Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2015, 01:48   #31

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Hi Vipul,

I'm planning to get PPF done for the bumper corners of my Grand i10 from 3M Gurgaon. Is 3M Scratch Guard the same as PPF? If not, what's the difference.

Also, if possible, please share the costs incurred?
sunitkaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 20:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunitkaul View Post
Hi Vipul,

I'm planning to get PPF done for the bumper corners of my Grand i10 from 3M Gurgaon. Is 3M Scratch Guard the same as PPF? If not, what's the difference.

Also, if possible, please share the costs incurred?
Yes, Scratch Guard is the brand name for 3M's PPF. The cost of this film is in the region of INR 550 per square foot (including installation)
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 21:11   #33
BHPian

I have been using the same - 3M's PPF on my bikes tank for about an year and here are my observations.

- It's highly prone to scratches even if by touching the palm or rubbing with a soft cloth (non microfiber). Unless you wax it frequently to maintain its sheen or conceal the surface scratches on the film - though it doesn't really look that bad unless closely looked.

- Non PPF parts appear more shiny, don't have visible scratches. While the PPFed surface appears slightly dull and lack shine - but only under very close observation under bright lighting conditions.

- Under direct sunlight say 12 pm to 3 pm all of the scratches tend to disappear. This is probably because the original surface shines a lot and is literally protected from these scratches that happened on the film. They tend to have the spider web effect.

-Best used for dark surfaces - white really not needed.

-No peeling or shedding observed

Overall happy as I can peel it off the day it looks bad and awe on the protected surface.
But I was told the film does not require any waxing or detailing procedures which is completely false.

Last edited by ciddharth : 5th September 2015 at 21:15.
ciddharth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 22:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post
- It's highly prone to scratches even if by touching the palm or rubbing with a soft cloth (non microfiber). Unless you wax it frequently to maintain its sheen or conceal the surface scratches on the film - though it doesn't really look that bad unless closely looked.

- Under direct sunlight say 12 pm to 3 pm all of the scratches tend to disappear. This is probably because the original surface shines a lot and is literally protected from these scratches that happened on the film. They tend to have the spider web effect.
Many PPFs have a self healing property where you can heat it and it will reform and cover up the scratches. Try using a hair dryer with max heat on the PPF for a couple of minutes and the minor swirls will disappear. After doing this, you'd want to re-wax the whole tank since the heat would affect the non PPF areas.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 5th September 2015 at 22:31.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 18:54   #35
BHPian

Hi,

Has anyone tried to install this as DIY.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/3M-Clear-Bra-...kAAOSwyZ5Umr-0

Regards.
Old 5th January 2016, 14:46   #36
Team-BHP Support

Had a short chat with someone who imports HEXIS films.

Apparently their clear paint protection film (Bodyfence) it more resistant to the yellowing that the clear films face (which many have complained about here). Can't seem to find any reviews or hard data mentioning how much of a difference there is though.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf FPS_BODYFENCEB_FTP_anglais_055E.pdf (72.8 KB, 499 views)
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 00:20   #37
BHPian

Hi,

I have managed to install 3M PPF (clear bra) under door handles. Since this was my first attempt you will notice several irregularities in the finish.

PPF cut into rectangle

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-pic1.jpg

Edge removed to accommodate handle

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-pic2.jpg

I did not remove excess part since I was not sure how to cut this without scratching paint. I also used a left out piece on the handle.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-pic3.jpg

Steps

1. Clean application surface.
2. Use water diluted with soap solution to lubricate fingers, PPF film and application surface.
3. Place film over surface and start removing water using squezee and/or cloth.
4. Applying this under door handle was tricky since its is curved surface with limited access. I applied pressure using thumb, cloth to remove water.

Since this DIY was partly successful I will try to install ppf on rear bumper.

Regards.

