Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 12:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
how do you check its balance?

i was not willing to take that risk. if you can or if you want, you can insert a pre paid SIM too.

What balance are we talking about buddy?

Prepaid balance is the easiest to find out. Usually it's *xxx# . It's easier and economical to get a life time prepaid SIM for this application. If it's a postpaid you have to pay rentals every month, even if there is zero usage!
Old 24th May 2010, 12:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

buddy, please understand that your SIM card is inside the black box which is in some hidden/inaccessible area of your car. it is not easily removable from outside. you need to remove the BB, then unscrew four screws to access the SIM.

you cannot dial a number with this SIM being inside the blackbox. the BB has no dialer. it just has a panel on you dashboard with 3 buttons- green & red button like a nokia & a 'PANIC' button. by pressing the green button, the BB will call only the 'registered user' which by the way is me- the person/SIM number who has authority to control or send commands to the BB!

so to type '*xxx#', you will need to remove the SIM & put it in a mobile phone. that again is a difficult task. for those who are willing to do this can opt for a pre-paid card!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 24th May 2010 at 12:38.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi Raj,

When looked from outside, is there some box / switch indicating that This VBB is installed. I mean does this act like a visual deterrent also ?

Please post some pics if possible.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

as i said above, if you opt for the 'ELITE' model, there will be a small panel on your dash or central console having three buttons.

i am purposely not posting any pics, please understand. after an attempt with my car, i have become very paranoid!
Old 24th May 2010, 12:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
buddy, please understand that your SIM card is inside the black box which is in some hidden/inaccessible area of your car. it is not easily removable from outside. you need to remove the BB, then unscrew four screws to access the SIM.

you cannot dial a number with this SIM being inside the blackbox. the BB has no dialer. it just has a panel on you dashboard with 3 buttons- green & red button like a nokia & a 'PANIC' button. the green button will call only the 'registered user' which by the way is me, the person/SIM number who has authority to control or send commands to the BB!
That's fine. I say, just top-up for say 500 bucks? An e-recharge? Say an SMS costs 1 Re, and assume there are no daily rentals (there is none on a lifetime card, generally), you can safely use the card for 500 SMS's and then top up again! Why waste a rental of say 200 bucks or more every month for a postpaid? My 2 cents.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

sure buddy, as i said, those who are willing to do that, can opt for a pre-paid card.

i opted for a post paid as i already had the card which was not being used & i dint want to bother about balance. i feel Rs. 150/month is okay for me if it safeguards my car!

also, MicroVBB recommends a post paid card too. rest is the user's wish.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you cannot dial a number with this SIM being inside the blackbox. the BB has no dialer. it just has a panel on you dashboard with 3 buttons- green & red button like a nokia & a 'PANIC' button. by pressing the green button, the BB will call only the 'registered user' which by the way is me- the person/SIM number who has authority to control or send commands to the BB!
How does one change the registered user mobile number in microvbb, Can it be done by the end user? Also when you press the panic button, to how many numbers can the microvbb unit send a message to/ or make a call during emergencies?

Reasoning is if you're in the car during an emergency calling/smsing to your own mobile number during panic, does not make sense.
Old 24th May 2010, 13:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
How does one change the registered user mobile number in microvbb, Can it be done by the end user?
yes, it can be done by the end user. the registered user has to send a command to the BB with the number of the user to who the control has to be transferred.

Quote:
Also when you press the panic button, to how many numbers can the microvbb unit send a message to/ or make a call during emergencies?
when you press the panic button, SMS & missed call (all alerts are in form of a SMS followed by a missed call) are sent to all the three numbers. only the 'Elite' model has the option of add-on users.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:03   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the review, Raj. This is definitely a first on Team-BHP.

1. What convinced you on the brand? I considered microvbb for my Civic, but eventually settled for Autocop whom I have 10+ years of experience with. The system they installed in my car integrates itself with the OEM remote.

2. What other system options does Microvbb offer?

3. Does it have a siren (triggered by unwanted intrusion)? We've saved many a stereo system thanks to the siren. A siren may prevent theft, the microvbb will help you in recovery. Both are equally important.

4. I do think a pre-paid SIM card makes more sense. Think about it : After the SIM is planted in the microvbb, whats the usage? I mean, its not like the SIM will make calls everyday. Best to charge it for 500 bucks and forget about it. Checking the status once in 6 months should be enough IMO.

5. What is the standard warranty coverage? Any extended plans and if so, pricing of the same?
Old 25th May 2010, 11:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ dadu: yes, i have tested all the features, then & there. i tried the tracking SMS, vehicle immobilizing SMS, i also tried each & every door to see the alerts. it sends a different SMS for every door indicating which door has been opened.
The reason I was suggesting frequent usage was so that in times of need one shouldnt fumble with the keywords to send.

