Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 21:14   #1

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.

Hello Friends,
I have been following up team-bhp since last 3-4 years. However its now that I thought to "Register", as I have a very responsible project with limited budget to execute. And I am sure with the help of fellow team-bhp'ians I would be able to complete this project successfully.

Now here my story goes...

I hail from Jamshedpur, did my graduation from Kolkata, and since 2003 I am in Delhi working.
About my petrohead my 1st drive was Pulsar 150, which I got from my own savings in 2003 and then changed to a Royal Enfield Bullent in 2004, then back again to a Pulsar 150 with alloy wheels in 2005. So that makes 3 bikes in 3 years. Talking about the cars, hmmm..1st car Tata Indica Xeta in 2007, just 2 months before my marriage, sold it in Sep 07, and got a 2nd hand Maruti 800 AC in Nov 07, somehow tolerated it till 2009, then comes Febuary, and I changed to Zen Estilo Sports, which is my current drive.

In Jamshedpur my Dad had a Santro Zip Drive. One of last few things which my Dad used to love was this car, I lost him
last year in November, due to a fatal heart attack @ the age of 51.
This car has been really very close to his heart. The car has been lying idle since last 2 years.

Now as the history of the car goes, we bought it in 2005 from a lawyer
in Jamshedpur in accumulate condition with a WB registration. The
stock colour was silver. Just one year since we bought this car, my
dad meet with a accident in some village near Jamshedpur, wherein the
car fell into a 20 Ft ridge. Ooooh man.....the complete body was gone.
The bonnet and the hood was completely squeezed, and the car required a
serious paint job.

We used a local paint shop for getting up the car in shape. This time,
my dad wanted to get it done as Black, with silver racing strips going from
bonnet, hood, and dicky. However the paint job was done as bad as it
could be, and since last 2 years the paint has been peeling/scabbing
off.

Now I want to completely re-do this car, paying him a homage. And for this I am getting this car to Delhi(Indirapuram), for a complete restoration.

My brother here with me has an Alto, which we plan to send to Jamshedpur for my mother to use, and my brother would use Dad's Santro for next 3-4 years. Even after that we dont want to sell his last car at all.

I have thought of a 3 stage process due to the budget constraint. Now
the stages are as follows:

Stage 1: Complete body custom paint joint. I want a dual tone colour
with some minimal vinyl graphics. (I would require suggestions on
the color tones). I would ask dismount the engine and fittings, (basically strip the car to bare shell) and give the whole thing an anti corrosive treatment before paint application. Smoked head and Tail Lamps. If possible, some LED work in Head Lights

Stage 2:Custom Interiors including Dashpanel detailing, seats, door trims, new moulded roof panel, steering cover and led lighting.

Stage 3: New set of tires(upgrade to 14 inchers), and some cool Neo or
Aura alloys.(Dont want to go with Korean make, as their single piece
replacement is not available).

Later,

Stage 4: ICE'ing: Pioneer Head Unit, JBL compos, co-axials, Amplifier
and Woofer.

Stage 5: Custom Body Kit

Stage 6: Ported and Coated Heads, Expanded Valves, Custom FFE, K&N CAI Air Filter

My budget for the 1st three stages is upto INR 70,000 MAX.

As if now I have got the quote for 30,000 painting, 20,000 interiors, and 35,000 set of alloys and tyres from Pro Auto Mod, Noida.
I am going to their workshop this weekend to check their work.

I need your suggestions for a good one stop shop in Delhi NCR. I am very particular to get my car painted in a paint both only, as the showroom touch and feel would not come in a open air repainting.

Guys, suggestions required
Old 10th April 2010, 06:20   #2

Some Sample Exterior re-work profiles

Guys,
I have explored Google Images and T-BHP and got some pictures of Santro's exterior re-work.
Comment welcome, on any specific picture which I can use for my car as a prototype.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-alloys-body-skirts.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-exterior.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-front-grill.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-mesh-grill-bumber-kit.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-spoiler.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-side-profile3.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-side-profile2.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-side-graphic-paint.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-side-graphic-paint1.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-side-profile.jpg  

Old 10th April 2010, 11:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Most of the pictures here need to be in the other thread. "Pics of weird and wacky mod jobs".
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2010, 21:02   #4

Guys,
I visited Pro Auto Mod @ Noida, today. I meet Samarth & Harsh who are the two owners there. Told them my requirement for a decent yet sporty exteriors and very sporty interiors.

They discussed all the available options with me. I am indeed very impressed with the kind of work they were doing.
Seen a Maruti 800 being converted to Beetle with butterfly wings, A contessa being converted to RR, and a Sumo being converted to a Hummer. I thought that I must be a very small customer for them with my restricted budget, but the kind of professionalism I saw, was definitely impressive.

So for my Santro, we decided that we'll go with twin colour combination for the body paint(colours yet to decided), Full custom made body kit( shape yet ot be decided) with custom front and rear bumpers, side skirts and spoilers.
For pepping up with front profile, we have decided to change the headlights(Design yet to be decided), which would require custom work on both the fenders and bonnet.
For the interiors, full custom made seat covers(colour combination yet to be decided) with detailing on doors, dash/door trims, roof, and gear console.

The estimate I have got is as follows:

Exterior:
Custom 2 tone body colour: 20,000
Custom Head Lights : 8,000
Alteration to fenders and bonnet : 20,000
Custom Body wide body Kits with custom work on bumpers: 40,000

Interiors:
Pure Leather : 32,000
OR
Art Leather: 15,000
OR
PU Leather : 7,000

Stitching: 1,500
Hood : 4500
Steering cover: 1500
Interior LED Lighting: 2,000

Footwear:
They dont' stock Tyres and Alloys, however can source it for us.
Tyres: Yokohoma A Drive : 3000/Pc
Alloys: Neo : 3000/Pc

As you guys must be seeing everywhere that most of my colour choices are yet to be decided.

Also I need your advice on the quotation..
So help me guys...

Also, I got a tachometer installed in my Zen Estilo. Got them for 2300/- and 200/- installation charges. Its the ProAuto's self branded product. Though its a Korean make, but still I love the illumination. Its compatible with 4,5,6 cylinders and has got 2 color mode(white and Blue), with no shift light.
Attaching the pics for everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-10042010546.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-10042010548.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-10042010550.jpg  

Old 11th April 2010, 12:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Most of the pictures here need to be in the other thread. "Pics of weird and wacky mod jobs".
Yeah,I know that......these are just some of the prototypes.....I am planning to pick the bits and pieces of every good mod job from each car...and get it to my Santro
Old 11th April 2010, 14:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

ashish, as you are paying homage to your father by building this car, please try to build it to his liking, would he like LED stuff, smoked headlamps? Just my humble opinion,

All the best for the restoration.

Spike
Old 11th April 2010, 14:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Check out this thread for all kinds of Santro mods.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...grades-16.html

This santro might give u some ideas.
Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-tin-tin-1-large.jpg
Old 11th April 2010, 14:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
ashish, as you are paying homage to your father by building this car, please try to build it to his liking, would he like LED stuff, smoked headlamps? Just my humble opinion,

All the best for the restoration.

Spike
+1 to that.

I would suggest to get the car done as per your fathers taste and liking instead of trying how you would want the car to be. You might just land up loosing the direction otherwise.

Better to keep it as much stock as possible.

Just my two cents.

All the best!
Old 11th April 2010, 20:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Check out this thread for all kinds of Santro mods.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...grades-16.html

This santro might give u some ideas.
Attachment 326834
Thanks KPZEN, infact only after reading about this rework I decided to re-do my Santro aswell.
I am really impressed with kind of colour tone here...starting from one colour and the colour merges on the rear door, and goes on till the rear.
I have this design aswell in my wish list for the exteriors.

I have dropped the idea of Head Light mods. I would go with the stock headlights with some very little LED detailing.
Apart from this, instead of wide body kits, I would go for simple front and rear lipsing, some minimal side skirts, and rear spoiler.

My Dad used to love custom work on cars, the reason behind that is we had a car upholstery retail business for 15 years before my Dad started some work with TISCO. Therefore loading the car with custom accessories is something which we have been seeing since our childhood.

Guys, I also need your help in some online tools to select the colour of the car. Some kind of shade cars or something similar.
As if now, we have decided to go with the one in the picture attached.
I wont go for racing stripes. For the graphics on the side rear, I would like to go with 2 stripes instead of 4 in the picture.

Pic Source: kit up
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-santrocustom1of2.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-santrocustom2of2.jpg  

Old 14th April 2010, 05:07   #10

Guys,
I am still waiting for some links to online car shade cards.
Please help.
Old 16th April 2010, 22:50   #11
BHPian

Posting pics of Karthik's santro (Speed freaks,Chennai) might be of some help to you

*Pics courtesy - his orkut album
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-spd-frks1.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-spd-frks.jpg  

Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.-spd-frks2.jpg  

Old 17th April 2010, 00:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from the Santro KPzen has posted, they all deserve to be in the weird and wacky mods thread.

I believe that you should get a simple color, such as all white. The Santro looks the best in simple colors due to its tall boy image. In order to enhance the look, you could get some white 14" rims (which btw shouldn't be more than 30K tops with some good tyres), some black sunfilm, a subtle spoiler, smoked head and tail lamps. That should be it for the exteriors.
For alloys, look at the ones you mentioned and even look at the Apollo range of alloys. I think the Apollo S928 alloys in either silver or white with the red lining would look good.
Apollo - India - Products - Alloy Wheels
For tyres, look at Michelin XM1+, Yokohama A Drives.

For the interiors get it all black, with silver/carbon fiber inserts, with black leather seats.

I really like the santro posted by kpzen, but I don't know how such a paintjob would look on the older versions.

As for the person doing the paint job, look around on the forum. There are some experts who specialize in modifications and paint jobs in Delhi, and IMO would be a much better bet than Pro Auto Mod, which maybe professional, seems like a group who would have their cars featured in the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...-mod-jobs.html

I believe I have heard some good stuff about Pandit Auto for paint jobs.

Remember one thing:
- If you do a good job right now, you wouldn't need to spend additional money doing her up for a long time. You might spend slightly more than your budget, but the quality will save you a lot more in the future.
Old 17th April 2010, 06:21   #13

@ lamborghini, thanks for your valueable inputs. Indeed I have made up my mind to keep the basic body looks as near to stock as possible. Maybe I'll go with some basic body kits as well.
About the colour I have thought of an Off White which comes in Chevy Uva and Aveo.
About the interiors, Carbon Fiber inserts was definitely in my mind, thanks for directing me to the right thought process.

Also folks please recommend me a good and reliable shop in and around Noida or South Delhi, where I can shop for good alloys and tyres.

Also how I can reach IMO?

And thanks to KPZEN for referring me to the place where he got his Santro repainted.
Attached Images

Old 13th August 2015, 21:18   #14
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Santro Zip Drive 2002 Model, Restoration Project.

whatever happened to this ambitious project?!?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks