Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2005, 00:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

My apologies for mentioning Kochi/CBE, bigman. I didnt quite get your location and assumed from JK's postings that you were somewhere down south.

All the best with your conversion.
Old 12th November 2005, 16:33   #17
BHPian

307 Trax/Traveller Noooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
My mechanic friend has done a good number of jeep engine conversions, most of them on 540 chassis with Kaiser bodies.

He says that you can retain 4x4 even if you fit a Isuzu 1.8. The original gearbox needs to be retained for this but he does not recommend this.

He has used various Nissan & Toyota engines in the past mated to the original Toyota gearbox and says that the Toyota engines give the smoothest feel & last very long (typically 2+ lakh km). Prices are in the range of 20 to 25 k (for 1C & 2C) last time I heard (long time ago)

You can consider using the Qualis engine because it has adequate power and parts are readily available. I heard its expensive though (>60k).

Another favorite here is the 307 Trax/Traveller engine mated to the Sierra gearbox. This has the advantage of being cheaply available. The engine is quite refined and smooth though sounding a tad agricultural. The Sierra gearbox as everyone knows is pretty good.

In addition, 5-cylinder Mercedes benz engines are also available and can be fitted with some effort but may be unsuitable for your CJ 340 because it has a short wheelbase.

You could also consider the 1.5 liter Toyota 1N engine; though it may seem underpowered on paper, it is said to be a good match for the Jeep.

Mahindra engines are ok but are neither very smooth nor very refined. The new CL MDI engines are extremely good for off-roading due to their abundant torque, but I think GTO is more qualified to comment on this.
Chap don't go for Trax/traveller... its heavy noicy! You will feel like inside a factory... My CJ has got the same engine and I sold out it for 7K and replaced with a Mahindra DI model cost aroung 20K... its working excellent.......
Old 12th November 2005, 16:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt
Chap don't go for Trax/traveller... its heavy noicy! You will feel like inside a factory... My CJ has got the same engine and I sold out it for 7K and replaced with a Mahindra DI model cost aroung 20K... its working excellent.......
Depends on which Trax/Traveller engine you used. The Trax was originally sold with the lovely OM616 engine, but I think Tempo subsequently sold versions with their version of the OM engines (Old Matador engines) as well.

Get the OM616 if you can. Thats a great, smooth engine.
Old 12th November 2005, 17:41   #19
BHPian

Yup steero! I think it was a OM engine... compared to Mahindra DI, it was too heavy and tall as well....
Old 13th November 2005, 08:24   #20
BHPian

Most popular right now here is the toyota 2c turbo engine.
Old 13th November 2005, 17:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maybe your engine was in bad shape. The ones that my friend has done up are butter smooth (as far as a 20-year old diesel can be).
Old 13th November 2005, 18:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

How the Sumo turbo engine that was shared with the earlier Safari ?
Just a thought ?
Old 17th November 2005, 15:53   #23
BHPian

About the Contessa engines, Isuzu 1.8 is a petrol engine... the diesel one is the Isuzu 2.0.
The 1.8 petrol is about 75BHP and the 2.0 Diesel is around 56BHP.
If you opt for the 2.4 diesel, you get around 78BHP

I think mounting the toyota 2C and the 2L (Qualis engine) would need more modifications than the Isuzu engines. Some mechanics I spoke to recommend the 2CT (turbo) over the 2C.

GTO,
The last time I went for my service to the M&M Sai Service at Borivali, they told me that the Bolero engine could be fitted on the 340... guess they have not actually done it...
Old 17th November 2005, 16:09   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 1.8 petrol is about 75BHP and the 2.0 Diesel is around 56BHP.
Wernt the original carbeuretted ones 88 BHP? How come the power went down when they upgraded to MPFi?

Quote:
The last time I went for my service to the M&M Sai Service at Borivali, they told me that the Bolero engine could be fitted on the 340... guess they have not actually done it...
Well, I guess it is minutely possible but with a LOT of extensive modifications.

GTO
Old 17th November 2005, 16:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Wernt the original carbeuretted ones 88 BHP? How come the power went down when they upgraded to MPFi?
Yes, the initial carbeuretted models that were released in the 80's were 88 BHP.

(My engine was an 88 BHP one... I made the mistake of leaving it with my mechanic after pulling it out, and he sold it for just Rs. 1500/- !!!!)

Because of Fuel Economy, I think they changed the carb being used to improve the economy and consequently dropped the power to 75BHP.

Just checked, the MPFI one delivers 74 HP @ 5000 rpm
http://www.hmambassador.com/iszmpfi.asp
Old 18th November 2005, 01:53   #26

Isuzu 1800 Petrol

As posted on another Thread, I'm also considering an engine swap for a Jeep and I have found the info. here very helpful.

I Have been informed that this unit wil work with a 4x4 Jeep but will require some modifications and the Abassador (Isuzu?) gearbox to go with it.

Whats that gearbox like ?
Does anyone what carb the Isuzu 1800 uses ?
Old 19th November 2005, 14:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen
How the Sumo turbo engine that was shared with the earlier Safari ?
Just a thought ?
Yeah... Turbo Sumo, Turbo Sierra and the first Safari all had the same box.
Old 9th December 2005, 10:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

If you wanna Talk JEEPS then JEEP_THRILLS is the place

Hello JEEPers,
checkout
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jeep_thrills/

This is only about JEEPs & off-roading

some off-roading pics

http://arkapravasphotos.fotopic.net/

Keepin' Jeepin'
Arka
Old 10th December 2005, 10:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

BOLERO ENGINE in a CJ340

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Sorry to miss this earlier, but the 2.5L Bolero engine will not fit. The CJ chassis is too small to accomodate the longer drivetrain parts.

The 1.8 Isuzu engine costs about 7,000 in Bombay (used).

GTO
I would like to mention the Bolero Engine XD3P can easily fit in a CJ3B/CJ340/CLASSIC.
It has the same dimensions as the XD4.9P Pegueot Diesel.

The BA10 G-box is too big for a SWB JEEP.

1.8 Isuzu is a pathetic engine for a JEEP.

for further information
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jeep_thrills/

we talk only JEEPs the REAL ONES
Old 10th December 2005, 11:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to mention the Bolero Engine XD3P can easily fit in a CJ3B/CJ340/CLASSIC.
It has the same dimensions as the XD4.9P Pegueot Diesel.
Correct. Thats why I said the drivetrain parts will not fit.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks