Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:11   #1
BHPian

Verna Fog Lights-Need help

Fellow Bhpians,

I need help on my Verna's Fog Lights, They are not well designed and do not provide any use and are just a show stuff , turning them on does not make any difference as they hardly provide any light on the road. One need to get down and walk up to the front to see if they are switched on.

Please suggest replacement bulbs or is there a way to change the reflectors,
I need the Fog Lights to serve their purpose and not to be a show dummy.

I dont want Xenon or bi-xenon as in the rain it does not serve the purpose, nor want to mount additional fog lights like hella or light force on the bumper as it would add more weight on the front.

Need your inputs on the same.
Attached Images

Old 23rd May 2010, 16:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Sajan, try to retro-fit fogs from other vehicles : but you will need to cut the current bumper a bit.

Examples :
Safari / Xylo : vertically larger, but narrower than what you have now
Scorpio : approx same height, but narrower.

Check out the way the OE fogs are mounted right now, and see which fog light units may fit without much fuss. Since your OE lights are not of/in much use, take out one, go to Siddaiah road area (between Lalbagh Rd & Double rd). See if anything comes close to this, buy one and trial fit it.
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sajan, try to retro-fit fogs from other vehicles : but you will need to cut the current bumper a bit.

Examples :
Safari / Xylo : vertically larger, but narrower than what you have now
Scorpio : approx same height, but narrower.

Check out the way the OE fogs are mounted right now, and see which fog light units may fit without much fuss. Since your OE lights are not of/in much use, take out one, go to Siddaiah road area (between Lalbagh Rd & Double rd). See if anything comes close to this, buy one and trial fit it.
Thanks Condor,

Some how i dont want to make any cuts in the bumper trying not to go there unless there is no other go.

Scorpio/Xylo/Ikon have round shapped fog lights. maybe i need to check the old gen ikon's fog's.

Any idea on Ford mondeo's fog lights design???
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

@sajands - I'll be following your thread with interest. I've been looking for alternative lighting options myself, and as far as the fog lamps are concerned, have always drawn a blank. Apparently the design of the Verna fog lamps does not allow more powerful lights to be fitted. The only option is to fit xenons, but no one answers how I can get a projector setup into such a little space.

Best of luck with your project.
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:55   #5
BHPian

Verna fog lights have always been only a showcase, never seen it helping in driving.
One of my friend tried many bulbs, mods, small rectangular lights etc on bumber but the light was not good enough, later he installed 4-5 lights on roof, but it doesn't looks decent but gives satisfactory glow.

Installed lights were fogs from Scorpio or similar..
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:40   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sajands : Some how i dont want to make any cuts in the bumper trying not to go there unless there is no other go.
Tough if you dont want to make cuts or add external lights. Because the other option will then be fog lights that are exactly the same dimensions of your current lights. And you know how good these are currently.

Quote:
sajands : Scorpio/Xylo/Ikon have round shapped fog lights. maybe i need to check the old gen ikon's fog's.
RE-check. Also, you can add Innova's lights to that list.
Old 24th May 2010, 00:55   #7
Muzungu

do you guys actually know the function of Fog Lights?

please use google or yahoo search engines and find out how exactly the fog light work and whats their benefit!

i think there is one topic about fog lights already discussed in Tbhp.

search and read it!

Old 24th May 2010, 03:06   #8
BHPian

Muzungu
if you think one must use Fog lights only during Fogs, you are mistaken, i would say one must use all driving aids which can assist them in driving better and make themselves Safe and make sure the others on Road feel as safe as you would feel.
whether its using fog lights during summers or winters hardly matters.

If you wish you can use your fog lights only in winters, but don't expect everybody to practice any idea which risks on-road safety for everybody who's on road.

just my 2 cents.

Edit : forgot to tell you that you won't be able to drive a verna with stock fog lights for even a mile or two. Its pathetic design for that one of the most critical feature of a car design.

Last edited by ghpk : 24th May 2010 at 03:08.
Old 24th May 2010, 07:14   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@Muzungu, if you have seen what the Verna's fog lights are capable of, you too would have asked the same question that Sajan has. Secondly, the idea here is to get atleast as much illumination from these as one gets from fog lights of other vehicles we see around us.

Also, pls do share the links of threads that you mention about. Would be of much help to all the people who are looking for the answer here.
Old 24th May 2010, 15:22   #10
BHPian

The Only Solution

Hey everyone. Just did a DIY on my Verna's fogs. The stock ones are purely cosmetic and the same goes for the headlight

The design of the reflectors on both is really pathetic. I invested some amount and a lot of time and came up with solutions for both. See pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Verna Fog Lights-Need help-dsc00147.jpg  

Verna Fog Lights-Need help-dsc00146.jpg  

Verna Fog Lights-Need help-dsc00149.jpg  

Verna Fog Lights-Need help-dsc00150.jpg  

Verna Fog Lights-Need help-dsc00148.jpg  

Verna Fog Lights-Need help-dsc00145.jpg  

Old 24th May 2010, 15:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

What are the specifications of the bulbs in the Verna fog? Is it an H11?
Old 24th May 2010, 15:53   #12
BHPian

Those bulbs are H27/881.
Verna Fog Lights-Need help-881.jpg

@sajands: I agree with you. Verna's fogs are all show and no go.

HID xenon kits are available in 3000K. You might want to give them a try? Not available here, but can be sourced from VVME. Xenon light Hid kit Hid light Hid headlights Bulbs Ballasts Car parts

EDIT:
@Hummerrulez: What mods have you done to those fog lamps?

Last edited by live2drive : 24th May 2010 at 15:55.
Old 24th May 2010, 15:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
What are the specifications of the bulbs in the Verna fog? Is it an H11?
The front fogs in the Verna use the 800 series bulbs. Namely the 880 and 881. The stock bulbs are 881.

In my case i used 880 type 3000K HIDs.
Old 24th May 2010, 16:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Those bulbs are H27/881.
Attachment 354262

@sajands: I agree with you. Verna's fogs are all show and no go.

HID xenon kits are available in 3000K. You might want to give them a try? Not available here, but can be sourced from VVME. Xenon light Hid kit Hid light Hid headlights Bulbs Ballasts Car parts

EDIT:
@Hummerrulez: What mods have you done to those fog lamps?
live2drive, but these HID Xenon kits dont serve their purpose in fog and rain. there is no point getting them. Do you know any one who might have Xenon's on their verna's and what's their feedback in rainy conditions and fog/mist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer.Rulez View Post
Hey everyone. Just did a DIY on my Verna's fogs. The stock ones are purely cosmetic and the same goes for the headlight

The design of the reflectors on both is really pathetic. I invested some amount and a lot of time and came up with solutions for both. See pics below:
Hummer.Rulez, WOW!!! your verna looks stunning with the angel lights. How much did that cost you and where did you source them from???

What mods have you done to those fog lamps, do you have detailed pics for the same and how its helping now, rain/fog/mist conditions.

How is the light beam thrown from the reflectors??? sorry for the questions, i just want to know more on the same. need to solve this on my beast.

Last edited by Dippy : 25th May 2010 at 11:31. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 24th May 2010, 16:55   #15
BHPian

I have installed 3000K 35W HIDs in the fogs. Honestly, the difference is not so major but it is a great change from the stock bulbs. I have a spare set of 8000K HIDs which i will interchange and see the difference. 800 series bulb type, namely 880 and 881 fit the front fogs perfectly. I have installed 880 type.

Most Viewed