Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2005, 01:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Free Flow exhausts For Maruti Esteem Petrol MPFI

Hi All,

I have a Maruti Esteem MPFI Petrol and i want to make it sound sportier. Meaning it should have a nice deep growling sound, but not VERY loud as i dont want to attract the cops.

I am from Bangalore. One of my friends suggested I install a muffler which can give a nice sound. This looks similar to the mufflers fitted on the bikes today to make it sound loud.

But some other friends recommended a free flow exhaust as the muffler is not calculated with the engine spec's and can damage the engine.

What I know is that the muffler fitment wont involve removal of the catalytic convertor but the fitment of the free flow will result in removing the catalytic convertor. Am i correct?

All i want is a nice sound without damaging the engine and fuel economy. Which one is suited to my needs? Muffler or Free flow exhaust? How much will this cost?

I also plan to fit a K&N Air filter on the car. Does this improve mileage?

Please respond at the earliest as i am have been postponing this since a year due to lack of proper guidance.

Thank you.
Old 5th October 2005, 01:23   #2
BHPian

free-flow is the way to go!!!

hey aaditya i think you should definately go for the free flow man !! i dont think you can damage your engine with a mufler havnt ever heard of that !! and no u dont necesarrily need to get rid of your cat. con. you can get a free flow and not get rid of it!! and a free flow gives you added power your fuel efficiency will not be affected if not increased !! it only decreases due to the change in your driving style as you tend to rev your car more just to hear that roar !! ;-) the person to get in touch with for free flows is automech they're the free-flow experts just tell them what you are looking for and they'll deliver the product as close as possible you can get their contact on www.automechexhausts.com!! happy revving!!
Old 5th October 2005, 04:54   #3
BANNED

yes free flow is one of the most amazing things you can do to your car
Old 5th October 2005, 09:07   #4
BHPian

Way to go, Start by putting in a K&n stock filter, drive around for a week. you will immediately see a difference, after that go in for the free flow. If you dont want a lot of noise. just change the headers and the expansion chamber, keep your oem muffler, that reduces the noise considerable. As for the power, i was floored after getting these changes done. with regards to FE, it purely is a function of your driving, If you rev a lot it will drop. on the other hand if your driving sensibily it will defintely increase. I currently get around 13 in the crazy bombay traffic from my zen.
Old 6th October 2005, 22:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys.... thanks for the replies...

Hey there... I did call Automech and they charge 8k for a complete free flow here in chennai. I guess it is around 5k in Blore at FRK Racing. I also did notice few people in this forum complaining that the free flow from automech was leaking after a year or so.

Do these free flow's come with a warranty? any discount for team bhp members? I will call them again tomorrow and meet with them on Saturday.

Also i understand the cat convertor is used for environmental reasons and removal doesn't harm the engine. Am i correct?

I have anyways decided to get a K&N filter fixed. What sort of filter do i need? There are various types of K&N filters. Does the filter modify the sound in addition too as i read that there will be an intake growl.

My car has clocked only 15000 kms till date. I shall meet the guys from Automech on Sat and revert for help if any.

Thanks guys. Also i wanna say that I really am so happy with this concept. So many people coming together to share thier passion and knowledge is really mind blowing. I never thought I would get so much advice... Thanks a million all of you and TEAM BHP. Way to go....

Buckle up, Dont drink and drive, BURN RUBBER !!!
Old 7th October 2005, 01:10   #6
BHPian

warranty!!

hey aadtiya thats t-bhp for you man!! you will find loads of people giving you free flows for anything from 5 k onward but as far as my knowledge goes automech is the best in the business also !! oh ya since you mentioned that your car has only clocked 15000 kms you should be aware that your warranty will void if you get a free flow!! ( thats why im waiting to get mine for my zen which also has clocked nearing 16000 kms) thats the reason i also got the k&n replancement filter and not the universal filter with an air intake!! but it works wonders its improved the sound(not loud but its like music to the ears) the car feels much lighter speacially at higher rpms !! hence i would advice you to go for the replacement filter!!
Old 10th October 2005, 17:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Esteem MPFI Petrol 2002 model

Hi all,

I did get the replacement K&N Filter fixed and took a short drive. I did not notice any significant difference in the performance, pick up etc.... :-(

The dealer asked me to use an injector cleaning fluid as my injectors may be dirty. what do you all think?

By the way i did clock a quick 0 to 60 but this may have been also possible with the stock filter. I did not feel any great difference with the K&N.

Did i just blow Rs. 4.5k on nothing? my wallet hurts. Please give me your honest replies.

thanks a million guys.
Old 10th October 2005, 20:57   #8
BHPian

Hi guys,

The Ractive replacement Filter ( Both regular and rugged polyurethane )is in stock now anyone want to try???

Sorry for the off topic...

PJ

Last edited by PJSPEED : 10th October 2005 at 20:58.
Old 10th October 2005, 22:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

do i still need the injector cleaning fluid???

For once i think i can answer my own question...

The car IS DEFINITELY peppier and responsive....

I had to drive back to the dealer for a typo in the reciept and unlike the test drive after the filter i was driving normally.... no deliberate flooring of the accelerator.... no deliberate attempts to evaluate the pickup and performance....

....And to my surprise the car was very peppy and responsive. Very Very quick and zip zip zip.... i dont even have to floor the pedal now....

i freaked as i almost avoided hitting some biker.....

Hey K&N... Add me to your list of excited new customers.

I cant wait to get behind her wheel and take her for a spin ;-)

Thanx 2u all.
Old 10th October 2005, 22:25   #10
BHPian

Dude, if you're thinking about free-flow then check out this link by our friend Shibu who's got a FFE on his 5-speed 800, and it sounded good too.
http://team-bhp.com/forum/showthread...948#post112948
Old 13th December 2005, 22:16   #11
BHPian

I got the cat removed when i fitted my fre flow from automech, did my puc after that it was witihn limits. So the cat removal really dosent matter
Old 13th December 2005, 22:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Bro......
First when u install a free flo system in an estem u can bypass the cat... u definately dont have to remove it. Also since u r from bangalore pich up one of the mufflers from prodrive they look good and also sound nice. take a good airfilter and the K&N intake system.. u will have to modify the intake though.. i will be posting my esteems pics very soon.. wait for it.....
free flow + muffler? i dont get it.... can i get ONLY the muffler from Prodrive instead of the free flow (if i just want a better sound)? I already have a replacement type K&N filter.

But lotsa people on this forum have said that some mufflers can damage the engine... is it true? and where is Prodrive in Blore?

Please help.

If i can get a muffler that does not harm my engine then i rather go for it instead of a free flow....
Old 13th December 2005, 23:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Aditya dude, first and foremost "ONLY MUFFLER CHANGE WILL NOT HARM YOUR ENGINE"!!! unless its done by a carpenter, clear?
Secondly, dont take peoples questions as answers. You mentioned that several of us have said that muffler change will damage the engine, I wanna see those posts.

Thirdly, 9844040500( Abdulla) is Blore Prodrive guy, contact him and get your doubts cleared if you are confused here.
Old 13th December 2005, 23:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
Aditya dude, first and foremost "ONLY MUFFLER CHANGE WILL NOT HARM YOUR ENGINE"!!! unless its done by a carpenter, clear?
Secondly, dont take peoples questions as answers. You mentioned that several of us have said that muffler change will damage the engine, I wanna see those posts.

Thirdly, 9844040500( Abdulla) is Blore Prodrive guy, contact him and get your doubts cleared if you are confused here.
Hey man... thanks for the reply..... well u can see my posts and related comments from others.... (i welcome it)....... some do say that the engine can get damaged with a muffler....

BTW i cudnt help forcing a smile looking at the number of posts u have to your credit....

thanks a ton...
Old 13th December 2005, 23:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
BTW i cudnt help forcing a smile looking at the number of posts u have to your credit....

thanks a ton...
Then Im sure you havent seen the senior bhpian posts hitting 1500, 2000 and more!!!

Most Viewed