Did you try immobilizing your vehicle while it was driven. You can test it on empty ground, with not more than 10Km/hr speed as if the engine shuts down, you will have a hard steering and lesser braking. Ask someone else to send the SMS from your mobile while you do it, you need to be in control of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

1. What convinced you on the brand? I considered microvbb for my Civic, but eventually settled for Autocop whom I have 10+ years of experience with. The system they installed in my car integrates itself with the OEM remote.
For the love and fear of loosing his Scorpio, this was a close shave.

I suggested him MicroVBB in his theft thread, as I had faith in what it does (having understood it) and had also read about its successes, even when a vehicle was stolen and parked in a mall, the owner was able to track it along with the police. MicroVBB can tell you in which area the vehicle is parked or roaming based on the Cellular Tower information.

Last edited by dadu : 25th May 2010 at 11:13.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:09   #26
Team-BHP Support

If your car does not have any intrusion, but you still want to see its location in term of GPS coordinates is it possible.
I think sudev did consulting for a company which does this. Any time, you login using your username password, and it will show you the cars exact location.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

many people on T-BHP including Dhabar Behram sir recommended me MicroVBB. i enquired a bit with friends here & there & came to the opinion that it is one of the best, safest & recommend brands around.

even before installation, i liked the professional attitude of these fellas.

Quote:
2. What other system options does Microvbb offer?
Eco, the basic model- http://www.microvbb.net/pdf/vbb_economy.pdf

Elite, the middle variant with facility of remotes, add on users & back up battery- http://www.microvbb.net/pdf/vbb_elite.pdf

Navigator, the top end with GPS enabled tracker (the above two are GSM enabled) - http://www.microvbb.net/pdf/vbb_navigator.pdf

apart from car security, they also have mobile security, fleet management & a lot other services.

Quote:
3. Does it have a siren (triggered by unwanted intrusion)? We've saved many a stereo system thanks to the siren. A siren may prevent theft, the microvbb will help you in recovery. Both are equally important.
the siren does not come with the package. but if we buy one, they will easily fit it.

Quote:
4. I do think a pre-paid SIM card makes more sense. Think about it : After the SIM is planted in the microvbb, whats the usage? I mean, its not like the SIM will make calls everyday. Best to charge it for 500 bucks and forget about it. Checking the status once in 6 months should be enough IMO.
as i said, i have become paranoid! dont want to take chances!

Quote:
5. What is the standard warranty coverage? Any extended plans and if so, pricing of the same?
1 year warranty with AMC after that period. sorry, no details available of AMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The reason I was suggesting frequent usage was so that in times of need one shouldnt fumble with the keywords to send.
true. there are just 5-6 commands you need to memorize, others are just for system settings.

Quote:
Did you try immobilizing your vehicle while it was driven. You can test it on empty ground, with not more than 10Km/hr speed as if the engine shuts down, you will have a hard steering and lesser braking. Ask someone else to send the SMS from your mobile while you do it, you need to be in control of the vehicle.
i tested it thrice. as soon as the SMS is sent, the hazard lights blink for 20 seconds & the engine shuts down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If your car does not have any intrusion, but you still want to see its location in term of GPS coordinates is it possible.
I think sudev did consulting for a company which does this. Any time, you login using your username password, and it will show you the cars exact location.
since mine is Elite model & is GSM based, i can send a command & get to know the location of the vehicle, even if there is no intrusion. when there is an intrusion, it automatically sends the vehicle location through an SMS.

exact location through GPS is possible if you opt for 'Navigator'. it also needs GPRS on your phone. you will need to download a JAVA application on your phone. it does not come with remotes or battery back up. due to all these, i preferred the elite.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2010, 11:57   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
if the car has to be towed, the thief has to disengage the handbrake. so he has to open the door. if he does that, i will get an SMS.
Not true. The handbrake can be disengaged without entering/opening doors. That's is how police towing service removes the wrongly parked vehicles.

That said I am surprised that they do not offer "park" command. This is pre-programmed command where is the vehicle is moved more than 50/100 meters from park location it send alarm.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
That said I am surprised that they do not offer "park" command. This is pre-programmed command where is the vehicle is moved more than 50/100 meters from park location it send alarm.
I believe for that they will have to build in motion detection into their device, which inturn will increase their cost. But they can provide this feature as an option.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:34   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i also tried each & every door to see the alerts. it sends a different SMS for every door indicating which door has been opened.
Does your Scorpio model have central locking for the hatch door (5th/dicky door) as well ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks