Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2010, 23:10   #16
BANNED

@Mpower : I believe that to be the reason i.e Esteem type II are ventilated .
Old 30th May 2010, 00:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Fade on the street or track? Is KBX semi-metallic?
Street with spirited driving. They're just about adequate if the vehicle is used as an A->B commuter vehicle.
On the track, I lost them after the out lap on the back straight.
With the EBCs, there was ZERO fade even on the track. But, they didn't last too long with such use.
Old 30th May 2010, 09:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Street with spirited driving. They're just about adequate if the vehicle is used as an A->B commuter vehicle.
On the track, I lost them after the out lap on the back straight.
With the EBCs, there was ZERO fade even on the track. But, they didn't last too long with such use.
I too can vouch for this. KBX pads are much better than TVS-Girling pads, KBX bites hard and fades less. I changed from TVS to KBX in the SS80. Only negative is they don't last as long as TVS-Girling, but KBX is definitely safer for higher speeds.
Old 31st May 2010, 14:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
@siralec : The Esteem type II discs are thicker than Zen's .So the Zen calliper cannot be used on those so the new calliper of Esteem type II are required .
Regarding hubs I believe the PCD of the Discs is different in Esteem to those of Zen's so with type II discs you need Type II hubs.Also note that PCD of wheel/tyre is same though.
Also with these items we need the 13inch rims as 12inches will be small.
This is what i have been told but hope some one can confirm this.
The point being, why do you need to change the whole thing. If you are too optimistic you just need to change just the booster assembly, and its related pipes. Esteem rotor and pistons will just help so much, Its not a Tarox or brembo for the sake of the matter.

BTW brake rotor and hub comes as a single assembly in Maruti vehicles.

Also for the sake of info. PCD of 800, Zen and Esteem are same 114. Infact these three are only the vehicle that i know of that uses this PCD other being Fiats that uses 98. Hence very few choices in alloys.

Last edited by SirAlec : 31st May 2010 at 14:35.
Old 31st May 2010, 20:16   #20
BANNED

@Siralec : The hubs and rotors are different pieces for sure (Infact they are attached together with screws).Also most cars have a PCD of 114 not just these 3.
Also there is huge difference in size of pads of Zen and Esteem i.e there is much larger area for putting pressure on discs (so that we can stop sooner).But i agree with you because i will be going to swap the booster first .If it performs to my needs fine else i will go the whole way.

Regards

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 31st May 2010 at 20:21.
Old 31st May 2010, 22:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Siralec : The hubs and rotors are different pieces for sure (Infact they are attached together with screws).Also most cars have a PCD of 114 not just these 3.
Also there is huge difference in size of pads of Zen and Esteem i.e there is much larger area for putting pressure on discs (so that we can stop sooner).But i agree with you because i will be going to swap the booster first .If it performs to my needs fine else i will go the whole way.

Regards
Rotors and hubs should be different parts. but in case of maruti its not. When you buy you get both attached at factory. I have each and every manual of Maruti vehicle. The part number is given as one only.

Name a few cars that uses 114 PCD (in India that is). Would be happy to expand my knowledge.

I don't know why you are doing such a laborious retro fit, when all you need is a complete brake system overhaul of your car including wheel servicing.

i have driven zen when a friend used to own one. but I never felt any inadequate braking, and we live in hills, where braking is used constantly.
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:09   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i have driven zen when a friend used to own one. but I never felt any inadequate braking, and we live in hills, where braking is used constantly.
Actually you can feel the difference if you compare the brakes of a carb Zen and a MPFI Zen. The brakes of the carb Zen is fine. Don't know what difference they made in the MPFI version but the brakes there, is like mentioned, very inadequate at speeds above 100.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:34   #23
BANNED

@siralec : These are few cars with PCD same as my Zen 114.3mm
Maruti 800, Esteem,Omni, Zen,Sonata, Accord, Innova, Daewoo Matiz, Optra, Qualis , SX4 , Civic etc. There are many cars with this PCD.Other common PCD are 100 etc

Also i drive the Zen everyday i know how incapable it becomes above 100 in brakes .I am only comparing it two booster assisted M800 and Zen brakes are crappy.

Also the Discs and Hubs do come as separate items .Someone can confirm this who has changed only discs .(They don't pay for hubs because they are separate )

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 4th June 2010 at 17:37.
Old 4th June 2010, 18:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIT
Sonata, Accord, Innova, Qualis , SX4 , Civic
These are 5-bolt 114.3 PCD unlike the zen which is 4-bolt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIT
Also i drive the Zen everyday i know how incapable it becomes above 100 in brakes .I am only comparing it two booster assisted M800 and Zen brakes are crappy.
Unlike any other component, there is no justification needed to upgrade brakes as it is your life thats in stake. Go ahead with the upgrade.

Btw, I just happened to drive past a zen which was on jacks and the wheels removed.
I noticed that the rotors are solid discs and not ventilated.
Am I right?
Old 4th June 2010, 20:19   #25
BHPian

Just had time today so went in to spares and had a good look at the parts catalogue,hubs and discs are sold separate.

@nitrous...
yes the rotors are solid not ventilated,just changing the hub,rotor(ventilated type) and calliper has also shown to be effective in improving braking.

I had a massive issue with brakes,somehow after i got the rotors and the drums cut,braking improved but after a couple hundred kilometeres,but its not worth it,they charged me 500 bucks for each disc and 400 for rear drum,if at that point i had to put in sum more cash or cheack the price of new i could have gone straight for new ones.

Kbx booster is also better performer then the other one thats installed in my zen.
Old 5th June 2010, 22:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@siralec : These are few cars with PCD same as my Zen 114.3mm
Maruti 800, Esteem,Omni, Zen,Sonata, Accord, Innova, Daewoo Matiz, Optra, Qualis , SX4 , Civic etc. There are many cars with this PCD.Other common PCD are 100 etc
some of them uses 5 bolts, i guess
Old 6th June 2010, 12:42   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
some of them uses 5 bolts, i guess
On a lighter note your question mentioned only the PCD and also few others are 4 bolt apart from the ones you mentioned also .
Lets come back to the brake discussion now this is sorted.
Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks