Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 22:46   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I know people that I am probably having a wrong Question for not so Right Ride. But guys I have been on TBHP for quite sometime now and I have realized one thing. Out here, a Petrohead will either find or would get assisted with finding just about anything for his/her ride!!

I really need to know if a Small Car/Engine like the one on Santro, be Supercharged ?
I am not intending it to do 0-100 in 4secs kinda Stuff for sure !!
But just the way a Peted Diesel engine has better air flow which directly translates into performance, can Santro Xing engine be Supercharged ?

I DON'T WANT TO GO IN FOR A HEADER IF THAT IS THE ONLY WAY OUT!!
Hi Vik0728,

Superchargers and turbo chargers requires a lot of other upgrades like you will have to do a ECM remap, upgraded injectors, free flow exhaust to begin with, the list is actually endless.
I presonally feel don't waste your money in trying to get more juice out of the santro. Just be happy with a free flow exhaust and aftermarket air filter.
I would rather suggest you to try a esteem or OHC (its expensive on the spares compared to esteem).
I have had supercharged esteem earlier it had so much of power that it required upgraded clutch which were really hard to use in B'lore. I really miss the esteem now.

-Sathya
Old 30th April 2010, 10:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Fuhrer your choice of performance almost mirrors mine buddy and frankly was actually what I'm looking for from my car. I hit highways at the most once or twice in every 2 months. So I don't need a ride that can beat a Skoda VRS on highway. Since most of my driving is within the city, I just want a car that can Zip away from a signal stop..in a very safe way!!

as rjstyles has posted, after market headers can be easily replaced with OEM headers and as far as my knowledge goes, its just as easy as fitting the aftermarket ones!!

After all your opinions and views regarding a supercharger for Santro, I agree with you Sathya and will stick to a header and a free flow exhaust. I personally don't like any of the suzuki makes and Honda would be off budget for me for now.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:18   #18
BHPian

@rjstyles69 & @vik0728 Guys please explain me about this header stuff, i'm an amature i thought header meaning valve porting and cylinder polishing stuff i dont have clear idea about them as well. :-P
Are you guys talking about multi branching the exhuast??

@vik0728 ya buddy all we need is a zippier ride for city drive :-)

@satya yes the list goes never ending and at last might end up with a car which is non-reliable car or one which loses the drivablity that is uneven power band
As you say its better to go in for a air filter upgrade and exhuast. i feel spark plug upgrade will enhance it more and if one can afford an engine flush and injector flush and go in for synthetic oil.

another doubt if we do multi branching of exhuast(4-2-1) how will they calibrate the O2 sensor from the exhuast??

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd May 2010 at 00:14. Reason: 2 smileys max. Please make sure you read the Team-BHP rules before continuing. Thanks.
Old 30th April 2010, 20:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer View Post
@rjstyles69 & @vik0728 Guys please explain me about this header stuff, i'm an amature i thought header meaning valve porting and cylinder polishing stuff i dont have clear idea about them as well.
An excellent thread here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...-your-car.html by GTO . Read it, has a lot of valuable information.

Quote:
3. Free-Flow Exhaust:A well-designed free flow exhaust system improves the breathing abilities of your engine and can lead to good performance / fuel-efficiency gains. It is important to get a complete free-flow kit (including headers) and not a muffler / end-can kit only. A good header design is very important and you may specify to your installer a preference of low, mid or high-rpm gains. Very little time is actually spent at high-rpms so you might be better off asking for a low to mid-range power gain.

The appropriate back pressure must be maintained else you will lose out on torque. An exhaust system is like a chain and only as strong as its weakest link. The most restrictive part is usually the cat-con or the mid-muffler. Some tuners will remove the cat-con, which will result in difficulty toward meeting the emission norms.

Also, try and insulate the exposed part of the exhaust system within the hood with asbestos wire (cheap) or ceramic coating (expensive). Approximate cost = Rs.7,500 – 25,000
Quote:
Are you guys talking about multi branching the exhuast??
Thats how they are built, usually 4x2x1(low end torque-street spec) or a 4x1(rally spec) types depending on the number of cylinders(3/4) your car has.

Quote:
i feel spark plug upgrade will enhance it more
For what 8-10bhp gains ? Save your money and buy yourself something better.
Old 30th April 2010, 20:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
For what 8-10bhp gains ? Save your money and buy yourself something better.
What 8-10bhp gains? Spark plugs?
Old 30th April 2010, 20:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
What 8-10bhp gains? Spark plugs?
pranavt you definitely dint understand the context of the statement .
Old 1st May 2010, 02:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
pranavt you definitely dint understand the context of the statement .
easy brother i have heard from people that it adds up to lower end range if it is installed with air filter upgrade, without that its utterly pointless in upgrading spark plug with stock set up. however if you say even with air filter and exhuast upgrade its worthless spending on spark plugs then well will make a note of it.
Old 2nd May 2010, 09:27   #23
BHPian

Just a quick google search turned up this website - seems like they have a complete turbo unit for the i10/getz 1.1 litre engines - that should fit the santro as well

The site is in italian - so you'll need to translate it - I've copy pasted the details (in english) below

HYUNDAI I10 TURBO GETZ TURBO 1.1 12v

"Can be installed on all versions 1.1 12v to transform the car into turbo
engine also GETZ usually with

Fit on all 1.1 12v GETZ and I10 Complete kit turbo processing
includes:

turbocharger, exhaust manifold, downpipe, injectors increased, fuel pressure regulator, external wastegate, Unichip, manicotteria steel and silicone air-air intercooler, pop off outdoor air.

65HP become original with 106hp 0.7 bar without opening the engine through the electronic unit Unichip (kit without intercooler still ...) over 200km / h speedometer and get there immediately."
Old 17th June 2010, 11:13   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCzar View Post
You can use some off the shelf electronic superchargers imported
That will give you some punch

Getting the car to have a real supercharger integrated
you will have lots of work to do

Once supercharged you will have to upgrade the braking too
and the exhaust etc etc (equates to change your car)

I doubt Santros engine bay area will give you scope for any ..
Can you throw some light on these electronic superchargers?
Ears definitely perked.....
Old 17th June 2010, 12:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Simple fans bolted on inside the intake pipe. A bunch of crap, stay away from them.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:01   #26
Team-BHP Support

I honestly think it's a waste of money, time and effort trying to supercharge a city hatch like the Santro. Installing a supercharger is more complicated than installing a turbocharger as well.

The problem is, you might end up with an engine that's reduced to nothing if, God forbid, something goes wrong. And even if everything goes right, you'll have a car that would be as cranky as a Pomeranian and demands constant TLC.

If you want power, why don't you go in for some simple modifications like a K&N universal filter and a header or something?

Otherwise, go bonkers on a second hand Zen.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

If it is for amusement, go ahead by all means. (see: Bisimoto's Turbo build: Quest for 700whp D16Z WagoVan - D-series.org and )

Otherwise, there are better cars within the same range that will do more for less and won't turn turtle at the first high speed turn.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:58   #28
BHPian

It can be done

Any car can be supercharged and tuned with a proper piggyback ecu. We regularly do such projects.

The question is whther you think it is worth the cost of supercharger for such a small call.

You will need to upgrade the brakes for the increased power.

This may not be the best choice for such an upgrade from the cost benefit perspective.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks