Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 11:24   #1
BANNED

H&R Springs On Stock Shocks For A Skoda RS

Hey Guys,

As you all know i own a Skoda RS.I have been noticing for a while.Compared to all other Octys only the RS has the rear suspension lifted(may be to make it more aerodynamic).But i find it really awkward as the car looks slanted slightly to the front.

Hence i decided to make it normal without spending much.I called up petes and asked him about the H&R Sports OE Springs.What he told me was that,if i change only the springs the wheel bearing could create problems and shocks also will be non-functional after a while.The springs only cost 18-25k,but including the shocks,it costs around 75 k.

I dont intend to use the car for any track purposes and therefore i dont need such costly suspension.Only thing that i need is to alter the looks of my car.

I need all your suggestions.Should i go in only for the H&R Springs or should i get another set of Skoda Octavia stock Rear Springs.Please do help me with this.......

Last edited by HAFI : 27th April 2010 at 11:28.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

If the springs are stiffer than stock, they will kill stock shocks soon. See if you can get the stock shocks revalved, it's an inexpensive way to make them stiff enough to handle stiffer springs.
Old 28th April 2010, 21:57   #3
BANNED

what is re-valving of shocks?...and does Petes do that?
Old 29th April 2010, 09:33   #4
BHPian

Re-valving is a method to either overhaul or stiffen stock shocks. Its done by replacement of shock oil, oil seals, shock springs etc.

Dont think Pete's will do that. Rather look around at local garage's or shock repair shops. But i dont think revalving will help your cause as you want a lower rear end.

Check with Skoda whether there is a difference in the specs of the rear shocks and/or springs. If so try get the appropriate part from the other Octy's and it should be suffice.
Old 29th April 2010, 09:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have you thought about raising the front a bit with spacers instead of going through all this hassle of replacing the rear suspension?

Does anyone know if the 1.9 tdi coils will sit on a RS?(I haven't done it but could be the simplest solution)

Last edited by Psycho : 29th April 2010 at 09:39.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:11   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Re-valving is a method to either overhaul or stiffen stock shocks. Its done by replacement of shock oil, oil seals, shock springs etc.

Dont think Pete's will do that. Rather look around at local garage's or shock repair shops. But i dont think revalving will help your cause as you want a lower rear end.

Check with Skoda whether there is a difference in the specs of the rear shocks and/or springs. If so try get the appropriate part from the other Octy's and it should be suffice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Have you thought about raising the front a bit with spacers instead of going through all this hassle of replacing the rear suspension?

Does anyone know if the 1.9 tdi coils will sit on a RS?(I haven't done it but could be the simplest solution)
I inquired about the octy 1.9 shocks,its a bit better than the atock rs shocks..but don't know whether it could fit the rs,and thats the confusion,the rear springs of octy 1.9 cost around 3k in the local market and in skoda authorized service centers around 10k.

And if it was h&r springs it would have been lot easier for me.I got a deal for used h&r for RS.The price quoted was 15k(only springs) and it looks a stunner.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFI View Post
I inquired about the octy 1.9 shocks,its a bit better than the atock rs shocks..but don't know whether it could fit the rs,and thats the confusion,the rear springs of octy 1.9 cost around 3k in the local market and in skoda authorized service centers around 10k.

And if it was h&r springs it would have been lot easier for me.I got a deal for used h&r for RS.The price quoted was 15k(only springs) and it looks a stunner.
@HAFI,

you only need to replace the rear springs with that of the 1.9. And that too it'll be OEM. IF u go for the stiffer springs, you will have to replace all four shocks faster than you can imagine. Considering the prices of shocks for Skoda's i dont think that's something you will want to do.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:04   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
@HAFI,

you only need to replace the rear springs with that of the 1.9. And that too it'll be OEM. IF u go for the stiffer springs, you will have to replace all four shocks faster than you can imagine. Considering the prices of shocks for Skoda's i dont think that's something you will want to do.
Yeah so that's good huh?...i inquired about the rear springs and it cost only 3k in the local market...will it lower the rear end considerably? ...
Old 30th April 2010, 06:24   #9
BHPian

What H&R springs are you getting? Sport or race? Race would be too low imo. Sport is comfortable too and easier on the shocks.

Installing performance shocks along with the springs is always better. Else you will decrease the life of the stock shocks significantly but hopefully not quicker than you can save for the sport shocks.

Also, probability is that your current shocks will die before the bearing or the control arms.

If I was you, considering the labor costs in India of doing a suspension overhaul twice, I will give this a try.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:31   #10
BHPian

Hi,
If you are lowering the car then you have to change the S-Bar too.If you are running on stock S-Bar it will throw fault code from head lights.

Regards,
PJ
Old 30th April 2010, 22:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSPEED View Post
Hi,
If you are lowering the car then you have to change the S-Bar too.If you are running on stock S-Bar it will throw fault code from head lights.

Regards,
PJ
You should be able to get the leveling sensors re adapted using the COM tool in case there is a code.

Here is a diy on an a4 - clicky

Last edited by 16v100bhp : 30th April 2010 at 22:49.
Old 1st May 2010, 10:13   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSPEED View Post
Hi,

Regards,
PJ
does that apply for even stock Octy 1.9 coils?And what is S-Bar?
Old 1st May 2010, 10:15   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp View Post
What H&R springs are you getting? Sport or race? Race would be too low imo. Sport is comfortable too and easier on the shocks.

Installing performance shocks along with the springs is always better. Else you will decrease the life of the stock shocks significantly but hopefully not quicker than you can save for the sport shocks.

Also, probability is that your current shocks will die before the bearing or the control arms.

If I was you, considering the labor costs in India of doing a suspension overhaul twice, I will give this a try.
I have been offered for a set of Sports OE Springs for 15k.
Old 2nd May 2010, 00:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFI View Post
I have been offered for a set of Sports OE Springs for 15k.
So that is 20 + 15 for spring and shock combo?? pretty good deal i guess.

Did you check the price on coilovers?

S-Bar -> Sway bar
Old 5th May 2010, 22:09   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp View Post
So that is 20 + 15 for spring and shock combo?? pretty good deal i guess.

Did you check the price on coil overs?

S-Bar -> Sway bar
Sorry for the late response.I was out of internet connection.

Nope.The shock plus spring combo is offered for 40k.

And is new coil overs necessary for suspension change?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks