Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 23:44   #46
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocreative View Post
@abk... so no adjustments need to be done?
jocreative, attaching a pdf file on HID headlight beam alignment / adjustment. Please see the last page (the yellow beam boundaries) to verify that your beam pattern is indeed as it should be. The trapezoidal nature of the beam (as opposed to straight horizontal beam boundary) of each of the headlight is as per design. It ensures most all round illumination of the road with as less light on the oncoming vehicles.

Also, please bear in mind the driver's side headlight is designed to have a short but wide beam whilst the co-driver's side headlight beam is designed to have a longer throw but shorter in width.

You can adjust the beam vertically (levelling) and horizontally (see the attached doc) but the beam pattern appears to be correct.

Wish you safe driving & hope you'd be considerate not to blind oncoming vehicles
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Car headlight beam adjustment.pdf (32.7 KB, 877 views)
Old 14th May 2010, 01:54   #47
BHPian

More pics - Toyota Altis Angel Eyes Projector CCFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You're a trend setter I must say. The thing is that Altis owners hardly discuss their cars compared with the Civic chaps who go on and on and on, some in dedicated threads, about mods, ICE and maintenance tips, hacks, blah blah blah. They're such an enthusiastic lot!
So I really wonder - are the Corolla/Corolla Altis/Camry so boring to discuss or are the owners, or both? Seeing this thread made me happy and I thought to myself "Here's one chap who is enthusiastic about his Altis"
I know what you mean. I think its mainly because of Corolla and Camry being deemed as a passenger car than a drivers car... so the crowd owning a corolla or camry are more of the sit back types than the creative enthu ones
I like my car (other than the hiccups I get once in a while)...and I plan to make the most of it

Thats right... in your face Civic Modders!!! **Throws fist up in the air**

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
On a more serious note - Just keep in mind the stock HID bulb is a D2R i.e. meant to be fitted in a reflector housing, which is what the 'R' stands for. I think you used them in the new headlamps? Normally projector headlamp assemblies come with D2S bulbs. Is that the cause of the rather v shaped light beam?
Cheers!
I have to look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
jocreative, attaching a pdf file on HID headlight beam alignment / adjustment. Please see the last page (the yellow beam boundaries) to verify that your beam pattern is indeed as it should be. The trapezoidal nature of the beam (as opposed to straight horizontal beam boundary) of each of the headlight is as per design. It ensures most all round illumination of the road with as less light on the oncoming vehicles.
Also, please bear in mind the driver's side headlight is designed to have a short but wide beam whilst the co-driver's side headlight beam is designed to have a longer throw but shorter in width.
You can adjust the beam vertically (levelling) and horizontally (see the attached doc) but the beam pattern appears to be correct.
Wish you safe driving & hope you'd be considerate not to blind oncoming vehicles
Wow...this is what I needed. I have been looking all over for some relevant information and found very little. This PDF sheds some more light on my lights =) They do say that the left Edge of the V should be laying on a horizontal line and the right edge should be pointing upwards. I think mine both are pointing upwards. I will have to check again.

Here are some more wicked pics of the rings in action. droooool.... =)
It was really tough trying to decide how these looked like before I bought them because I could not find any pics online of an Altis modded with projector lights and Halos...so here you go all future Altis modders... these are for you too!
Attached Thumbnails
Modded Toyota Corolla Altis- Projector CCFL Angel Eyes, Spoilers, Side Visor-dsc03392.jpg  

Modded Toyota Corolla Altis- Projector CCFL Angel Eyes, Spoilers, Side Visor-dsc03394.jpg  

Modded Toyota Corolla Altis- Projector CCFL Angel Eyes, Spoilers, Side Visor-dsc03395.jpg  

Modded Toyota Corolla Altis- Projector CCFL Angel Eyes, Spoilers, Side Visor-dsc03398.jpg  

Modded Toyota Corolla Altis- Projector CCFL Angel Eyes, Spoilers, Side Visor-dsc03400.jpg  

Modded Toyota Corolla Altis- Projector CCFL Angel Eyes, Spoilers, Side Visor-dsc03402.jpg  

jocreative is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2010, 09:01   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know what you mean. I think its mainly because of Corolla and Camry being deemed as a passenger car than a drivers car... so the crowd owning a corolla or camry are more of the sit back types than the creative enthu ones
I like my car (other than the hiccups I get once in a while)...and I plan to make the most of it

Thats right... in your face Civic Modders!!! **Throws fist up in the air**
Your car looks even hotter with the angel eyes switched on at night. Never thought the staid Altis could look mean but it does. Superb! Drool! I love em!

I am a little uneasy about Ebay products. I hope the assembly survives the soon to arrive Kerala rains. That and resistance to UV ray induced yellowing will be the true test of quality.

Do check if the HID bulb makes a difference. New D2S bulbs will set you back quite a bit.

Hey how about Corolla/Corolla Altis owners (there are quite a few on TBHP) starting a thread to discuss/debate mods, maintenance and tips?

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2010, 09:31   #49
BHPian

Hey jocreative, car looks too good, the lights look awesome. She looks toooo gorgeous in black.. Change the rims to 17" and go for some low profile tires.

Happy Flaunting and drive safe..
Old 14th May 2010, 10:28   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome pics Jo.. How about a video now?
Old 14th May 2010, 11:35   #51
BHPian

@R2D2 - Yeh I came across a whole forum against non-ebay debaters and them howling against their products. Technically speaking, eBay is not the company selling us the product but it just houses gazzillion different companies of various experiences and reputation score. However, it could be true that some may be creating cheap products and the casings may not last long as compared to a stock light, and thats probably why they are available at a lesser rate. But these are as good as any product you get in your local accessory shop too. Just that you would not know where they come from.

The dealer had some FAQs on the same product, and they did say that moisture will build up inside due to condensing and cooling of air etc. I found that hard to believe, and that is probably why the glasses would tend to yellow up eventually.

Thanks Pr_007 and Naveen for your comments. Video to follow soon.
In these pics it looks like the ring has a bit of fade gradient towards the center, but thats just the camera adding some extra thickness or blur or shine from the exposure. Probably a video might help capture the true light
Old 14th May 2010, 11:55   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Jo:

That's true. Kindly have a look at my car. The camera indeed adds that extra thickness.

Old 14th May 2010, 14:11   #53
BHPian

Looking Good Navin, How long have you had those projectors? Any problems so far?
Old 14th May 2010, 14:51   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looking Good Navin, How long have you had those projectors? Any problems so far?
Jo:

It's been almost 6 months and absolutely no problems so far. Although not that great a performer on highways, it's sufficient for city drive. Planning to install HIDs in fog lamps so as to make the light output even better.

BTW, what's the color temp that you have for your headlights? I use 4300k
Old 14th May 2010, 19:15   #55
BHPian

Awsome mod done !! Those projectors look really gorgeous and is making the car hotter. The car is begging for some decent skirts. You can try the Corolla Altis company fitted kit. It looks good on the Altis and does not affect the GC. As far as the tail lights are concerned, why don't you try to source some smoked LED tails lights. I am sure that they will make the car an ultimate headturner.
Old 14th May 2010, 19:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Jo:
It's been almost 6 months and absolutely no problems so far. Although not that great a performer on highways, it's sufficient for city drive. Planning to install HIDs in fog lamps so as to make the light output even better.
BTW, what's the color temp that you have for your headlights? I use 4300k
I haven't checked yet. I will let you know tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Awsome mod done !! Those projectors look really gorgeous and is making the car hotter. The car is begging for some decent skirts. You can try the Corolla Altis company fitted kit. It looks good on the Altis and does not affect the GC. As far as the tail lights are concerned, why don't you try to source some smoked LED tails lights. I am sure that they will make the car an ultimate headturner.
Thanks Repsol (cool name btw). I did ask them the Toyota dealers about the skirts at one point of time, I think they said that its not available anymore because those came out with the Limited Sports edition. But you figure they should be having spares or manufacturing power in case some of the Sports Edition owners would need them. I will check with them again and see what they say. I have noticed that the GC on that too is pretty much the same as stock, so that is definitely a plus point.
Old 14th May 2010, 20:35   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@R2D2 - But these are as good as any product you get in your local accessory shop too. Just that you would not know where they come from.
Great! Let us know how they perform on the highways at night. This is a critical thing unless you hardly drive after dark.

The so called mods or post show-room bits in my car:

a) Iridium plugs - Denso/Toyota VK16
b) JVC 810, BT add on, with Infiniti amp and Reference rear 6x9 speakers, front are 6" Infiniti components.
c) Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 API SM/CF engine oil (I love it)
d) Philips +30 9005 65w hi beam bulbs
e) Michelin Primacy LC stock size tyres
f) Last but not the least - TBHP stickers on the rear windshield and number plates.

Regards,
Old 14th May 2010, 23:49   #58
BHPian

@R2D2 - Will definitely let you know about the light output on highways. I travel long distance at night most of the weekends. Will check it out then.

More updates on the lights - Still researching on how they need to be focused.

(Disclaimer kept- I am in the learning stage so if anything sounds silly or wrong feel free to correct me on it)

So I finally understand what \__\__ and __/__/ means (or what I think it means). We have RHD here in India, so the V shaped pattern that I have mentioned in the earlier posts should look like \__\__ meaning its OK for the upper edge of the V to be standing tilted, but the lower edge needs to be horizontal and almost the height of the light from the ground to its object center. The references online were mostly for LHD (ex: US cars) so the cutoff pattern were mostly __/__/ but their flat edge is beautifully horizontal. I guess thats what I have to do to make these finely tuned.

Attached is an image found through google with the __/__/ pattern but not as focused.
Attached Thumbnails
Modded Toyota Corolla Altis- Projector CCFL Angel Eyes, Spoilers, Side Visor-hyperlong.jpg  

Old 19th May 2010, 23:29   #59
BHPian

Well I finally got time to Make some videos! Here is the first one that has a quick shakey demo of the 8.5" Panasonic portable DVD player.

I am editting the "Projector Lights in action" video now. Will post it up in a few.
Old 20th May 2010, 03:26   #60
BHPian

What a difference the setup makes to the otherwise plain jane look. This looks aggressive. Kudos!.

The side visors and scratch guard does not go well with the new look of the car and boy, cant wait to see upsized wheels on this!!!.

Will look HOT!

Most Viewed