00,000.
Garware Plus (5 years): Rs. 80,000.
Garware Premium (8 years): 1,00,000.

Detailing Gang:-
Garware Plus (5 years):73,160.
Garware Premium (8 years): 96,760.

Detailing Street:-
Pro Shield(5 years): 70,800.
Pro Shield (8 years): 94,400.
Pro Shield (10 years): 1,35,700
Garware Plus (5 years): 70,800
Garware Premium (8 years): 94,400.

Detailing Bull:-
Bull Armour Prime (5 years): 88,500.
Bull Armour Performance (10 years): 1,47,000.

From all the posts I've read in the last couple of days it seems that no matter how high-end the PPF is, it is advisable to get it removed at around the 4 year mark. Consequently, it doesn't seem to make sense to go for PPFs with 7 or 10 years of warranty. Besides, I am not considering super higher-end PPF brands like LLumar, and XPEL as it doesn't make sense for me to splurge on the PPF if I am to remove it within 3-4 years. Moreover, since it seems that all PPFs yellow over time(between 2-3 years) then I can't think of a reason for getting the expensive PPFs. (Luckily, since the color of the Taigun is going to be Wild Cherry Red the yellowing of the films will be less noticeable)
Old 30th March 2024, 17:06   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSharma View Post
1) Detailing Dons Kharghar, Navi Mumbai
Garware premium (180 plus microns) PPF 5 year warranty : INR 90000
Spoke to Junaid here and he explained the whole process in detail and answered all my queries patiently and top me that the whole process will take 2-3 days.

2) Optimum Detailerz Chembur, Mumbai :
Garware premium (180 plus microns) PPF 5 year warranty : INR 129000.
I know I am probably too late at this point but, I hope you were not swindled with Garware Plus in the name of Garware Premium because as per my knowledge, Garware Premium is supposed to be 200 microns with 8 years of warranty. (Garware Plus is the one with 180 micron thickness and 5 years of warranty, however, I doubt someone would quote 1,29,000 fro Garware plus)

I myself am considering what PPF to get for my car. The quotes I have gotten for Garware Premium have been in the range of 94,000 to 1,00,000.

I'm sure you must have already gotten the PPF done at this point so I would like to ask what PPF brand you ended up choosing and how has you experience been so far.
BrakHorseBarhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 12:51   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakHorseBarhat View Post
Hello BHpians,

Detailing Gang:-
Garware Plus (5 years):73,160.
Garware Premium (8 years): 96,760.

From all the posts I've read in the last couple of days it seems that no matter how high-end the PPF is, it is advisable to get it removed at around the 4 year mark. Consequently, it doesn't seem to make sense to go for PPFs with 7 or 10 years of warranty. Besides, I am not considering super higher-end PPF brands like LLumar, and XPEL as it doesn't make sense for me to splurge on the PPF if I am to remove it within 3-4 years. Moreover, since it seems that all PPFs yellow over time(between 2-3 years) then I can't think of a reason for getting the expensive PPFs. (Luckily, since the color of the Taigun is going to be Wild Cherry Red the yellowing of the films will be less noticeable)
Update!!

Finally took delivery of my Volkswagen Taigun GT Plus DSG yesterday and decided to get Garware Premium from Detailing Gang. Dropped my car off yesterday itself and expect delivery on the 3rd of April. (I did not want to repeat the mistake of giving the car for PPF after one month like my Hector Plus, since it had already sustained some minute scratches by then)

I have opted for a total of three services on my Taigun which are:- (Prices include tax)
1) Garware Premium (8 years) full body wrap @ ₹87,200.
2) Garware ICS(Ice Cool Shield) sun protection film @ ₹ 13,000
3) Glass Coating: Meguiars (All glasses) @ 4000

All in all, was able to bring down the price of the PPF services from 96k to 87k which isn't too bad and there wasn't much wiggle room when it came to the prices of the add-on services. (I assume the margins aren't a lot on add ons)

I like the fact that Garware Premium comes with 8 years of warranty, however, one thing that stood out to me regarding the warranty terms and conditions is that it specifies the conditions for activation of warranty.

As an Advocate myself, I am quite certain that the company would be able to avoid a warranty claim based on the care instructions that must be maintained in order to activate the warranty. At first glance the care conditions do not seem too onerous, however, they seem sufficiently vague to deny compliance with them.

The product itself seems good but I would advise you to not bank on the possibility of claiming the warranty if there are mishaps with the product. At least that is my opinion on the matter, since I do not know the company's corporate values and how they handle warranty claims.

I will provide a further update on my experience with Detailing Gang once I receive the car and will try to give further updates regarding my experience with the PPF down the line.
BrakHorseBarhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 16:23   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.purswani View Post
Needed some suggestions for getting PPF in Mumbai for my new X1 that is due delivery in April 1st week.
From what I've heard, a lot of people with high-end sports cars or luxury sedans often go for Llumar and swear by it.

I don't have much of an idea regarding Xpel but people on the forum seem to have a good impression of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhann5 View Post
Paint protection for my new Jeep Compass Limited + Petrol[/h3]
Reduced the list to 2 options finally and it was 3M vs Xpel. (Popular choice vs best in the business)
This video might be useful to compare the two:-

As for Garware, there are mixed reviews regarding Garware on the forum but from what I know, it is dominating the PPF market in India and is doing fairly well in other countries as most of it is exported(around 80%). Consequently, I would like to think that it is a decent product at the very least considering the volume of its sales. One more factor that made me choose Garware over other PPFs is the fact that it is an Indian brand which means that its development has been done while keeping the Indian climate in mind whereas both Xpel and Llumar are U.S based brands which means that while they might be great for the climate of U.S but they are likely not equipped to take on the conditions in India.

Another important factor that I considered is that my Taigun has a dark color (Wild Cherry Red) which means that any sort of yellowing will be less noticeable on it. As a result, I was more comfortable going for Garware even if it's not considered a high-end brand like Xpel or Llumar.

But the fact remains that Garware is relatively new to PPF and has not been in the industry long enough for many long-term users to share their experiences so it is difficult to ascertain its quality in comparison to its competitors who are already established and reputed in foreign countries.

I am hoping that this is at least a bit helpful in making up your mind.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st April 2024 at 16:36. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Old 4th April 2024, 22:03   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Being one of the earlier adopters of PPF (sometime 2018), I am not necessarily pleased with my long term experience.

...snip...

Off late noticed these weird spots on the car, initially thought them to be tar spots, but they seem to be under the film. Everything was tried in a test area (tar remover,petrol,polish) and had no effect.
STEK Dynoshield is supposed to have warranty for 10 years if I recall correctly. Did you talk to your installer?

In any case, I personally would remove the PPF after 3 or 4 years. The car is old enough then and perhaps bird droppings and bug guts are not going to cause the same heartburn as when the car was new. It has been discussed in this thread that PPF is not easy to remove either. It will only get worse as time goes on.
Old 4th April 2024, 23:50   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
STEK Dynoshield is supposed to have warranty for 10 years if I recall correctly. Did you talk to your installer?

In any case, I personally would remove the PPF after 3 or 4 years. The car is old enough then and perhaps bird droppings and bug guts are not going to cause the same heartburn as when the car was new. It has been discussed in this thread that PPF is not easy to remove either. It will only get worse as time goes on.
The installer has shut shop. I don't have the time and energy to chase the erstwhile proprietor and have tough discussions with him, so leaving it as is. Will get the film removed after a while.

However am showing my car to other well established installers to get an opinion, as this experience has put me in a dilemma for ppf vs ceramic/graphene for my other car.
Old 12th April 2024, 10:53   #700
BHPian

I am planning to get PPF done for my new Kia Seltos Imperial Blue which will be delivered today.

In Bangalore, I enquired with DetailingBull, Detailing Mafia, Ceramic Pro and Detailing Street.

Detailing Mafia quoted 85k+tax for Ultrashield PPF. They didn't specify microns. 5yrs warranty.
Detailing Bull quoted 1.25L+tax for their in-house PPF, 186 micron, 5yrs pasting warranty.
Ceramic Pro quoted 1.4L and 1.68L for 220 and 260 micros, 7yrs and 10yrs warranty respectively.
Detailing Street quoted 1.15L+tax for 200micron and 10yrs warranty, where there is a free maintenance every 6 months for the span of 10yrs, and 58k+tax for lesser microns and 5yrs warranty and free maintenance every 6 months.

I am more inclined towards Detailing Street since it has got very good reviews on Google and Instagram as well, plus they give free maintenance every 6 months and the owner seemed very friendly.

Has anybody got PPF done by them here? How is it holding up so far? Did you find any issues?
Old 12th April 2024, 21:59   #701
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I have finally chosen the Kia Seltos X-Line, the colour is matte grey.

A dealer told me that one cannot have a Ceramic coating on Matte paints. Is it true?

Also, they (Kia Crystal Auto Baner) are offering me LX Hausys PPF (five-year warranty) for Rs. 90,000. I am not sure if this is a good brand, have never heard of it. Does anyone have experience with LX Hausys PPF?

If not from Kia Crystal Auto Baner, I am thinking of getting it done by Bromotiv or Carzspa. It would be great if someone can share any experiences from either of these or anyone else in Pune.
Old 12th April 2024, 23:57   #702
BHPian

Congratulations on the new purchase, it's almost always a better choice to get car detailing services from a car detailer rather than from the dealership. Also go for reputed ppf brands like - Xpel, llumar, Garware etc.
NA-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 04:17   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikeva027 View Post

A dealer told me that one cannot have a Ceramic coating on Matte paints. Is it true?

Also, they (Kia Crystal Auto Baner) are offering me LX Hausys PPF (five-year warranty) for Rs. 90,000. I am not sure if this is a good brand, have never heard of it. Does anyone have experience with LX Hausys PPF?

If not from Kia Crystal Auto Baner, I am thinking of getting it done by Bromotiv or Carzspa. It would be great if someone can share any experiences from either of these or anyone else in Pune.
That dealer is wrong, most ceramic coatings are perfectly safe on matte finishes and will not change the appearance in any way. There are matte specific coatings as well, aimed at matte paints. Confirm with the specific brand and variant of coating you’re planning to go with.

Also that is an unknown brand as far as PPF goes (that’s why you’re getting it so cheap), won’t speak to who’s better as I’m not from Pune, but either way don’t go with the Kia dealer.

Be careful with ceramic coatings and matte paint, make sure the installer is the best you can find in the city as any high spots in the coating cannot simply be buffed out like on gloss finishes. As abrasives cannot be used without damaging the matte appearance.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 17:20   #704
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I have spoken to a few detailers (in Pune) today and have got these quotes for self-healing TPU PPFs.
  • Hypershield: 65-70K (5 years warranty)
  • Clearguard: 65K 5 years warranty)
  • Knight Skin: 75K-90K (7 years warranty)
  • Ultrashield X: 80K (5 years warranty), 125K (10 years warranty)
  • LG Vguard: 85K (5 years warranty)
  • Garware: 95K-110K (5 years warranty)
  • Saint Gobain: 120K (5 years) with an option of PPF Insurance
  • Llumar Classic: 125K (5 years warranty)
  • Llumar Platinum: 145K-190L (10 years warranty and is hydrophobic too)

I was thinking to go for with Garware but there are a few dealers who told me that there have been some issues with Garware PPF lately, also confirmed in this thread (here (Paint Protection Film (PPF))) too.

Should I be too worried about Garware as yellowing isn't much of a problem with Matte grey color?
OR just choose peace of mind and go with Llumar Platinum?

What do you guys suggest?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks