Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 13:48   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
No tuner in the world can give you factory-grade reliability.
LOL! Agreed. What I mean is, acceptable reliability where the car doesn't need to go back into the garage every now & then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
True, isint that a task in itself. How many of us get to the right person at the first time?
Its much easier to find a good independent mechanic rather than a pro-grade tuner who can give you an excellent turbo install. I can list out 50 excellent independent Mumbai garages right now, but not a single outlet for a high quality turbo install. Lets not miss the point here & apply some common sense. Remember that a tuner can also be a mechanic, but not vice versa.

Quote:
Does this make it a great city car in bumper to bumper traffic? i agree this was rectified to an extent post 2001 but still.
The later cars (including my 2003) were excellent within the city. Even the earlier ones had a certain amount of jerking, but they were either minimised by using high octane fuel, or by driving around it. I've owned a Vtec for 6 years so do a bit of what I'm talking about when I say the OHC is an EXCELLENT car for the city, but absolutely pathetic on the highway (jerks or no jerks).

Quote:
You are suggesting a car with 7-8 FE to a guy who is planning to get a turbo on a ritz which gives more than 15/liter
Atleast the 7 - 8 kpl car will be fun to drive, fairly reliable and have excellent dynamics. Again, a Ritz is hardly fun to drive, whether with turbo or without.

Quote:
Never, but i have some reliable feedbacks from people
Like I said, drive a Mondeo yourself and witness the excellent dynamics of the car. I don't know who has given you "reliable" feedbacks, but you'd do better in looking up opinions of actual car owners (TeamBHP included) + the many test reports available on the net. In fact, the rich dynamics was one of the highlights of the Mondeo. It is not a "bad handler" by any stretch of imagination. Lets not get into stating against the obvious.

Quote:
, isint mondeo the came car which has a high rear suspension failure due to poor engneering?
Rubbish. Several Mondeos in my circle that have done over 100,000 kms and haven't had any "suspension failure" or displayed signs of "poor engineering".
Old 24th June 2010, 13:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^ Got your point.

Thanks,

Pramod
Old 24th June 2010, 14:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... a mondeo, which is

4. A bad handler.

Quote:

4. Never, but i have some reliable feedbacks from people, isint mondeo the came car which has a high rear suspension failure due to poor engneering?

Looks like your feedback-people are not so reliable after all ...Ford Mondeo, high rear suspension failure and poor engineering should not be in the same sentence together !!!

I dont think it would be fair to question the quality of engineering that went into the Ford Mondeo, easily one of better-engineered cars at that time.

I liked the looks of the Mondeo a lot. In fact, I think it would sell good volumes if they re-launched it with the 1.9 TDi (common-rail) engine (high hopes, eh ?!).

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 24th June 2010 at 14:10.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rubbish. Several Mondeos in my circle that have done over 100,000 kms and haven't had any "suspension failure" or displayed signs of "poor engineering".
The Mondeo does have a rear suspension issue. The entire subframe needed to be replaced if you ran into trouble. This issue is well documented in the UK and I know about it because my relative faced this issue. I bet ajmat knows about it as I find he is usually familiar with British cars.

To the OP: Do your mods in stages. Get a good intake system and an FFE/headers done first. Then get better brakes and tires. Think about a remap after that. Once you have done all that and still want more, think about a turbo. And be mentally prepared for unreliability post turbo install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

Looks like your feedback-people are not so reliable after all ...Ford Mondeo, high rear suspension failure and poor engineering should not be in the same sentence together !!!

I dont think it would be fair to question the quality of engineering that went into the Ford Mondeo, easily one of better-engineered cars at that time.
It did not have have a [b]high/b] suspension failure as Pramod, but it did have niggling issues. Overall, the car was very well designed and engineered. The handling was sublime like in all Fords.

Last edited by Eddy : 24th June 2010 at 14:38. Reason: corrected typo.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
hey, i needed suggestions on putting a turbo on my Ritz Vxi, would it be advisable or not ? ...
My honest advice...please dont do it. It will NOT be worth the effort/cost to turbo it. Enjoy it best as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The Mondeo does have a rear suspension issue. The entire subframe needed to be replaced if you ran into trouble. This issue is well documented in the UK ....
Yes, this did happen in the earlier models (and I think this is restricted to the European market) , but this is not 'high' rate of failure, as in large number of cases being reported. There were some failures only in the earlier models. And it was rectified in the later models.

And this problem was definitely not present in the Indian Mondeos.
Old 14th June 2011, 12:12   #21
BHPian

Re: Turbo for Ritz Vxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Thanks for your replies guy's, really appreciate that, the only reason i wanted to out a turbo on the Ritz is because, i wanted to enjoy the ride not race with it, 2ndly, i already have a Pipercross filter in it and trust me the pickup, the response, on the 1st 2nd and 3rd gear are great, anyone with a Ritz would seriously want to put a Pipercross on that...
I know it give's out the Kseries engine which is new to the market but everything has its pro's and con's at the end of the day, turbo charging this small car would be a little difficult yet manageable but the after response would be lovely... this is just what i feel... :-)
Can you help me with the type of filter you're using, Replacement or Universal? Also, please share some details like model no., price etc as well

Thanks in advance!
Old 14th June 2011, 20:38   #22
BHPian

Re: Turbo for Ritz Vxi

@ S2 - As someone rightly suggested, it may not be impossible to turbo charge your Ritz after all.

If you just want to enjoy the ride instead of pushing it very hard, a good quality build with the right specs should do just fine. Its true that you may face small issues that may need some attention to sort out.

Bottom line - If you have the right parts needed for the build and the right person to do it, maybe you should consider turbo'ing your Ritz.

I did a DIY turbo install on my Baleno (3 yrs back) and M800 (3 months back). Baleno has been very reliable since the time of the build. No serious issues so far. M800 - I still need to wire-in/ install ECU and get the tuning done.

Hope this gives enough confidence boost for you to consider turbo'ing your ride !!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks