Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2006, 11:51   #16
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I know that a lot of you own Baleno, please respond fast and help me
Old 4th April 2006, 13:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Don't add spacers.
It'll compromise on a lot of other parameters including stability.
Old 4th April 2006, 13:51   #18
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Moderator Note : Topics Merged. Please do a search before posting a new thread.
Old 4th April 2006, 14:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
1. poll : if you have got spacer added to improve ground clearance.
2. opionino : what are the drawbacks of adding the spacers?
1. No... never will...
2. Your suspension will be buggered...
With 5 people on board, it's better to practise careful driving than to contemplate screwing the suspension...
Old 5th April 2006, 15:21   #20
BHPian

There is no significant damage that can be done to any components on the underside of the Baleno while scraping bumpers so nothing to worry about there.
Old 5th April 2006, 15:51   #21
BHPian

I own a Baleno in Sikkim, so I should probably be the authority as far as scraping and low ground clearance are concerned. And yes, I agree. with 5 people on board with full luggage, the baleno does tend to bottom out over the mountain speed breakers, esp. the sharp pointed ones put up by the locals outside their villages by the roadside, apparently to prevent their chicken/cattle/spawn from being run over by speeding vehicles.

I've had the heart-rending experience of hearing and feeling the bottom of my precious car being scraped and unconsciously squeezing the bottom (my own) and trying to make myself levitate countless times.

The good news is that if U are not going too fast, even painfully screeching scrapes don't seem to do much damage to the vitals of the car. It's mostly the crossmember frame (?) that get's scraped. Just avoid the Cat Converter.

Tell U what? Get the underbody of Ur car Anti- Rust painted so when U do scrape it, U'll know exactly how much damage is caused, besides, it's good doing this now, pre- monsoon, innit, guys? and while at it, ask the mechanic to identify the location of the Cat. converter and the gas tank. If possible, try to avoid scraping those parts. Anything else I should avoid scraping?

My two bits- Take the bigger rounded bumpers at an angle so that when Ur front right tyre is coming down, the back left should be climbing the monument. That should help.

- Slow down sufficiently just before U come to the infernal construction. So when U r actually going over it, Ur brake pedal is not depressed. I found that helps tremendously as the dampers are not compressed.

- Put photos/ idols of various gods/ goddesses/ protective dieties, pray hard, curse the locals/ road maintainence guys/ BROs (that's Border Roads Organisation to U big city fellows)/ authorities, squeeze bottom while going above speedbreakers in aforementioned manner/ ask wife, girlfriend, significant other to get out of the car while going over said speed bumper. Inform her to take her baggage out of the trunk, too,.....
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2006, 16:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
- Put photos/ idols of various gods/ goddesses/ protective dieties, pray hard, curse the locals/ road maintainence guys/ BROs (that's Border Roads Organisation to U big city fellows)/ authorities, squeeze bottom while going above speedbreakers in aforementioned manner/ ask wife, girlfriend, significant other to get out of the car while going over said speed bumper. Inform her to take her baggage out of the trunk, too,.....
That one is really hilarious And yes, attacking speedbraker at 45 degree angle should help.
Old 5th April 2006, 16:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Happened to me a couple of times too. Need to get down under the car one of these days and check the damage.
I wouldn't use any spacers or anything. Maybe take them slowly and at an angle, if traffic permits.
Old 5th April 2006, 16:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
LOL...you have an awesome sense of humor!!
OT: my NHC also scrapes brakers when there are 4+ occupants..but if u tackle it at an angle ..you'll be fine
Old 6th April 2006, 13:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Happened to me a couple of times too. Need to get down under the car one of these days and check the damage.
I wouldn't use any spacers or anything. Maybe take them slowly and at an angle, if traffic permits.
Guys,

I think experts like SupremeBaleno are pretty much unanimous in their advise...

1. Dont add spacers
2. Take the car at an angle (45 degrees if possible)

Point one taken, point 2, really tough in traffic without risking car sides being brushed royally. Any tips here are welcome..

Cost of scraping, as told by the mechanic.

1. catalytic converter if damaged would cost 13k
2. silencer system if damaged would cost 8k
3. some metal plate provided on the left and right of car if damaged would be 3k each.

Just scrape marks on them i was told is ok.
Old 6th April 2006, 14:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hold on, Venkat. I am no expert or anything. :-)
The reason why I would not go for spacers is because I firmly believe that the manufacturer knows best and thus I do not like tampering with stuff (more so, when that could screw up other stuff).
Also, taking the bumps at an angle is not always possible due to traffic. As someone suggested on this thread, one way is to brake to a near-stop at the bump, release the brakes and then take it slowly, real slowly.
BTW, in my small town in Kerala, they are laying neat bumps as per the specs which even when taken at medium speeds do not cause any scraping. Wonder when the guys in the Metros will catch up ?
Old 6th April 2006, 15:02   #27
BHPian

Hi SupremeBaleno,

I think the approach below should be of some help in heavy traffic..

"one way is to brake to a near-stop at the bump, release the brakes and then take it slowly, real slowly"

Bangalore is not a metro......but roads are horrible......now with baleno even speedbreakers look horrible.
Old 9th May 2006, 17:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
After 3 scrape incidents, I finally got worried enough to get under the car when it was parked at home. One thing that struck me as I was sliding underneath was that our old M800 (the 1st model) seemed to have more G.C.. Or is it that I put on weight over the years ?
Anyway, I slid under the car and even after quite some visual inspection, I could not see any signs of scratches or scrapes. Did notice that the end of the exhaust pipe is bent downwards (a potential scraping hazard).
Old 10th May 2006, 12:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Instead of using spacers to resolve the low GC problem, one can also use taller tyres (175/80/13) on the same 13 inch rim or use bigger rim and taller tyres (185/70/14).

Last edited by directinjection : 10th May 2006 at 12:52.
Old 8th December 2007, 20:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Just curious, we have a Xeta with CNG. Now its rear GC has *really* decreased. We had minor camber issues as well. Somehow don't recall mom's m800 (sold) didnt have that issue - but going forward, mom's alto will also get CNG in next coupleof days. Should we add minor spacers? Even 10-15mm would be good but I don;t have a clue about their impact on handling/safety/warranty et al.

I see swifts/wagonR's every day as taxis which have the same GC issue. Just wondering what other guys with CNG have done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks