Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2010, 01:46   #1
BHPian

Accent Steering/Suspension/Pickup Problems

Hi,
I own a Hyundai accent GLS 2001 model and have driven it for 90k kms. I have been facing couple of issues with it for almost 6 - 8 months which haven’t been rectified despite several services and consultations.

Problem 1
The steering feels very heavy and maneuvering becomes a challenge after crossing 50, at times maintaining the curve of the road is tough. Initially the A.S.S gave me gyan stating that it’s because of the upgraded tyres&alloys, I have Hankook Ventus R-SZ 195/60 R14 on my ride. This went on for few services post which I consulted a wheel alignment center during which I found that the camber was 1 degree bent, which I got fixed.

Later I got the power steering pump, lower arm, ball joints, axle..Etc checked and found no issues, the mechanic who checked them told me that it might me a manufacturing defect.

I did ask them to check the steering rack/column but as per them these parts might not be the reason for a heavy steering.

Problem 2
The drive feels like as if I’m in a boat, it’s bouncy and rolls like crazy. I have changed all 4 shocks and stiffened the coil, should I change the coils too? Or do you suggest any aftermarket shocks/coils.

Problem 3
The car has very poor pickup, as soon as the car slows down it takes a good 10 secs to regain momentum(this happens in both ac/non ac scenarios).Several times I end up shifting down to the 1st gear to regain power or shut down the ac and then pull it in the 2nd gear.

I've heard the engine knock most of the times till it regains power, last week post complaining AGAIN about the pickup and knocking issues the Hyundai A.S.S guys cleaned the fuel injectors and also found that the fuel was adulterated and had a strong thinner smell(funny..I spend extra money by only pouring Shell Petrol in both my cars), they cleaned the fuel tank and changed the supply pipes too.

The knocking sound has gone post cleaning (I do remember them cleaning the injectors earlier, but the engine always knocked, maybe they used a new cleaning mantra this time) the injectors but there is no improvement in the pickup.

Should i install CAI,Headers,FFE to improve the pickup, how much would it cost me ?

I love this car and have lot of fond memories attached, I have paid a lot of visits to the service center as well as other mechanics and I’m tired and missing the sheer pleasure of driving..Friends I need help.

If any one of you knows a good consultant/mechanic for an Accent in Hyderabad, please let me know.
Old 26th April 2010, 01:46   #2
BHPian

Team,

Awaiting your valuable suggestons.
Old 26th April 2010, 09:35   #3
BHPian

HI,
By any chance do your doubt your brakes. Are they jammed. Can the car freely roll while you leave it in neutral from a considerable speed?
What is the tyre pressure you maintain. Is it as per the car maker's specs. Over inflated tyre could result in a bouncy ride.
Old 26th April 2010, 15:25   #4
BHPian

Ilangop,

I dont have any issues with the brakes and the car rolls freely while in nuetral,tyre pressure is maintained at 30PSI.
Old 26th April 2010, 15:44   #5
BANNED

check you engine bed /gearbox bed . CV joint .
Old 27th April 2010, 00:16   #6
BHPian

Can you throw some light as to how the engine/gear box bed effect the car performance.

Last edited by High Torque : 27th April 2010 at 00:22.
Old 27th April 2010, 04:37   #7
BHPian

Get your car de-carbed. Clean the intake manifold thoroughly....& i mean thoroughly. Also check your TPS sensor, IAT sensor....infact ALL sensors attached to the intake manifold. I too had some pick-up problems with the elantra earlier which was attributed to the above.

Get the air-filter cleaned, or replace it. Also get your sparks plugs & plug wires checked for resistance. Normally these wires have a useful life of 4-5 years after which their performance decreases considerably. Also get you car checked with a Hi-Scan. Any trouble codes?

Last edited by 1self : 27th April 2010 at 04:38.
Old 1st May 2010, 18:45   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Torque View Post
Can you throw some light as to how the engine/gear box bed effect the car performance.

If the engine bed /GB bed is worn , then the engine will rest at a position lower than it should be .This might cause the GB -Wheel angle to change and the CV joint might not be at an optimum angle to deliver power . Sometimes , this happens if the car has scraped and the beds have relocated . Similalry if a cv Joint is worn out , then the transfer of power to the wheels will have a higher friction on the cv joints . So this also affects pickup and power delivery .
Old 1st May 2010, 22:04   #9
BHPian

with regards to the suspension and steering problem you have to run a thorough check of your suspension and steering.looks like you have done most of them just check up the remaining parts as well.

Performance its pretty much the same story with my getz the service executive said i should change air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, transmission oil and one more thing every 30000kms. as of now only the air filter is changed. will be changing the rest after a while as i wont be using the car for sometime. will update the difference when i get it done.

like other said go for decarbonisation, proper injector and tank flush, also try engine flush, change the air filter, petrol filter and spark plugs.
Also check you exhuast system there are high chances of rust choking inside it, blocking the flow.

Last edited by fuhrer : 1st May 2010 at 22:07.
Old 1st May 2010, 23:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Torque View Post
Initially the A.S.S gave me gyan stating that it’s because of the upgraded tyres&alloys, I have Hankook Ventus R-SZ 195/60 R14 on my ride.
As a quick check, maybe you can swap back to the 175/70-R14 stock tyres for a few km (borrow them from someone, for example) and check if they result in an improvement to the ride, handling and pickup.
Old 5th May 2010, 20:05   #11
BHPian

Friends thanks a ton for all your suggestions, I have got the tank flushed,fuel intake pipes changed and de-carbed over the week end.

I notice a considerable change in the pickup both in ac/non ac scenarios, will get a thorough clean up of the manifold and also get the complete system checked in a day or two.

greatmana2000:
I think i have a worn out GB bush which needs to be replaced, will get that changed too.During the last service i was told the CV joints were fine, anyways will get them checked.

SS- Traveller:
The steering heavyness started few months back...i did not have any problem with the same set of upgraded tyres earlier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks