Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 23:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Thanks Dhanushs,

The Ritz Diesel gives 14.6kmpl, The Ritz Petrol gives 11.8kmpl both in the city cycle as per AutoCar India June 2010.
My CNG powered Ritz is giving a little above 14.9 kilometers per kilo of CNG 100% a/c & 100% city.

Magley, these mileage figures look too low. my Ford IKON's worst mileage figures are 12-13kmpl. I get about 15kmpl average. Also I have many friends owning Ritz diesel, and almost all of them get an average of about atleast 19-20.

And magley, it seems that you have great experience using CNG vehicles. I wish you luck with this one too.
Old 26th June 2010, 00:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Magley, these mileage figures look too low. my Ford IKON's worst mileage figures are 12-13kmpl. I get about 15kmpl average. Also I have many friends owning Ritz diesel, and almost all of them get an average of about atleast 19-20.

And magley, it seems that you have great experience using CNG vehicles. I wish you luck with this one too.

Well you do have a point there sir, since I or anyone in my immediate family has never owned a diesel car ever even my fathers Octavia is petrol powered one. I had to take the figures from AutoCar India.

Cheers
Old 26th June 2010, 00:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Finally, another car in your fleet goes green. Is the performance as of now better than other CNG driven vehicles which you've?
Old 26th June 2010, 00:57   #19
BHPian

first of all, congrats for such a neat setup. not many installers in delhi can do this kind of work. i must say that your hard work to search for the best kit and the best installer has paid off. even i have heard that Mr. Dutt is in the business for more than a decade.
Old 26th June 2010, 01:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Finally, another car in your fleet goes green. Is the performance as of now better than other CNG driven vehicles which you've?

The best part about CNG is that the mileage in the city with 100% a/c has increased from 11-12km per litre of petrol to about 15km per kilo of CNG.

The difference in overall performance is not much, the acceleration has been affected but only slightly. On the contrary the car's idle and power delivery has become smoother.

I think that the above three things are happening due the higher octane rating of CNG.

I still haven't installed the Timing Advancing Processor (TAP), once that is done the performance would be as good as petrol and the mileage will further improve.
Old 26th June 2010, 01:21   #21
BHPian

Is your spare wheel secured properly?

The quality of workmanship is indeed better than average. But is there any mechanism to secure the spare wheel or is it just sitting there? I ask because an unsecured spare wheel could prove fatal in the unfortunate circumstance of a high speed accident.

Quote:
Fouling of plugs is eliminated and plug life is enhanced as CNG does not contain any lead.
Sorry but we moved to unleaded petrol ages ago. Petrol today does not contain lead.
Quote:
CNG enters the engine as gas while petrol comes in as spray or mist which washes down the lubricating oil from the piston ring area to raise the rate of engine depreciation.
Petrol is not injected directly onto the walls of the cylinder. And it vaporises at room temperature - forget about it being in a liquid state inside a running engine.
Old 26th June 2010, 01:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
The quality of workmanship is indeed better than average. But is there any mechanism to secure the spare wheel or is it just sitting there? I ask because an unsecured spare wheel could prove fatal in the unfortunate circumstance of a high speed accident.

Sorry but we moved to unleaded petrol ages ago. Petrol today does not contain lead.

Petrol is not injected directly onto the walls of the cylinder. And it vaporises at room temperature - forget about it being in a liquid state inside a running engine.

The spare wheel is very secure in that position with only about a centimeter or so available for any movement, infact if my car would have been the top end ZXI variant then it would have become quite difficult to put the spare wheel in as it would be wider. To take care of this centimeter of space I have added a piece of cardboard between the gap, have a look:

Maruti Suzuki Ritz  Petrol to CNG conversion-16062010218.jpg

Your point about unleaded petrol is fully accepted, but I am a wee-bit doubtful about the other one.
The source of my information was this page: THE CNG OPTION have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
first of all, congrats for such a neat setup. not many installers in delhi can do this kind of work. i must say that your hard work to search for the best kit and the best installer has paid off. even i have heard that Mr. Dutt is in the business for more than a decade.
Thanks mate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
Dude, what about the engine warranty? It is void now

Yes sir, the engine warranty is gone.

Last edited by maglev : 26th June 2010 at 02:04.
Old 26th June 2010, 03:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The spare wheel is very secure in that position with only about a centimeter or so available for any movement.
You misunderstood me - this is not what I meant by "secure".

In the unfortunate circumstance of a high speed accident, this spare wheel is a deadly projectile. It will move from its position (since it is not tied down to the body of the car anymore) and could rip thru the flimsy parcel tray and hit an occupant in the car. The spare wheel weighs several kilos and will cause grievous injury if it hits a person.

We talk about "safe" cars and then we alter them in such unsafe ways

To be very clear - I am not questioning the safety of installing CNG in the car. I am trying to tell you that passenger safety has been compromised by leaving a heavy object lying around in such a fashion.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 26th June 2010 at 03:29.
CrackedHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2010, 03:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
You misunderstood me - this is not what I meant by "secure".

In the unfortunate circumstance of a high speed accident, this spare wheel is a deadly projectile. It will move from its position (since it is not tied down to the body of the car anymore) and could rip thru the flimsy parcel tray and hit an occupant in the car. The spare wheel weighs several kilos and will cause grievous injury if it hits a person.

We talk about "safe" cars and then we alter them in such unsafe ways

To be very clear - I am not questioning the safety of installing CNG in the car. I am trying to tell you that passenger safety has been compromised by leaving a heavy object lying around in such a fashion.

Point taken I'll find out if something can be done so as to secure it, I remember seeing a WagonR at MASS. Whose spare wheel was secured by welding an additional angle bar onto the CNG cylinder's stand so as to secure the spare wheel.
Old 26th June 2010, 04:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Good to see a Eco friendly car, now with the recent petrol price hike it makes much more economics sense to go for CNG.

I hope the dealer has not cut corners during installation. Safety comes first while riding a gas fuel car. Do secure that spare tyre, its not secured safely, Cardboard pieces are not a solution.

I read somewhere that Maruti is coming up with factory fitted CNG cars soon.

With petrol prices going the freeway, we need better, cheaper, cleaner, economic options. Hope manufacturers take note.
Old 26th June 2010, 07:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

they did a real tidy installation. Just one thing since the battery and the cng vaporizer & fuel filler valve are on the same side, please always ensure there are no loose connection's to cause spark.
Old 27th June 2010, 00:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
they did a real tidy installation. Just one thing since the battery and the cng vaporizer & fuel filler valve are on the same side, please always ensure there are no loose connection's to cause spark.
Thanks for the concern sir, I also was thinking on the same lines during installation therefore made sure that no connection or wire is left unsecure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Good to see a Eco friendly car, now with the recent petrol price hike it makes much more economics sense to go for CNG.

I hope the dealer has not cut corners during installation. Safety comes first while riding a gas fuel car. Do secure that spare tyre, its not secured safely, Cardboard pieces are not a solution.

I read somewhere that Maruti is coming up with factory fitted CNG cars soon.

With petrol prices going the freeway, we need better, cheaper, cleaner, economic options. Hope manufacturers take note.

I am working out ways so as to secure the spare tire. Hopefully a feasible solution would be found soon and yes Maruti is planning to come up with factory fit CNG kits for the Eeco, WagonR, Estillo & Ritz
Old 27th June 2010, 00:10   #28
BHPian

but as per what i auditioned, there is no way the spare tyre can move from the position even incase of any kind of impact. there is not enough space for the tyre to tilt, break through the tray and enter the cabin. and this is no interpretation. i am saying what i saw in his car. imo, there is no need of any angle bar.
Old 27th June 2010, 11:19   #29

I got to meet Maglev and see his Ritz and CNG installation, and all i have to say is the Kit was so marvelously fitted that it made my ritz kit fitting look like a poppycock.

also it was nice meeting both of you guys S.I.N.G.H and Maglev
Old 27th June 2010, 12:17   #30
BHPian

it was great meeting you too. any updates on your old kit? and did the mehta cng order the nitin 60 liter 12kg tank for you?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks