Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 13:01   #1

Help with restoring an 800

Note to the Moderators: This is my second post, trying to abide by the forum’s guidelines, hope this thread isn’t deleted too. Let me clarify that I have created a new thread as I am unable to find all the details I require in older posts, most of the restorations include K&N’s and fancy mod jobs which do not apply to my restoration.

Background: I need to purchase a car ASAP as I have been asked to stop riding after a recent accident where my knee suffered significant damage. The car I aspire to buy is a Swift VDI; however I am not in a position to buy this right now due to other financial commitments. I am planning on buying the Swift in Jan 2011. Till then I need a run about car which is easy and cheap to maintain, run and purchase.
The obvious choice is a Maruti 800. Now since I’m new to four wheelers I was wondering what the upkeep costs of an 800 would be like for a well maintained vehicle, my daily running is about 30kms at the minimum.
Once I purchase the Swift, the 800 will be kept as a second car, and will barely gather any miles on the odo, will the maintenance for an unused car be more or less than one that is being used everyday?

Costs involved:
Lastly it would be great if anyone could help me out with the costs involved with the following expenses:
Second hand 800 (any year, any make, reasonably ok condition, Mumbai registered:
Engine and gearbox overhaul:
AC overhaul:
Paint job (non metallic):
New tires:
New battery:
New lights (HL, TL, and SLs):
Consumables (oil filters, air filters, brake pads etc):
Upholstery (seat covers etc):
Anything else I might need to change which I have missed out in my list.

Regarding the restoration
Basically to simplify my requirement, I just need to restore the vehicle to a position where it is reliable, has all its components working well, and looks acceptable. Iv heard that it would cost about 25k, how true is this?

Also if anyone knows a good mechanic who won’t take me for a ride in the Malad / Goregaon area, I would be highly grateful for any recommendations. Suggestions on how to source a vehicle are also welcome. I was considering TrueValue but have changed my mind after reading a couple of threads on the forum.

Thanks for taking the time out to read/reply.

Cheers!
Dave
Old 12th May 2010, 21:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi David,

Have you considered the Maruti Alto at all? Its a bit of a step up from the M800 and you might find one in newer/better condition more easily - saving you some repair work and downtime.

If you mention the overall budget you have, perhaps members would be able to suggest the best option.

cya
R
Old 12th May 2010, 21:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

First question, how much are you ready to spent till you buy the new car in 2011?
Old 12th May 2010, 22:04   #4
BHPian

We had an omni van restored(vehical is almost 20 years old, first time restoration!) about 4 years back, cost around 35k, for a full rebuild and new paint from a workshop in Khar, you get what you pay for, rust is showing again on the a pillars and the boot lid, but the car runs pretty well considering i loathe driving it, mechanically an 800 is cheap to maintain, with bodywork restoration you pay your money and make your choice.
It would probably be cheaper to use rickshaws/cabs fro the interim, it's only 7 months and atleast in bombay they use their meters!

Last edited by stefanm : 12th May 2010 at 22:08.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:36   #5

Hey guys, thanks a ton for your responses, im planning out my finances in such a way that i can get the Swift VDi by end of June

I have spent the last few days, and nights trolling the forum gorging on any information i could come across on the Swift, and overall i must say i am happy with the feedback people have provided.

If anyone can point me towards any threads where i could get any information at all, that would be great. I have seen most of the threads, but just incase iv missed something substancial.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks