Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 16:22   #1
BHPian

Octavia vRS:Streetglow Pro-Series Strobe System Install

Hi all,

I have recently acquired an Octavia vRS.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...2-finally.html

I am keen on going in for strobes(I respect all those who find strobes flashy, but then with me it has always been a big fascination) and am ordering StreetGlow Pro series of Headlight strobes from the US.

Although, there is a thread on strobes, I could not find any tips specific to the installation of strobes on the vRS considering it has a unique housing including fogs and xenons in the headlight assembly.Now, how do I install the strobes(it's a set of four u-shaped bulbs)?

In the thread on strobes I came across people installing strobes in place of their parking lights.But mind you, the strobes that I'm keen on are U-shaped(and maybe larger than ordinary rectangular bulbs??), so I guess I'll have to drill the parking light hole a little bigger than what it actually is at present.Parking lights are in any case a little dim for my liking and I usually drive with the xenons on.So does that mean the strobes will always be on when I have the xenons on, or is there a way to switch it off through the control box already supplied with the kit?Also I'm planning to go with 2 strobes in the front and 2 strobes in the rear reverse light housing.

In that case what happens when I switch on the high beam light?Is it advisable to really drill a seperate hole in the headlamp assembly for installing these or will drilling and making the parking light slot a little larger suffice?I dont want to go the seperate hole way as the headlamp housing is an expensive component in the vRS.

What is the right way to go about the install?All suggestions will be appreciated.

Below is the type of strobes I'm getting.

SGPROSKIT - PRO-SERIES STROBE SYSTEM

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by octane1002 : 11th May 2010 at 16:24.
Old 11th May 2010, 22:00   #2
BANNED

how much does it cost dude?
Old 11th May 2010, 23:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

i wouldnt touch the headlights, especially drilling if i were you. instead why not just install the bulbs in the grille in between the headlights and the other 2 bulbs in the grille below the headlights. they will be behind the grille but the strobes will still be well seen.
Old 12th May 2010, 09:16   #4
BHPian

@hafi:Price mentioned on the website.Afriend of mine is bringing it down.

@akshay1234:The thing is the type of strobes i'm getting are the most expensive show quality ones fron SG.So I'm a lil skeptical on keeping them open to the elements.Went through a lot of installation instructions/videos on the web and they all involve drilling the headlamp housing.Is replacing the parking light an option in case of the u-shaped strobes?
Old 12th May 2010, 11:25   #5

Hi,
BIG No to strobes on RS. Keep it stock.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Yes I agree that strobes are totally bling, and even I am a big fan of the same

Front and rear arrangement, really works cool

Now to the advice part, one of the easiest options is to install the strobe in the headlight housing, in lieu of the parking bulbs / pilot lamp. But yes, you will loose the parking bulbs. By the look of the strobe shape, I guess it should fit and may not be an issue, but if not then, drilling will have to be done.

Strobes always work best in the headlamp enclosure and not outside. It is the entire reflection of the strobe against the reflectors of the headlamp housing that causes the dramatic effect. Keeping it outside, may even render it not being so bling.

Anyways, if you do decide to drill the parking lamp slot, ensure that you never intend to go back and install the parking bulb again, as you may not be able to fix it. So, once done, it is done. Then, second issue is to ensure that the new wider hole created, should be sort of water proof etc, to prevent water entering during cleaning / flooding etc, else you can end up in some serious trouble.

An alternate method is to drill an additional hole, thereby retaining the parking lamps as well. It is quite advisable to retain parking lamps. Also, install a separate switch for the strobes, as several times, they say they will wire it to the parking lamp switch will be a nuisance. It will have no interference to your highbeams, etc as it can be run independent with the battery

Another solution what you can do is, to find a casing, probably turn indicators of some motorcycle, or probably install fog lamps, the rectangle type, remove the bulbs and then drill / poke whatever and install your strobes. You can then install the new housing at the place you so desire and voila, problem solved. No tension of drilling your housing, removing parking bulbs nothing. I had done this arrangement with my earlier car, when I realized I was not keen on loosing the pilot lamps.

My advice is to go for the last option. Save trouble and you can always remove it if not required
Old 12th May 2010, 11:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

i love strobes / underbody neons - but i will never use them in my cars.

It will be better if you keep it stock because a black vRS looks lethal without any fancy mods.
Old 12th May 2010, 12:50   #8
BHPian

@dreamcatcher:Thanx man for the extensive advice.I do see your point of not drilling/messing with the headlamp housing.If it is a direct fit into the parking light slot, rest assured I'm going to go with that.However, if it isn't I'll have to drill the hole for the parklight a lil larger.The last option suggested by you is a practical D-I-Y, BUT I'm not sure if the clear lens reflectors(lets say if i go with the Pulsar's indicators) would give that bling effect.Any inputs on that one??

@planetrocker:I see your point bro.In fact, that is the reason why the car's not gonna get ANY sort of external mods.Not even a sticker.It does look killer with the matte black wheels.The perfect DRAG LOOK, if you please.
BUTTTT...the strobes are for those times when the car is parked stationary basking in all the glory(after whipping some poor soul at the drag)with the sunroof slightly tilted up and your fav gal is secretly peering from her bedroom window admiring your ride(n in case you catch her stare, she'll put on that expression of disgust)

cheers

Last edited by octane1002 : 12th May 2010 at 12:58.
Old 12th May 2010, 12:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
@dreamcatcher:Thanx man for the extensive advice.I do see your point of not drilling/messing with the headlamp housing.If it is a direct fit into the parking light slot, rest assured I'm going to go with that.However, if it isn't I'll have to drill the hole for the parklight a lil larger.The last option suggested by you is a practical D-I-Y, BUT I'm not sure if the clear lens reflectors(lets say if i go with the Pulsar's indicators) would give that bling effect.Any inputs on that one??
if the drilling is not done right moisture and dirt could get into the headlights and then the only option would be to replace the full thing. then your looking at atleast 40k.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:15   #10
BHPian

@akshay1234:Man you're scaring me.I'm praying and praying hard that the strobes are a direct fit on the parking light slot.Not keen on drilling.I beleive there is a silicone gel that seals all such stuff.Thats what the modders in US do.But the execution has to be perfect.We can't expect the same level of finesse her in India.Much less, Kolkata.In that case, I'll have to go with Dreamcatcher's last option.But, then would it have the same effect as it would have in the headlamp housing?

OT:Having fun burnin down the roads with the V6?
Old 12th May 2010, 13:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@akshay1234:Man you're scaring me.

OT:Having fun burnin down the roads with the V6?
haha maybe scaring, but better to be safe than sorry.

heres another idea. why not forget the strobes and get those LED strips from streetglow. you can put them on your lower grill below the headlights and it will look kickass. like the new e class' fogs.

SGLFLWH

oh yeah, the v6 is pure fun. couldnt ask for a better daily driver. the top end is now as wild as the mid range after installing the k&n typhoon.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@planetrocker:I see your point bro.In fact, that is the reason why the car's not gonna get ANY sort of external mods.Not even a sticker.It does look killer with the matte black wheels.The perfect DRAG LOOK, if you please.
Great! Where do you stay in Kolkata?

Quote:
BUTTTT...the strobes are for those times when the car is parked stationary basking in all the glory(after whipping some poor soul at the drag)with the sunroof slightly tilted up and your fav gal is secretly peering from her bedroom window admiring your ride(n in case you catch her stare, she'll put on that expression of disgust)
cheers
I had a 18 year old Padmini for my gal to check out - the car didnot have a sunroof but had a LOUD Free Flow Exhaust requesting her to secrectly peer from her bedroom window. Most Important point: I always got whipped at a traffic light to traffic light run by auto rickshaws and sometimes cyclists.

Jokes apart: don't mess with the head lamp cluster - instead fix the strobes behind the grills / just below the front bumper (at extreme corners)
Old 12th May 2010, 13:32   #13
BHPian

@akshay:I was initially considering them.However, one visit to briskoda convinced me otherwise.These LED strips do suit most cars.Sadly, the RS isn't one of them.It completely buggers up those beautiful wire mesh vents in that sports bumper as the pictures of an RS installed with these suggest.
Plus, when it comes to that bling effect, nothing comes close to the strobe kit from StreetGlow.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post

I had a 18 year old Padmini for my gal to check out - the car didnot have a sunroof but had a LOUD Free Flow Exhaust requesting her to secrectly peer from her bedroom window. Most Important point: I always got whipped at a traffic light to traffic light run by auto rickshaws and sometimes cyclists.

Jokes apart: don't mess with the head lamp cluster - instead fix the strobes behind the grills / just below the front bumper (at extreme corners)
Hilarious man. PM sent.
In that case, I'll have to put the strobe bulbs in a small housing as dreamcatcher suggested right?Also would'nt jerks be loosen the mounting?

@ all:Alternately, can these strobes be fitted just behind the skoda grill between the front light assembly(at the eextreme coerners of course)?That ways, possibility of theft are also ruled out.What about it?
Old 12th May 2010, 14:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Won't the stroble lights cause distraction and annoyance to everyone else on the road?
Much like blasting the music and rolling the windows down - atleast in that case if your (you are not in the car) preferred track is playing - you won't get annoyed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks