Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2008, 20:47   #31
BHPian

Wow

Suddenly so many threads coming up about the Uno.
I got reminded of the days when we owned one!

It was really a great car, boot space better then most so called 'premium large' hatches available today and really great stability and ride quality.

If it weren't for the FIAT after sales and slightly underpowered engine, wouldn't have sold it by now :(
Old 17th August 2008, 18:41   #32
BHPian

I'll second that. It indeed is a great car.
The most interesting tit-bit i heard about the Uno was that it can be revved to whatever RPM. The FIRE 1.0 45bhp engine has no redline on the RPM. I have not tested this claim but it the FIAT guy I go to in Mysore was quite sure about this fact. I have the Weber carb one and the exhaust noise is truely awesome.
Old 25th October 2008, 11:08   #33

hello urdudesamy,
do still own a Uno the masterpiece? I have one with 1.7 D engine which gives me 22 on highways. good performance.
Old 7th November 2008, 14:44   #34
BHPian

I have the same Webber carb one with a noisy exhaust note. I've been looking to fix an AC Unit into mine. unable to source the original AC Unit though.

This is the 1st car i bought after i began working as it costed me just a lakh in the user car market. The previous owner had bought it in 1997 and had driven just over 28K kms when i got it from him in 2004. It's now done over 70K Kms and runs fine. I have had a fair share of issues with the car. Largely with the electronics. This seems to be an issue in a lot of the fiat cars from back then.

But, I must say this car is really quick. I've managed to reach an indicated 140Kmph in mine car on the way to Chennai from Bangalore. It's really performed well. I did get about 18Kmpl on that trip on the highway. But, within B'lore city i get just about 11 or 12.

Cheers

Sharan
Old 19th November 2008, 12:58   #35

Hey Sharan, I too am very reluctant to part with my UNO diesel. Can you please advice me how to get rid of the noise it makes. I have seen a few less noiser cars.
Old 12th January 2009, 12:19   #36
BHPian

Benhur,

when u mean noise - are you refering to the engine noise or are you refering to the rhythm of the exhaust note.

do correct me if i am wrong, there is almost no distinguishable exhaust note in the diesel uno, if you are refering to the engine noise well you just that to live with the perils of a diesel engine.

you could consider using a foam board on the inside to reduce NVH Levels. this is surely effective as i have heard from another bhpian who owns a contessa in bangalore. i even saw the car and realised that he has cut down the NVH levels significantly.

cheers

Sharan
Old 19th January 2009, 12:50   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
Benhur,

when u mean noise - are you refering to the engine noise or are you refering to the rhythm of the exhaust note.

do correct me if i am wrong, there is almost no distinguishable exhaust note in the diesel uno, if you are refering to the engine noise well you just that to live with the perils of a diesel engine.

you could consider using a foam board on the inside to reduce NVH Levels. this is surely effective as i have heard from another bhpian who owns a contessa in bangalore. i even saw the car and realised that he has cut down the NVH levels significantly.

cheers

Sharan
Hi sharan
I too is so delighted to reduce the engine noise which i belive is native for ordinary Diesel engines, can you please tell me somthing more about this foam board which i think is to be fitted under the bonnet cover, as some models of Unos have this. what material is this, were will we get it at bangalore?
will it catch fire because of the immense heat produced inside the engine bay.
Also can we put rubber beedings around the bonnet cover so that noise won't come outside?
Can you please suggest a good shop at bangalore for buying Uno Diesel original timming belt.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:15   #38
BHPian

gpkmahe,

There is no way to reduce the engine noise. but you can use foam lining inside the car to insulate you from this sound. a good preson to check this would be Miyer (look him up on the forum). Please check with JK Automobiles on JC Road for the Uno Diesel Timing belt.

incase you are unable to do that, drive to Kolimi Motors in Ulsoor and ask him to source it for you, there is a good chance he has some stock as he own an Uno Diesel too. Ph - 25510110 (Kolimi Motors)
Old 9th February 2009, 12:21   #39
BHPian

@ gpkmahe

i enquired from my friend and am told the best work of doing up the foam lining inside the cabin and under the hood is done in coimbatore and will furnish you with the address soon. They normally use one layer of expanded latex rubber followed by one layer of HVAC insulation. this will be done on the doors flooring and roof of the cabin. Apprently this brings down the NVH levels inside the car significantly.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:04   #40
BHPian

I am with the opinion of threadstarter here. I have driven BMW 525i, SAAB 9000 turbo, explorer, skoda 1.9 tdi, swift (dzire and hatch), scorpio, bolero and many others ranging from Maruti 800 to Tata 709 truck extensively.
I also did feel UNO to be a very stable car and absolute fun to drive on hills. It handle better than cars ages younger than her and costing 2 times more than her.
And yes hatch is awesome. I think this is the only hatch sold in india till date where you can load two international suitcases.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:34   #41
BHPian

Re: Fiat UNO

Might seem out of context, but I saw this pristine Uno in France last week. It actually was more silent than the modern hatchbacks prowling here.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat UNO-imgp1082.jpg  

Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 20:16   #42
BHPian

Re: Fiat UNO

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
I'll second that. It indeed is a great car.
The most interesting tit-bit i heard about the Uno was that it can be revved to whatever RPM. The FIRE 1.0 45bhp engine has no redline on the RPM. I have not tested this claim but it the FIAT guy I go to in Mysore was quite sure about this fact. I have the Weber carb one and the exhaust noise is truely awesome.
Please quote me also when you reply as I will get PM.

What do you mean by no Redline ? How can an engine not have a maximum limit ?

If what you say is true then why the car stalls out at 120 kmph ?

Please do reply.
Old 8th October 2011, 13:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars
Please quote me also when you reply as I will get PM.

What do you mean by no Redline ? How can an engine not have a maximum limit ?

If what you say is true then why the car stalls out at 120 kmph ?

Please do reply.
Hi Supercars,

You certainly did pick up an old thread.
I guess what I meant was that it was a very rev happy engine. You could go from 20 to 80 in second gear and not feel the engine straining. I'm sure there must be a rpm limit or max rpm. I hope that answers the query.

I feel so more because of the awesome exhaust note that tended to be throaty and hence the feeling of being in higher rpm than maybe the actual rpm. The indian uno never had a tachometer so really can't substantiate my statements other than feel and the mechanic's statement.
prateekswarup is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed