Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 17:17   #1
BHPian

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..

ever since the arrival of my swift VDi in september2009 , i have been constantly and steadily been personalising the car to my liking. below is the list of things i had done over these months.
1. 14" alloys (EVO-taiwan made)
2. Rear Spoiler(Swift Sport OE type)
3. underchassis neon lights
4. interior blue LED lighting-entire car
5. reverse parking sensor(with blue lights on the sensor dots!)
6. ICE-Pioneer 4190 DVD 1-din HU,Hertz component speakers on doors,12" Polk subwoofer, 1000W Rockford Fosgate mono amp for the sub and 500W Kenwood 4 channel amp for the door components, Caliber Wiring kit for the installation,Wurth sound damping for all the doors and Necvox roof monitor for watching movies.
7. Stanley Leather seats, incl. OE type steering cover.
8. a funky spinner gear knob(had to cut out the regular one and did some alterations to get the fitting right) and chrome exhaust tips.
9. 90/100 headlights.
10. skoda type horn.
11. Garmin Nuvi 715
12. door scuff plates with 'swift' in lights.
13. Llumar steel 35 sides and PP60 front sunfilms.
14. since the car had done 10200 kms already, i went for a complete OWS treatment(fully synthetic oil, engine protector, fuel treatment etc.)
15. last but not the least and perhaps the most important of all was the chip tuning from RACECHIP which was installed just a few hours back.
how the chip tuning works:
instead of conventional ones which remap the ECM or some kind of tampering with OE, this beauty plays around with only the fuel sending units. the wiring harness of RACECHIP slots itself between the 3 pin clip on the common rail unit and the OE wiring harness unit. this is then plugged into the RACECHIP box.
it was an amazing revelation of sorts when we plugged in the ECM scanner at the dealership and saw the readings appear.
1. in the idling position the standard ECM readouts(without RACECHIP) for fuel pressure/sending was between 5 to 7 cu.mm.this is the amount of fuel that is being sent to the engine during idling.
as the acceleration increases, the volume of fuel flow also increases from 5 to 7 to 9cu.mm and onwards.
now what RACECHIP does is, at start and idle it sends just 4 cu.mm of fuel, thus reducing fuel consumption at that time. however, when accelerating, the fuel sending unit pumps out much more rapidly from 7 cu.mm and above depending on the acceleration giving an amazing surge of power when needed.
Now when the foot is off the accelerator, the stock/normal ECM settings(without RACECHIP) STILL send out about 2 cu.mm to help the engine idle with minimum fuel flow, but with the RACECHIP on, the fuel flow drops to zero when the foot is off the accelerator, thus saving 2 cu.mm during EVERY deceleration! which is like more than hundred times in peak traffic time! so now i have the best of both worlds-my fuel consumption is reduced drastically in city traffic AND i also have a 25% power increase when i need it!!! .
the only drawback, theoretically, i foresee is at long idling periods the aircon compressor might be experiencing a strain due to the lean fuel flow into the engine and hence a lower driving power to the compressor unit. this can however be eliminated by setting the thermostat to 22 degrees or higher to ensure compressor cut off to reduce compressor strain and save fuel as well.
i am planning on a long trip to maybe Yelagiri or Pondy to test out the full potential of the RACECHIP..so stay tuned for regular updates on this one!!!

Last edited by sterlingjames : 4th May 2010 at 17:36.
sterlingjames is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2010, 17:28   #2
BHPian

James,
Please post pictures. quite an exhaustive list. would love to see all in pictures.

Cheers..!!
Old 4th May 2010, 17:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Dude, Where the hell are the pictures?? Stuffs like these should always be accompanied by pics!!

After installing the chip, has that affected FE?
Old 4th May 2010, 17:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Dude, Where the hell are the pictures?? Stuffs like these should always be accompanied by pics!!

After installing the chip, has that affected FE?
guys!...i havent got my camera with me today, will click pics of all the work done and post it soon!....i have just tanked up and will test out the FE and give you a full and detailed report, i promise!
Old 4th May 2010, 17:36   #5
BHPian

Wanted more feedback on the RACECHIP, are you still running on stock Filter? If so watch out for the Black smoke.
Wating for the report on Yelagiri or Pondy trip.

Pls update the pics of all the 14 mods you did.
Old 4th May 2010, 17:51   #6
BANNED

eager me!!! tried peeping into your empty garage
Old 4th May 2010, 18:07   #7
BHPian

this tread is useless without pictures sorry but had to say it;

eagerly awaiting pictures
Old 4th May 2010, 18:12   #8
BHPian

@james:
Why did you go for Engine Protector, Fuel Treatment etc for 10000kms vehicle?
any specific reason.
Normally, we put mineral oil for VDI. How come synthetic?

For my 10000kms service, i just changed the Oil (Mobil Delvac MX) and air filter with all the other normal checks.
Old 4th May 2010, 18:20   #9
BHPian

Hi,

What is this racechip that you are talking about. Is it available for all the cars with MJD engine. can you please provide some more information on it so that others like me who would be interested can also have the info available.

Thanks,
Kailash
Old 4th May 2010, 18:45   #10
BHPian

James, I believe most of your customizationwere done in Electra, chennai. I would love to see your car in person in one of the meets.
Old 5th May 2010, 07:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

James,

This thread is incomplete without the pics.. Please post the pics of all your mods that you have mentioned in the list. Can you share the details of the door scuff plates?
Old 5th May 2010, 08:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjames View Post
:
Now when the foot is off the accelerator, the stock/normal ECM settings(without RACECHIP) STILL send out about 2 cu.mm to help the engine idle with minimum fuel flow, but with the RACECHIP on, the fuel flow drops to zero when the foot is off the accelerator, thus saving 2 cu.mm during EVERY deceleration! which is like more than hundred times in peak traffic time! so now i have the best of both worlds-my fuel consumption is reduced drastically in city traffic

Does this not cause a jerky deceleration ? Or jerks during traffic because of 0 fuel input ? Does it not cause rapid deceleration when you leave it at high speeds ?
Old 5th May 2010, 09:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

A vehicle running lean for longer period will heat up the engine and cause more harm IMHO.

Experts your comments about this please.

Can you also post the $ spend on the accessories.
Old 5th May 2010, 15:38   #14
BHPian

finally, the pics...
Attached Thumbnails
my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-007.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-008.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-010.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-011.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-013.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-015.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-016.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-017.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-018.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-019.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-020.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-021.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-023.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-024.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-025.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-026.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-028.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-033.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-034.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-036.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-038.jpg  

my Swift Vdi is now finally COMPLETE!..-swift-vdi-040.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 5th May 2010, 15:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen1 View Post
Wanted more feedback on the RACECHIP, are you still running on stock Filter? If so watch out for the Black smoke.
dear Praveen, used to run on K&N, but switched back to the OE for the sake of the chip. the first thing i checked was for tell-tale signs of rich/lean mix of fuel..but till now the exhaust is ok. no black smoke or otherwise. the chip is from germany.check out www.racechip.de for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
A vehicle running lean for longer period will heat up the engine and cause more harm IMHO.
Can you also post the $ spend on the accessories.
Dear Jkdas,
my opinion as well, i think only the long run will show actual results. the german guys who design the system say that their settings are the most detailed and can't go wrong...
spend was almost 2 big ones but spread out gradually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
James, I believe most of your customizationwere done in Electra, chennai. I would love to see your car in person in one of the meets.
Dear ElantraGT, none of the work was done at electra! .all done at HCZ.
it will definitely be a pleasure to meet up,though..
dear blackstallion76,i do understand your query about the OWS package so early on(10K service).
KD Madan highly recommended the OWS treatment that was done. although i believed him completely and did it without a question, the performance difference is actually there, so my trust was completely justified. maybe,that's why he is still one of the most respected auto-experts around!
in fact the RACECHIP was also his advice.....

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th May 2010 at 19:14. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi (Quote +) instead, Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks