Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:54   #1
BHPian

CAI Kit installed in Getz CRDi

Hey Guys,
As the title says, managed to install a cold air induction kit. As you are aware, the Getz CRDi has a pretty cramped engine bay and it seems that installing a CAI would be next to impossible.
It's not straightforward and bolt on but a little bit of customization and you are done.

A few pics after installation,

CAI Kit installed in Getz CRDi-img_3758.jpg

CAI Kit installed in Getz CRDi-img_3760.jpg

CAI Kit installed in Getz CRDi-img_3761.jpg

CAI Kit installed in Getz CRDi-img_3763.jpg

CAI Kit installed in Getz CRDi-img_3765.jpg

CAI Kit installed in Getz CRDi-img_3766.jpg

CAI Kit installed in Getz CRDi-img_3767.jpg

Just finished and got the car back from garage and it's pretty hard to make out the difference in this hours B2B traffic.

Will update with observations once I get to drive a bit more and let the car stretch it's legs.

This is a Cosworth make Cold Air Induction kit originally designed and sold for the Petrol Swift but we customized a bit so that it fits in the Getz. Approx. expenditure including the filter,installation,minor accessories, etc. should be around 7-8k.

Thanks,
Amey
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Amey,

for a "technically challenged" person like me can you please explain the following

What is the need of this CAI ? What if it is not there ?
what is the benefit of this CAI kit ?

thanks,
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
What is the need of this CAI ? What if it is not there ?
what is the benefit of this CAI kit ?
CAI - Cold Air Intake

Cold air = Dense air = More efficient combustion = More power

Again the power gain will be marginal and will not make it "really....!" fast.

By design (or by claim) after market air filters are more "efficient" (Read : less restrictive, cleaner air filtration and all that)
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you can get a SS pipe fabricated according to the bends, go for it. The flexible blue hose pipe is a joke and doesn't belong here.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
If you can get a SS pipe fabricated according to the bends, go for it. The flexible blue hose pipe is a joke and doesn't belong here.
Why Do you think so ?
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Why Do you think so ?
I think Pranav is pointing out Aerodynamic flow.
The path should be as smooth as possible ala polished head.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

What nitrous said. That pipe kills intake velocity.
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
What nitrous said. That pipe kills intake velocity.
Hmm, valid point but will keep it as it is for now. The diameter is pretty large and as it is I don't drive this car daily so taking the pains to fabricate the piping is pointless.
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

So any takes on the performance part? noticable difference or not much to talk about in the low & mid range?
Old 23rd June 2010, 02:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Where does it get the cold air from - is it sucking in from within the engine bay? The stock Getz CRDi comes with a CAI setup that sucks in air from near the radiator - have you improvised on that?
Old 23rd June 2010, 02:42   #11
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Amey : Congrats on the install! Please give us a report on the performance gain if any? And also is there any induction growl??

I get a faint hiss sound at low rpms and a mild non-diesel like roar at high rpms post stock replacement k&N installation!
Old 23rd June 2010, 02:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
CAI - Cold Air Intake

By design (or by claim) after market air filters are more "efficient" (Read : less restrictive, cleaner air filtration and all that)
A CAI is better than an underhood aftermarket air filter.

1] The air intake is usually from outside the car as opposed to somewhere under the hood.
2] They also have an air filter (except for racing purposes), usually the same one as the underhood one, but enclosed and somewhere between the mouth of the intake pipe and the throttle body
3] Colder air from outside will usually eke out a couple of horsepower more than the aftermarket ones which suck in hotter air from under the hood.
4] Location of the intake mouth can be flexible and as per the owner's needs (replacing a headlight, on the bumper, through a vent in the hood, etc) as opposed to fitting something in the confined space within the engine bay.

The only real danger is that of sucking up water, it passing through the filter and causing engine damage. Thoughtful placement of the intake mouth and other accessories can remedy that though.

And congrats btw, completely forgot about that Have fun with the better and cooler air intake.

Last edited by pranavt : 23rd June 2010 at 02:54.
Old 23rd June 2010, 08:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
CAI - Cold Air Intake

Quote:
A CAI is better than an underhood aftermarket air filter.

1] The air intake is usually from outside the car as opposed to somewhere under the hood.
2] They also have an air filter (except for racing purposes), usually the same one as the underhood one, but enclosed and somewhere between the mouth of the intake pipe and the throttle body
3] Colder air from outside will usually eke out a couple of horsepower more than the aftermarket ones which suck in hotter air from under the hood.
4] Location of the intake mouth can be flexible and as per the owner's needs (replacing a headlight, on the bumper, through a vent in the hood, etc) as opposed to fitting something in the confined space within the engine bay.

The only real danger is that of sucking up water, it passing through the filter and causing engine damage. Thoughtful placement of the intake mouth and other accessories can remedy that though.
Thanks yzfrj and pranava for the explanation.

Is there any benchmarking available w.r.t

Cost of having this (7-8K) Vs Extra BHP gained Vs Benefits Vs Disadvantages ?

it could be in quantitative (much easier to understand) or qualitative terms ?
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

hey guys, I was just looking for a thread on CAI for Getz and am I glad I found this one!!

All you experts out here, I have couple of queries since I would be going in for a CAI myself on my Getz 1.3:

1. Which would be an Ideal position to fit the CAI filter as PranavT has pointed, so that it doesn't suck in hot air ?(if not in the engine bay)
2. Post a CAI installation, would changing the End-Can be the next best option or should I go in for a complete FFE ?
3. Most important, is there someone in Bangalore from whom I can get the CAI installed ? I Love Perfection and thrive on Quality. If these 2 are in place, price would not be an issue.

Please Advice.
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:00   #15
CPH
BHPian

I would like to know where Cosworth comes into the original design?

This filter element is nothing special in terms of flow dynamics.

The application will not show you any advantages. To the contrary it will kill you power, which is what Pranavt has picked up correctly.

@ Vik0728 - Air intake temperature is only one aspect to look at. Pipe design is even more important as is the filter mouth and throat.

Every properly aftermarket back box will be an improvement over stock. The rest of the exhaust system needs to be made to certain specifications to have the full benefit. The term FFE unfortunately is badly abused by many people.

To get the best for your money I would suggest a properly designed induction revision, a high quality back box and instead of the rest of the exhaust spend less money for a re-map. If you need some more advise, feel free to pm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks