Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 20:29   #1
BHPian

Modified cars need government's nod

Hi Guys Please check out this article from Rediff. I hope this is not posted before.
Mods Please move the thread in case it does not fall here.

Modified cars need government's nod : Rediff.com Business

I dont why the govt brings in all these rules. Totally useless. Guys your comments on this.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:23   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
I dont why the govt brings in all these rules. Totally useless.
Typical blind bashing of the Government. No offence, but it is WE who are being USELESS by failing to see the logic. Think about it:

- Is a 400 BHP Honda City safe? I've driven one and can confidently tell you it is outright dangerous on the open road.

- The teenager running a high capacity NOS kit in his Zen? Who is responsible if it blows up in the middle of the road?

- I had a free-flow exhaust in my previous car. However, I also accept that the freeflow is more polluting (emissions as well as noise). Guilty as charged.

- Do you seriously think that an Esteem running with jugaad spacers is going to handle as well as a stock car?

- How about a Zen running a 1.6L petrol engine under the hood? Let me assure you that it has NOWHERE the balance of a regular hatchback. Most of these drag-zens are built for straight-line speed, and absolutely suck in handling. One emergency manouveur and it will be plastered on the mountain wall.

All of us enthusiasts love to modify our cars. But lets not point a finger at the government when their proposal is fully justified. If anything, such a move could sweep the tuning market clean of fly by night operators & raise the overall standards of modifications (maybe bring them to OEM grade?). Of course, as things stand today, the government's proposal and the contents of this paragraph remain distant dreams. My point is : "Before you make up your mind, open it"
Old 14th May 2010, 15:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

100% agree with GTO, the body mods in question are those done at cheap shops where they usually put a auto rics soft top on it completly ignoring the change in the structural rigidity of the car, The car will act as a soap dish. I dont wanna remove my cat con so i just put an end can as sound and looks is what i needed.

Pramod
Old 14th May 2010, 21:45   #4
BHPian

A welcome move to ensure all modified cars are road worthy and not a road hazard. I seriously doubt the enforcement part. Wouldn't the pimped ride guys have $$$ to pay as bribe to the evaluators?
Old 14th May 2010, 22:04   #5
BHPian

I am in absolute accordance with GTO. The system sounds superb, but we are not fully ready for it. It has to be a gradual process.

The article mentioned that the plan has to be approved and things like that. The question will be practicality and enforcement. If fully implemented then its going to make the roads safer and cleaner. It will also drastically improve the quality of our mods. It will promote the mod industry and could attract international tuners to india.

Last edited by benzinblut : 14th May 2010 at 22:06.
Old 15th May 2010, 00:03   #6
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2010 at 15:43.
vishnu.csk is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th May 2010, 10:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This is actually a very good move. This will make sure that the mod shops will have genuine stuff and finally the shops will be of international standards. But will this work properly in India? Specially with the gov officials and politicians down south (Kerala). Well, I dont think so. Guess we will have to shell out a very huge $$$ to the officials than for the mods. Let's hope it will be a foolproof system.
Old 15th May 2010, 13:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

i guess and hope that by modified cars they really mean the ones with engine swaps,chopped top ,strecthed chasiss etc and the likes and not simple things like spoilers or alloy wheels or for that matter even FFE.
Old 15th May 2010, 14:03   #9
BHPian

Agree with sumeeth. Its actually the engine tuning, exhaust modification which does not meet with the standards.

Also if this is made compulsory we can see some genuine modification shops coming up in all parts of the country but again only time has to tell how and when its going to be done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks