Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 00:41   #1
BHPian

More power from the Cruze: 466Nm torque.

Those who have crossed the running in period and have the gall to wring out more power from the Chevy Cruze go to this link.
If anyone has the contact details or how to get this in India please post here. 186HP and 466Nm torque should be enough I think.

Chevrolet Cruze Irmscher | Auto Element
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2010, 01:13   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Those who have crossed the running in period and have the gall to wring out more power from the Chevy Cruze go to this link.
If anyone has the contact details or how to get this in India please post here. 186HP and 466Nm torque should be enough I think.

Chevrolet Cruze Irmscher | Auto Element
Well ! You could import one !!! Unlikely they will bring it to India. But who knows Merc is now bringing in AMG tuned vehicles here. But 2300 rpm sounds a trifle high. At what RPM does it redline (in India)?

Quote "Chevrolet and its European tuning partner, Irmscher, have released a tuned version of the Cruze compact sedan in Germany.Badged the Cruze Irmscher Edition, the car has been given subtle cosmetic upgrades, which include an optional boot lid spoiler along with 18-inch alloy wheels shod in beefier 225 sport tyres and aluminum door sills.

Irmscher’s performance modifications include a 25 mm suspension drop and exhaust silencers with elliptical twin exits, along with a 27 kW and 146 N.m boost for the 2,0-litre turbo diesel engine – increasing total output to 139 kW and 466 N.m at 2 300 rpm. According to the tuner, the diesel version accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 8.0 seconds.

The Cruze Irmscher Edition is available for order at Chevrolet’s German dealerships." Unquote

Rgds
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
186HP and 466Nm torque should be enough I think.
The Cruze even in its stock form has 'enough' power! The turbo lag is somewhat intimidating inside the city though!

What is to be seen is the effect this state of tune will have on turbo lag!
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:37   #4
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The Cruze even in its stock form has 'enough' power! The turbo lag is somewhat intimidating inside the city though!

There is a variety of ways to improve driveability such as air intkae improvement, high quality intercooler, reducing the volume between turbo and ports, increasing boost pressure, optimise fueling.
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:31   #5
BHPian

Vane activation plunger.

Quote:

Dear Crazy Driver,
I and another person in Thailand have the Cruze LT without any turbo lag after 1300rpm.
If driving in the city is a problem for you get your ECU tuned such that the primary vanes of the VGT is deactivated only after 1700rpm. I guarantee you that after this adjustment driving in the city with the Cruze will be a breeze. You need not touch the accelerator pedal up to 45 kmph in the city. Changing gears is all thats required to keep up with traffic. Clutch is still hard on my Cruze though. You will have seamless torque delivery from 1300rpm to about 3500rpm.
For inner workings I leave it to CPH to do the explaining as he is better qualified to do the same. All I can say is that the vanes in the turbo are some times vacuum controlled through a plunger lever but in the Cruze its electronically controlled and can be easily adjusted by the factory programme.
Old 24th May 2010, 09:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
There is a variety of ways to improve driveability such as air intkae improvement, high quality intercooler, reducing the volume between turbo and ports, increasing boost pressure, optimise fueling.
I agree, but one doubt. I was under the impression that increasing boost pressure would increase the turbo lag?
Quote:
Dear Crazy Driver,
I and another person in Thailand have the Cruze LT without any turbo lag after 1300rpm.
Just found this thread of yours-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ven-cruze.html

Surprising, really! You have mentioned that a friend has Cruze of a different colour? Does it suffer from turbo lag?
Old 24th May 2010, 23:03   #7
BHPian

Yes it has turbo lag.

Quote:
Surprising, really! You have mentioned that a friend has Cruze of a different colour? Does it suffer from turbo lag?
That friend of mine is the ENT surgeon of Samaritan hospital who bought the slate blue coloured Cruze after consulting with me. His car definitely has turbo lag and behaves like any other Cruze but gives better mileage and has lesser diesel knock. It pulls well only from 1700 to 1800. Mine used to pull from 1400rpm but since I crossed 4500km on the ODO its pulling well from about 1300 or thereabouts. The engine in my car outputs seamless dollops of torque to about 3500rpm without any sudden surge from 1700rpm as seen in other Cruze cars.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 24th May 2010 at 23:08.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:02   #8
BHPian

K&N filter

Just got my Cruze fitted with the K&N Filter I imported from the US. Amazing gains ! Haven't measured it but all I can say is that I push to 4x RPM in the third gear and it still keeps going strong !! Noticeable BHP gain !
Old 28th July 2010, 20:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Crazy Driver,
If driving in the city is a problem for you get your ECU tuned such that the primary vanes of the VGT is deactivated only after 1700rpm. I guarantee you that after this adjustment driving in the city with the Cruze will be a breeze.
How and where did you get this done? ECU reflash?
Old 9th September 2010, 23:15   #10
BHPian

From the factory.

Sorry for the very very late reply.
The ECU flash is done at the factory itself and all cars released this year have the new ECUMAP.
Probably our batch of cars were test mules for the new map during the last week of December last year. The boost comes on song at about 1280rpm in all cars released this year as far as I know.
Old 6th April 2011, 00:15   #11
BHPian

Re: More power from the Cruze: 466Nm torque.

A small note for all Cruze owners........ The running in period of a Cruze is somewhere between 17000km and 18000km. There are many subjective ways for ascertaining the end of running in period but one sure fire objective method is check for near zero oil consumption every day in the morning. My Cruze used to consume oil in the early days and gradually after the first oil change service at 15000km it showed a decline but continued to consume till about 17000km. After it reached the 17000km to the 18500km it has covered there has been minuscule engine oil consumption. To my eyes the oil level has remained constant after 17000km. So my conclusion is that the engine beds in completely only at this high mileage. That was the objective part and for the subjective part there is a definitive change in engine note after 17000km. I am not suggesting that you have to pussy foot your way around till it crosses 17000km but do check your oil dip stick atleast once every 1000km till your first oil change at 15000km. Keep oil at 3/4th of the maximum mark. I filled about 100ml to 150ml every 2000km at the service center and they did it for free; labour as well as oil. They would have put in about 1 to 1.3 liters of engine oil before the first service. Frankly I was a bit worried but now I have heaved a sigh of relief as all is well except for a niggling problem which is a design fault in all Cruze cars manufactured in the world. I will explain about it after giving them some more time for R&D. They are working on it in Korea as well but have not found a solution as yet. Hint: A small thud from the front suspension when going over 1 inch high bumps at an angle such that both the front wheels meet the hump at minutely different times.

The Front Brake caliper assembly chatter on rough roads that plagues all Cruze models is rectified by replacing the caliper assembly which they did free for me. Present day Cruze delivered from this month on comes with the modified Brake caliper and pin. There was a mismatch between the brake caliper pins outer diameter and the inner diameter of the brake caliper hole.

To check for it turn your front wheel out completely such that you can see and hold the brake bleeder nipple. Hold the rubber grommet that covers the nipple and push it back and forth and up and down. If there is free play take it to your dealer and he will change the entire assembly free for you with the new one. Check both front wheels.

Other than this the Cruze will be trouble free for about 1 lakh kilometers after which suspension and clutch will need a complete overhaul which will cost a bomb. Engine will be fine till about 2 lakh kms.

Abroad the present day Cruze and Captiva come with a new 2.2 liter FIAT JTD engine. Its a rumor of which I am not sure.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:36   #12
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Abroad the present day Cruze and Captiva come with a new 2.2 liter FIAT JTD engine. Its a rumor of which I am not sure.
is this the same engine in 163 bhp Cruze?
Old 16th April 2011, 00:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
is this the same engine in 163 bhp Cruze?
Yes thats the engine; but all cars will have to take cover when they launch the 1.6jtd engine in the Punto some time next year which is going to be the one and only successor to the Palio GTX.
2011 vcdi 163hp version - Chevrolet Cruze Forum

Last edited by drpullockaran : 16th April 2011 at 00:09.
Old 16th April 2011, 02:53   #14
BANNED

That is some pretty detailed info about the Cruze Doc. How do get to know all this?
A friend working at GM India?

I too had a question. What is the FE you get from your Cruze after getting rid of that turbo lag and varying the turbo geometry?

Also, is there some safe way of increasing its GC by a an inch or two that you know of?
Old 16th April 2011, 23:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That is some pretty detailed info about the Cruze Doc. How do get to know all this?
A friend working at GM India?

I too had a question. What is the FE you get from your Cruze after getting rid of that turbo lag and varying the turbo geometry?

Also, is there some safe way of increasing its GC by a an inch or two that you know of?
I have been pestering them with my problems which they cannot refute nor do they have the solution as of now regarding the front suspension. Thats why I get some inside info.
Net is a good friend of mine too.

The fuel efficiency is less than what my friend gets but I am very pleased with the mileage as I have no turbo lag compared to him. I get 13.8 to about 14.4 kmpl on congested highway roads of Kerala. I travel 91km daily by the Cruze. I have never checked city mileage as I use the Junkindica for city use. All Cruze cars released after December 2010 should behave just like mine as my batch was probably a test mule with a new software. The engineers at GM deny it outright but do agree mine smokes much more than my friends car. I have not allowed them to meddle with my software as I am very pleased with my cars response compared to my friends car which though ironically is released after mine so my logic of post December delivery cars having the new software does not hold good.

This behavior of more smoke and no turbo lag is seen in one Cruze abroad too.

To increase ground clearance use upsized tires with the same aspect. You will have a bit of a floaty ride though if following this route.
The proper way is to increase the alloy wheel size to 17 and use same aspect ratio tires with increased width if you will. 225 should be the best for the Cruze. A jittery ride and an odometer thats reads less will be your problem that you will have to live with if you keep the aspect at 60.

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Road Test Specs

Please go to page 180 of your users manual before doing anything.

I would suggest 215/60R16 for height and comfort and 225/55R16 for riding on rails feeling.

IF you do not mind a jittery ride then 225/50R17 should be real good.
Please note America gets 18 inchers as stock for their roads.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 16th April 2011 at 23:54.

Most Viewed