Last edited by antardaksh : 13th January 2016 at 00:25.
antardaksh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 01:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

I had taken my car (straight from the showroom) to 3M Care in Mangalore for applying ppf under the door handles. This is the one area that gets scratched a lot. Cost rs.800

Step 1: 3M PPF Application process

Step 2: Cutting

Step 3: Finishing
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 18:49   #39
BHPian

VW dealer is offering a 'Paint Protection Kit' for Rs 4,800. Don't have further details at this point of time. Assuming the 'Kit' covers specific areas most prone to scratches. Has anyone opted for a PPF 'Kit'?
Old 20th September 2017, 21:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
No alternative to PPF. Just get them detailed twice a year to keep it Shiney and cure the jaundice
Sahil, do you mean that detailing over the PPF applied portion, will keep the yellowing in check, and restore the shine ? Do you use it on your white cars ?
Need to take a call on what I do on my white Superb ... Thanks.
Old 21st September 2017, 07:21   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Sahil, do you mean that detailing over the PPF applied portion, will keep the yellowing in check, and restore the shine ? Do you use it on your white cars ?
Need to take a call on what I do on my white Superb ... Thanks.
You can’t use it on white.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 11:38   #42
BHPian

Hi Folks!

I feel that paint sealant coatings is something that is not really required, if you have your set of car wax, wash n wax, microfiber cloth and mitts in place.

However, that is proving to be a challenge with my new black car. So after much research, I have decided to go ahead with the PPF for:

- both bumpers
- both orvms
- bonnet
- door lining
- foot board
- boot lid

This is likely to cost me 12-15K. I went to a non-3M detailing workshop that uses 3M products, and they seem good and reasonable. I noticed that it was always lined up with 4-7 cars, which is good. One of their customers I spoke to was a repeat customer, and he spoke well of their PPF installation, and its overall looks.

I feel that a Paint Sealant gives a high gloss to the car, whereas a PPF is strong protector + glossy combo.

Will update once done.

Cheers!
AjayJohri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 14:57   #43
BHPian

For my v40 cross country: it took 101 sq feet to cover my whole bonnet, front bumper, rear bumper, front left fender, front right fender, rear left fender, rear right fender, area beneath all 4 door handle, both head lights and both ORVMS.

All this with a full wash and wax, interior vacuum and dash protection came to 58K net.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img_0812.jpg
reihem is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 16:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

I got these (LINK) online for my Figo door handles and they are pretty good. Installation is not super easy and takes a little time, but can be done yourself.

It's about half the price 3M charges.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 5th January 2018 at 16:51.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 10:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Reviving my old thread, I did finally go in for the 3m PPF 5 years later! Most of my cars are white and as mentioned earlier, the 3m ppf is not recommended on white hence I could not try out the PPF. The 3m film that gpa mentioned which is meant for white cars yet hasn't made it to the market.

Now that I got a black car,I was keen to try out the PPF as black is a pain to maintain and prone to scratches. Boy was I pleased I got PPF installed as only a few weeks after my driver accidently brushed the front right bumper against a wall My heart sank as I was sitting behind in the car, quickly jumped out and saw the damage which made me furious however I immediately had a sigh of relief as I remembered my bumpers had the PPF. Next day, the PPF got replaced and the results are below:
Attachment 1395260
Clearly, it does work! It took almost 95% of the hit and after replacing only a minor few scratches/scruff around the edge of the air dam are barely visible if you look really closely. I am very finicky about this stuff and even I can totally live with that minor imperfection.

If you fitting is done well, as it is in my car now, there is no way one can tell there is a PPF installed. I have got the front bumper, rear bumper, side mirrors and all door edges protected by the PPF. Would definitely recommend it but be sure that the installer is experienced and gives you a perfect fitment finish.
Hi Sahil,
Since you have had the PPF for over 3 years now. Can you tell us how the experience has been considering the time you have had it. Would you still recommend going ahead with PPF ?
Any maintenance needed with this ?

Thanks in advance
tommani is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed