Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 23:43   #1

Skoda Octavia VRS - Very bad jerks on sudden acceleration

Hi Guys,
I have a Skoda Octavia I - VRS (2005). The mods I have are Custom Code Phase 1 remap, K&N Typhoon, Forge DV 007, Remus exhaust.

For the last couple of months I have a nasty problem that the Skoda guys have not been able to resolve. In any gear, when I press the accelerator HARD, the car jerks several times and gives off a kind of sputtering sound. If I keep the accelerator pushed down then after a few seconds of jerks the car gets the normal acceleration. Alternatively if I ease off the accelerator the jerking stops and then when I slowly press the pedal the car seems fine.

It is only on sudden hard acceleration that the car jerks very badly so I do not have any problem in city traffic. But only when I am pushing the car hard or overtaking that I face this problem.

I have checked the site forums, but have not found any identical problems. What I am experiencing is different from the famous hesitation in remapped cars.

Can anyone suggest what could be the cause?

Thanks
Chintan
Old 20th April 2010, 03:54   #2
BANNED

hie would like check with the injecters,fuel fillter and the fuel pump.... and if i not mistaking are you the same having black skoda vrs which was there at kharghar for illegal drags

Last edited by anku : 20th April 2010 at 03:56.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:02   #3

Thanks Anku, Will give it a try.

I do own a black Skoda but unfortunately, I am not the one you refer to as I have not participated in any drags, legal or illegal. I do live in Navi Mumbai though.

Regards
Chintan
Old 20th April 2010, 10:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Throttle body needs to be cleaned and realigned. needs to be connected to a VAG Com for this
Old 1st May 2010, 23:38   #5

Hi, changed the breather hose and other pipes along with it.
They were broken and had cracks so very confident that this would be the cause.

Unfortunately the problem still persists.

What else should I check? The fault code described that it is getting insufficient air volume. I do not have the fault code number though.

Regards
Chintan
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:38   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Chintan, my gut feeling is:

- A dirty / choked air-filter. Clean your K&N.

- Dirty throttle body. Clean.
Old 2nd May 2010, 20:05   #7
BHPian

Does the car knocks as well while jerking ?
Old 11th June 2010, 23:49   #8

Hi,
FINALLY!!! The problem got solved. It turned out to be a combination of various things. The following is the sequence of actions taken over the last 45 days (mainly as Skoda did not have parts)

The problem was that the car was jerking like hell on acceleration. It would happen in any gear but typically between the 3000 and 5000 rpm. There were no consistent error codes found.

Based on the inputs from this forum I had the car checked for the damage to the breather hose and this was found to be cracked. Replaced it.
While replacing the breather hose, the vacuum pipes were found to have hardened and were very brittle. They broke while the breather hose was being replaced. So replaced the vacuum pipes.
Unfortunately the problem did not go away.

Replaced the spark plugs - it was time to change anyway. But problem not solved.

Had the Throttle Body cleaned and aligned. Problem still not solved..

Disconnected the MAF as suggested and found the car was jerking less. Tried using the MAF from another VRS, again it was jerking less but the problem did not get completely rectified.

Cleaned and reoiled the Air Filter

On a gut feeling asked the service center guys to check the fuel filter - Horror!!!! The fuel coming out of the Fuel Filter was BLACK!!!!
Changed the Fuel Filter and had the Petrol Tank cleaned. Black Sludge was found at the bottom.
It seems that at some point I got a very very very bad quality of petrol.
Put fresh fuel into the tank...unfortunately the problem still remained - no change.

Changed the MAF to a new one and suddenly the problem seemed to have reduced substantially.
Finally replaced the Fuel Filter from another VRS and ......SOLVED!!! Bought a few Fuel Filter immediately.

So it seems the problem was a combination of
1) Leaking Breather Hose - Though why this did not give a error code is beyond me
2) Cracks in Vaccum tubes - again why no error codes
3) Very Poor Quality petrol causing the fuel filter to choke up and collapse and the fuel pump to fail (again why no error codes - perhaps the fuel filter was working but was partially choked with sludge)
4) MAF was probably also dying a slow death and only compounded the problem.
5) The main problem I think is that there is no alternate to authorized Skoda service center in India, and since VRS accounts for less than 1% of Skoda sales in India, the authorized service center do not have highly trained and experienced guys for the VRS. It took the guys several months to finally identify and solve the problem.

But now my VRS is back and I am in love all over again!!!

Thanks a ton for all your suggestions. I hope nobody faces this problem.

Regards
Chintan
Old 5th January 2011, 17:41   #9
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia VRS - Very bad jerks on sudden acceleration

Hi crdhanak...I have been facing exactly same issues with a used Optra 1.6 that I just bought. Did not find any inputs on optra so started a new thread...however you have given real good inputs here...I have noted all the steps and going to try this soon

regards

Rajeev

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks