Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2005, 12:41   #1

Baleno - Low ground clearence

If 4 people sit in Balano, it often scaps the speed brakers. I have based on the advise of the dealer, got the height raised by putting the spacers.
I would like to know that is this going to affect the suspension of the car and is this the right solution.
Old 11th October 2005, 13:37   #2
BHPian

actually i realized the same thing only recently ... never had 4 people in my car before ... and the other day, the bottom got scraped ... well, we were going over a mountain shaped speed breaker though ... but under normal conditions, if one goes over the speed breakers at reasonable speeds, the bottom shouldn't get scraped. out of curiosity, why would one want to have spacers if the tyres are stock? i think the car is designed properly for stock tyres.

Last edited by satan_crazy : 11th October 2005 at 13:38.
Old 12th October 2005, 20:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Raising the suspension would affect handling won't it?
Isn't it better to simply upgrade the alloys and tyres?
Old 12th October 2005, 21:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Raising the suspension would affect handling won't it?
Isn't it better to simply upgrade the alloys and tyres?

yeah raising the suspension would definitly affect handling specially while cornering and at high speeds.

Karthik
how would changing to alloys and better tyres raise or reduce height and more so stop the bottom from scrapping.

rev

Last edited by revtech : 12th October 2005 at 22:01.
Old 12th October 2005, 22:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

I dunno ...it wz a question, not a statement. I just thought gettin bigger alloys would help. i'm stupid
Old 12th October 2005, 23:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dunno ...it wz a question, not a statement. I just thought gettin bigger alloys would help. i'm stupid

oh .bigger alloys will just enhance the look and performance of the car as it will have a smaller side wall which will help while cornering.how ever the ride will become bumpier and if upgraded to a much biggersize , the tyre may even scrape the wall.but theres noy way changing the size of the alloys is going to help the car from scrapping the bottom less often.

rev
Old 13th October 2005, 01:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

My baleno scraping was the biggest problem i faced on my trip to ooty.THe car fully loaded with 4 adults and luggage scraped every friggin bump.I was following in another car and noticed that the exhaust pipe (either from the cat to the muffler or the expansion cham. to the muff.) is bent downwards.Its like that on all balenos.
My 2 cents
\
binz
Old 13th October 2005, 03:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

yeah it is like that on my baleno too.at first i thought it got bent but then realized that it came like that only.any reason why ?? the only reasons i can think of is

1) so that the harmfull gasses coming out from the exhaust go down and not directly into the face of some biker behind or someone standing behind the car

2) the bumpers are body coloured so its bent downwards to prevent the bumper from becoming black due to the deposition of the gases coming out of the exhaust

i know the reasons i have posted are stupid but thats what i thought.so what is the real reason.

Rev
Old 13th October 2005, 22:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maybe to just hide the whole exhaust sys
Old 13th October 2005, 23:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe to just hide the whole exhaust sys

if thats the reason then they did a pathetic job as it is very promonent and easily visible.i doubt it was to hide it its not really concealed , its jus bent downwards so i doubt its because of that.

Rev
Old 16th October 2005, 15:14   #11
BHPian

I thought (and have heard) its the soft suspension that causes the scraping when you take a speed breaker faster than you should.
The ground clearance officially is better than or equal to several other cars in India. Stiffening the suspension may help but at the cost of your ride.
Luckily , in Mumbai, where I drive, all non standard and illegal speed breakers are gone.
Old 16th October 2005, 20:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Jain
If 4 people sit in Balano, it often scaps the speed brakers. I have based on the advise of the dealer, got the height raised by putting the spacers.
How much did you raise it by? An inch? Did you get your alignment checked after that.
Old 27th December 2005, 18:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Jain
I would like to know that is this going to affect the suspension of the car and is this the right solution.
Are you happy with the results after getting the car's suspension raised? Any problems felt while cornering?
Old 31st December 2005, 12:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
My baleno scraping was the biggest problem i faced on my trip to ooty.THe car fully loaded with 4 adults and luggage scraped every friggin bump.I was following in another car and noticed that the exhaust pipe (either from the cat to the muffler or the expansion cham. to the muff.) is bent downwards.Its like that on all balenos.
My 2 cents
\
binz
Probably the tailpipe is bent downwards so that if the car is stuck in a flood, the trapped air / exhaust gas will not allow water to enter
Old 3rd April 2006, 11:39   #15
BHPian

Baleno ground clearance

Hi Guys,

During my long drives of about 700-800 kms my baleno's underbody scraped at 4 places (with 5 passengers). I got the underbody inspected and found the scratches on the following.

1. silencer tail pipe
2. a metal strip
3. catalytic converter

All these looked ok, no major dent, just scraping.

The maruti guys told that they can add 'spacers' and increase the ground clearance. Before I get this done I would to ask two things.

1. poll : if you have got spacer added to improve ground clearance.
2. opionino : what are the drawbacks of adding the spacers?

Most Viewed