Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 12:43   #31

Im Glad you took the advice and went for the MicroVBB thing. In the two and a Half years that we used it, we had complete peace of mind.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Not true. The handbrake can be disengaged without entering/opening doors. That's is how police towing service removes the wrongly parked vehicles.

That said I am surprised that they do not offer "park" command. This is pre-programmed command where is the vehicle is moved more than 50/100 meters from park location it send alarm.
in mumbai, i have seen these people inserting a scale between the door & the body & opening the car door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Does your Scorpio model have central locking for the hatch door (5th/dicky door) as well ?
yes, every scorpio has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Im Glad you took the advice and went for the MicroVBB thing. In the two and a Half years that we used it, we had complete peace of mind.
special thanks to you & your dad.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:11   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Not true. The handbrake can be disengaged without entering/opening doors. That's is how police towing service removes the wrongly parked vehicles.
But what if the vehicle is in gear? Well, even gears can be disengaged by using the appropriate tools but then I guess it the VBB should have a shock sensor inbuilt into it.

Else here is the new modus operandi of the thief:

Tow the vehicle after disengaging the parking brake and bringing it into neutral and then work on it at your own leisure/at a place which does not have cell phone signals and other disturbances...
Old 25th May 2010, 17:40   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I believe for that they will have to build in motion detection into their device, which in turn will increase their cost. But they can provide this feature as an option.
Not really. Motion sensors can be very sensitive and even heavy foot fall nearby or a kid leaning against the vehicle will trigger it. Better to use GPS positioning.

Most of the device providers only use SMS signalling and since each SMS is a cost they do not use constant data transfer. The system we had built (and offer) uses constant GPRS signal transfer and so movement from parked position is detected by the servers (which can crunch more data) and alarm signalled. Cost per month is being paid by user in any case and in case of voice locked sim is about Rs100/month.

Other biggest problem is that most of the lower end GPS device come with external antenna and if you cut this wire your black box is useless since now you cannot locate the vehicle. AND none of the device providers signal antenna missing alarms. They do battery signal but a smart thief will not need to cut the battery.

Really good devices are those that have all system built in and have on board battery for signalling for few hours even when battery feed is disconnected.

A good system not only gives you online tracking but also lets you analyse route travelled later. Yesterday I cam from Bhuj to Delhi and this is the track from tracker fitted in my car. red denotes speeds in excess of 100kmph. If you were browsing this online you'd be able to do mouse over the track check time and speed at any location.

Name:  Screenshot3.png
Views: 1041
Size:  128.6 KB

Okay let me check with moderators before they haul me up for infraction for talking about my product.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2010, 01:21   #35
BHPian

Ok so GPS would send you real-time information which is good but they dont have a backup battery...what should you go in for then ?
Old 26th May 2010, 08:44   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

A good system has a built in back up battery.

So in case the car is in "park" mode you'd get a alarm if it is moved beyond, say 100 meters, and the back up battery will continue to give signals for up to a day (depends on the hardware choice) and you can use the location to recover.

With internal antennae and "black box" hidden you have time and chance to recover vehicle till the thieves find and remove the "black box" as it continues to send location fix.

If the thieves first decide to remove the "black box" then you will get alarm the moment battery supply is cut. And since the thieves should be within the park radius at this time you can prevent theft by raising alarm. (You'd have to enlist help of neighbours/watchman if you are not within immediate vicinity or travelling).

With external antennae the moment that wire is cut the GPS is blind and will not be able to give you position when battery cut alarm is received as by this time thieves are far away and are in process of removing the "black box". So modus operandi would be cut antennae, move the car away, cut black box.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2010, 09:55   #37
BANNED

Quote:
A good system has a built in back up battery.

If the thieves first decide to remove the "black box" then you will get alarm the moment battery supply is cut. And since the thieves should be within the park radius at this time you can prevent theft by raising alarm. (You'd have to enlist help of neighbours/watchman if you are not within immediate vicinity or travelling).
Well said Sudev, but the question is, is such a comprehensive system available in India? Is it made by a reputed manufacturer? Is it tested thoroughly? Is there service support for it?
Lastly, is it within the affordable range for a normal consumer like most of us (Say within 10k-15k)?

I could have sent you a PM asking all this but these general questions whose answers I feel will benefit everyone interested.
Old 26th May 2010, 10:13   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well said Sudev, but the question is, is such a comprehensive system available in India? Is it made by a reputed manufacturer? Is it tested thoroughly? Is there service support for it?
Lastly, is it within the affordable range for a normal consumer like most of us (Say within 10k-15k)?
I could have sent you a PM asking all this but these general questions whose answers I feel will benefit everyone interested.
First: AFAIK very few manufacturers offer internal antennae systems. But they are available.

Second: Have tested the system in gruelling conditions including car rallying and some fleet operations.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2010 at 16:09. Reason: Removing pt. 3. We don't permit group buys or commercial offers to our members.
Old 26th May 2010, 10:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Is there someone on Chennai who deals in Micro VBB. I have sent an email to enquiry@microtechnologies.net and am waiting for a response. I am alos planning to fit one on my Santro.
Old 26th May 2010, 10:35   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

A bit indirect some discussion vis vehicle tracking took place here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1905539
Old 26th May 2010, 17:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

THis is very good information Sudev, we now just need to know who provides such devices with built in antennae and battery backup at a reasonable price.
Old 26th May 2010, 17:55   #42
BHPian

I guess they charge somewhere 3000/- p.a. to maintain some webpage for you, where you can track your car in case.
Old 27th May 2010, 13:05   #43

First of all, thanks Raj for posting your ownership experience. This is definitely the first one on T-BHP and I am sure would be useful to everyone.

Lately, I have become paranoid after my roommates car(Delhi registered) was stolen in Bangalore. I have been thinking of this Micro VBB device for quite sometime now but was looking to get some feedback before going for it.

After reading your review, I had almost decided to go for it till Sudev mentioned about the GPS based system with internal antenna & battery backup.

I had few queries regarding the Micro VBB- Navigator. As mentioned, it is GPS based, but does it have the essential features as mentioned by Sudev like internal antenna, battery backup etc ?
Also any idea where in Delhi, can I get Micro VBB installed?

@sam003: You are right, one of my friend got such a device installed in his car from Delhi & he pays around 3K p.a to maintain that tracking webpage. Will get the details from him.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2010 at 16:10. Reason: Removing point on special offers
Old 27th May 2010, 13:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguliani View Post

I had few queries regarding the Micro VBB- Navigator. As mentioned, it is GPS based, but does it have the essential features as mentioned by Sudev like internal antenna, battery backup etc ?
Micro VBB Navigator has battery back up but does need an access to open sky for the antennae. To the best of my knowledge it is a small device placed under the front windscreen. For more details you can contact Micro Vbb dealer Meza-10, contact number 9891971463 in delhi.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st June 2010 at 13:39. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 27th May 2010, 16:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguliani View Post
First of all, thanks Raj for posting your ownership experience. This is definitely the first one on T-BHP and I am sure would be useful to everyone.
you are welcome buddy.

Quote:
since the above mentioned costs involved, i opted for the GSM based model & so i have no idea about navigator. the website does not mention about a battery back up in navigator.

the rest of your query is better answered by -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroThoughts View Post
Micro VBB Navigator has battery back up but does need an access to open sky for the antennae. To the best of my knowledge it is a small device placed under the front windscreen. For more details you can contact Micro Vbb dealer Meza-10, contact number 9891971463 in delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks