Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2010, 11:39   #121
BHPian

@DKG wonderful DIY, also attention to specific details has been amazing. Would like to stop by sometime when you are in action on the RV. The perennial toilet which haunts every camper.

The Coleman toilets have proven to be a boon for mountaineers on expeditions, its a VFM for short use, there are folks in Mumbai and Bangalore who can supply both the toilet and Blue Sh** (Anjuna is referring to)
Old 20th November 2010, 19:20   #122
Senior - BHPian

Deepak Saab, any updates on the camper? Is it done?

I'm waiting to see the final product especially given given your penchant for perfection as seen in the Chevy restoration.

Cheers
Old 20th November 2010, 21:24   #123
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm waiting to see the final product
Will let you know when I finish it. Right now how I wish I had atleast one extra day a weekend for leisure. Hope you are well
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:43   #124
BHPian

Have you dropped the idea it has been ages since we hear anything about the DIY project?
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:46   #125
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Have you dropped the idea it has been ages since we hear anything about the DIY project?
No just that I need to find that time to sit on it and finish it. Its mainly the interiors and small details to fuss over now.
Old 26th November 2010, 12:25   #126
BHPian

wish you all the best, we are very eager to know the progress as every one love to own his own camper one day.
Old 26th November 2010, 12:55   #127
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
wish you all the best, we are very eager to know the progress as every one love to own his own camper one day.
You know I am really happy to see so many of you appreciate this. I was always the butt of many jokes amongst friends who kept criticising my project saying its an utter waste of time etc etc. I know the value of what I am doing as I have camped out extensively and know what a drag it is to keep setting up and dismantling the camp every time you move. So much time gets wasted and eats into your enjoyment of the moment. Once the camper is done I will return to an old passion of spending nights in wilderness enjoying the amazing beauty of the Indian countryside
Old 26th November 2010, 13:52   #128
BHPian

Hello DKG,
Take a bow for your effort on designing and building something ground up.
The project is just awesome.
Not to undermine your efforts and achievement, I wanted to bring to your notice something which is/was being done as a profession by a person named GR8GUY on our own TBHP. You may want to get in touch with him for some of your requirements.
You may have already looked it up, but nevertheless here's a link to the thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...er-anyone.html

Should give you a whole lot of ideas in building your own version.

Best Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 26th November 2010, 14:53   #129
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
Should give you a whole lot of ideas in building your own version.
That was a fantastic job.
Old 11th January 2011, 22:11   #130
BHPian

Re: Building a truck camper : Home away from home

Hey DKG - any new pictures here?

Also, have you considered the safety issues in India? I mean, can you really camp out on the roadside like that? I would consider getting a gun, if it were me .

I do like the controlled camping, but open camping here gives me the jeebies. In US, somehow you don't feel that threatened though, and usually you park in an RV park, with other vehicles around you (Unless you are the kill bill villain kind / in some special camping area. FWIW, you have to ensure your truck will get you there to those special camping areas in India.
Old 12th January 2011, 09:48   #131
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
Hey DKG - any new pictures here?

Also, have you considered the safety issues in India? I mean, can you really camp out on the roadside like that? I would consider getting a gun, if it were me .

I do like the controlled camping, but open camping here gives me the jeebies. In US, somehow you don't feel that threatened though, and usually you park in an RV park, with other vehicles around you (Unless you are the kill bill villain kind / in some special camping area. FWIW, you have to ensure your truck will get you there to those special camping areas in India.
The whole idea of building this camper arose because many a time I have been to places including villages where I would have liked to stay a day or two to explore but couldn't because of lack of decent accomodation.

Its not just the lure of staying out in the wilderness. There are many interesting places right around us where if you can stay overnight you can enjoy and explore the place a bit more.

I like going through official channels so whether its into or close to a forest or a remote village I would prefer to do it along with the local forest officials or cops. You will be surprised how helpful some of these officials are if you politely request their help.

On all occasions that I ventured into the forests I had staff and trackers from the forest department. Police too are very helpful and will guide you and won't hesitate to warn you off certain areas.

Having said that your point is very valid and its foolhardy to be too carefree about camping in India. There are risks. Honestly its not worth risking camping in an area where you need to worry too much about your safety.

I may also camp at farms of people I know. Across the state for example I have friends who have farms which will allow me to make it as a base and explore the area around.
Old 30th March 2011, 15:07   #132
Senior - BHPian

Sir! what is the update on this project.

i am looking at a similar project, not so extravagant but a small one with toilet etc. for my uncle.
Old 12th June 2011, 19:53   #133

[quote=DKG;1833217]

option 1: It takes less than a minute to lift the camper off and drive the truck clear of the camper. If I do plan on retaining the truck sides this would be the way to access the rear wheels.

option 2: leave the sides at home when using the camper.

Dear sir i have small idea why not add foldable wheels to pneumatic legs so in case of flat tyre you just pull away camper instead of moving vehicle and damaging tyres

i have zero knowledge in vehicles pardon my ignorance
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:27   #134
BHPian

Dear Deepak Sir,

Any update on the camper ...
Old 3rd September 2011, 08:03   #135
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Any update on the camper ...
Am planning on finishing the interiors soon. Will post pictures once its done. I wish I had more time over weekends !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks