Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 12:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ritz Petrol to CNG conversion

A normal close loop kit is definitley possible and the one which I would recommend.
Old 15th April 2011, 02:21   #92

Wonderful thread and very informative as well, I have a query.
I own a Maruti zen classic (2001), sparingly used(43000K so far), i was thinking about converting to a CNG kit, My queries are as follows:
1) Which are the good Lambda Cng Kits and which is best among them?
2) What is the price in Mumbai?
3) Who is/are the trusted installers in Mumbai?

Thanks
Old 15th April 2011, 19:50   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen View Post
hi maglev
since you have been using CNG vehicles. i had a query,wanted to PM you but couldnt do it don't know how to?
1) I am considering to upgrade my Indica DLG turbo to a pre worshipped SX4 due to budget constrains.
2) My mileage is a bit higher at more than 20k a year and thus would like to convert it to CNG. CNG availability not at a problem on my routes
3) Is a SI kit required for SX4 or the normal kit (closed loop) suffice, don't want to be taken for a ride by the fitters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
A normal close loop kit is definitley possible and the one which I would recommend.

I agree with Deeps, a normal kit is just fine. A friend in my locality has the Tomasetto, Argentina installed in his SX4. The kit should be around 25-26K with lambda, timing advancer, 14kg cylinder and a 1 year warranty.

Just have a look at a few SX4's with CNG to get an idea about the location of various components so as to get a clean install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsupreme View Post
I own a Maruti zen classic (2001), sparingly used(43000K so far), i was thinking about converting to a CNG kit, My queries are as follows:

Thanks

Tomasetto - Argentina, GN Group, Best Prins are some of the better brands.
Tomasetto is the one which is most widely available and has cheap spares.
pricing should be around 25k. Sorry I have no idea about dealers or installers in Bombay.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:00   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsupreme View Post

Thanks
Bharat,
Check out the below thread by Yogesh Nagpal.
He has CNG'ed his 2002 Zen from Mumbai. This thread should clear up your queries as its very detailed and informative.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-review.html
Old 9th May 2011, 11:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the CNG Kit fitted to my 2010 Ritz Lxi from the same installer mentioned in the original post. The installation was carried out on the last Thursday and since then I am enjoying the the benfits of the alternative fuel. The running cost has came down tremendously, just for record 6.5 kg of CNG took me around for 130 kms, which calculates to almost 20 kmpkg, though this high mileage could be result of sparse Sunday traffic.

The only problem which I have experienced/experiencing is the effort required to get the CNG, first you have to stand in long lines and then subsequently low amount of gas which you get. The maximum gas which I have managed to get in one go is 7.5 kg. I hope with passage of time I will learn the tricks which will make the filling process easier and less testing.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 16:22   #96
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Yogesh, I visited Greenglobe at Mulund Shastri Nagar today and talked to Ashish. He gave me a quote of 30000 - only difference was that he said he recommended a kit called Greco from Argentina rather than BRC. He said Greco is better & it costs the same as BRC - any idea about this?

My car is a Swift Petrol.

Few more things he mentioned
- I need to get the gas system checked every 3 months - this is free for the first year, but next year on, I need to pay 150-200 for this.
- He said my sparks have to be changed to NGK (if they aren't already NGK) at the time of installation & it costs around 400 Rs for 4.
- He said I would need to change Air filter every 20000 kms (The Swift's actual schedule is 40000 kms)

Also, have you filled CNG on Mulund (LBS) opp Greenworld - do you know how much line this is there usually.

EDIT : Posted in the wrong thread - wanted to post here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-review.html - Mods please delete my post in the current thread.

Last edited by carboy : 9th May 2011 at 16:25.
Old 20th May 2011, 15:46   #97
Senior - BHPian

@Maglev: Buddy, has your petrol consumption risen due to the timing advancer. I've heard that with an advancer the car consumer about 10% more petrol...thats why I've withheld getting it installed. But now I am contemplating giving it a shot. What say?
Old 21st May 2011, 00:35   #98
BHPian

A timing advancer only changes the ignition timing of the engine when the car is running on CNG, but when the car is running on petrol the module has no role to play. In my opinion it should not affect the mileage on petrol in fact it would lead to an increase in mileage and pickup on the CNG mode as it would enable more efficient combustion. All my CNG cars had the TAP module except the Ritz as it has a computer controlled mechanism which adapts over time. Hope it helps.
Old 21st May 2011, 17:58   #99
Senior - BHPian

@Maglev: I would like to thank you, its because of you and this thread of yours, I didn't require to do any extensive research for getting my Ritz CNGed. Just went to Mr. Sunil and got the fitting done.

Just for recored I went to Meerut on Thursday and my car returned an astonishing fuel efficiency of 21 Km/kg, Mr. Sunil told me that car will be returning around 15-66Km/kg but I am yet to seen anything below than 18, should I be worried?
Old 22nd May 2011, 01:12   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
@Maglev: I would like to thank you, its because of you and this thread of yours, I didn't require to do any extensive research for getting my Ritz CNGed. Just went to Mr. Sunil and got the fitting done.

Just for recored I went to Meerut on Thursday and my car returned an astonishing fuel efficiency of 21 Km/kg, Mr. Sunil told me that car will be returning around 15-66Km/kg but I am yet to seen anything below than 18, should I be worried?

Your welcome buddy, I'm glad my thread was useful to you. So which kit does your Ritz have?? Tomaseto or GNC, and have you installed the TAP module?

Don't worry about the mileage, even my Ritz is giving similar figures. In fact you should be happy about it.

Last edited by maglev : 22nd May 2011 at 01:17.
Old 30th May 2011, 16:56   #101
Senior - BHPian

I experienced slight problem today, In the morning while driving to office I experienced severe loss in power, the car was just not responding to throttle inputs, the engine didn't die but it was not picking up the revs at all. I thought that there is something wrong with CNG system and shifted the car to petrol but the problem persisted, it was really scary. After driving a KM or two I shifted back to CNG and everything was back to normal.

Anyhow, I a planning to pay a visit to installer, as they asked me to get the system checked after 1k kms and I am already past 2 k.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:24   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I experienced slight problem today, In the morning while driving to office I experienced severe loss in power, the car was just not responding to throttle inputs, the engine didn't die but it was not picking up the revs at all. I thought that there is something wrong with CNG system and shifted the car to petrol but the problem persisted, it was really scary. After driving a KM or two I shifted back to CNG and everything was back to normal.

Anyhow, I a planning to pay a visit to installer, as they asked me to get the system checked after 1k kms and I am already past 2 k.

I have faced this very problem myself. I clearly remember the day and date as I had an entrance exam that day near Rohini. I live in Vasant Kunj and this happened near the Moti Bagh flyover. I was getting late and driving myself. I also converted the car to petrol with no success. After driving for a km or two it automatically got sorted out. But luckily it hasn't happened again. Do get it checked and keep us posted.
Old 31st May 2011, 16:10   #103
Senior - BHPian

^^Gave a call in the evening to Mr. Sunil, and described him the issue, though he didn't tell me the reason but told me the remedy anyhow, that in such case I should turn the ignition off and then start the engine again. Anyhow I paid him a visit today as apart from the this there was slight inconsistency in the idling too and after checking the system, I was told to get a new filter, which I am getting immediately.
Old 4th June 2011, 14:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Got the MGP filter, but the problem with idling not only remained it got worse with passage of time. I paid a visit to the installer and one of the technician adjusted the AFR, everything went to normal again, but it was temporary in nature. The problem resurfaced again, today again I visited them and manage to got hold of Mr. Sunil. who himself look into the matter and did some adjustment with the help of an OBD. The problem has gone for now and I hoping it won't return as this small niggle is marring an overall good experience.
Old 15th November 2011, 15:39   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Hello Maglev,

Thank you for the thread. it was very useful. I have a Chevrolet spark 2008 model, had a conversation with some fellow BHpians aho got their chevy CNGed and decided to go for it.

1. I contacted "Tara Dutt Automobiles" that you suggested.
2. He suggested me to go for Romano kit for 27K + 3.5K for RTO registration(which i believe is on a higher side).
3. Consulted my friends who got their cars (Santros, Accents, Balenos) CNGed and they suggested to go for Lovato.
4. You are a happy owner of a GNC kit.
5. Heard Tomasetto is good too, but came across a thread "Fake components in CNG kits" - particularlyjTomasetto kits and was a little, you can say scare, to go for CNG.
6. But contacted Chevy Delaers and they quoted BRC kit for 46K (inc everything)

Have done a research and couldn't get to a decision.
Need yours and if possible other expert BHPians' advices to get me out of this confusion.

Most Viewed