Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2015, 19:26   #46

Re: Civic headlamp improvement

Hi Everyone,

Guys if anyone can help me, I am planning for headlamp upgrade for my 2007 Honda Civic S MT, planning to go the quad setup way, with hella e55 in low beams and mini h1's 6.0 in the high beams with all working as dipper and uppper lamps and on top of it ccfl rings and bmw e-46 shrouds with metallic blackened projectors and red demon eye effect, adding led inside the projector. All this complete with 35 watt ballast and 4300k hid bulb setup. Please advise the pros and cons if any.

What I have figured in terms of pros and cons are as follows:

Pros:
  1. Hella e55 has the best high beam.
  2. Mini h1 has the best low beam.
  3. Combination of both will give good high and low beam output/ spread.
  4. 35 W ballast and bulb setup will be low maintenance and low heat.
Cons:
  1. Hella e55 low beam is ok-ok not inspiring.
  2. Mini h1 gives more foreground lighting, but will be adjusted in few ways to manage this thing better.
  3. Quad setup will be a pain to adjust and fit in the headlight housing and more prone to water/ dust damage.
  4. Its more load for the headlight leveler motor with the quad setup. (Planning not to use the headlight leveler, other than keeping it as 0.)
  5. CCFL though will look cool are prone to failures, have lower life times.
  6. Cutoff for both will be mismatched due to different projector types.
  7. 35w setup will have lesser light intensity.
More suggestions in terms of pros and cons needed, please advise.
Old 15th January 2016, 10:49   #47
BHPian

A quad projector set up is IMHO an overkill, unless you live in a very dark place with absolutely no road lighting. A single pair of good Bixenons should cover most of your needs fantastically. The more clownish your headlights look, the more chance is there for you to get pulled over by police. Good luck.
pamiboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 11:11   #48
BHPian

Quad projector setup is not needed. You have yourself answered your question, 2 actual pros and 7 cons.

I would recommend getting a projector with good high beam (say Hella e55) and adding HIDs to foglamps to supplement the stock low beam. If needed, you can upgrade low beam to NB+. Quad projector setup, with all those bling things that you have planned, will land your Civic into the weird and whacky thread.

And since you will be removing the lens anyway, get bezels blackened which will give the assembly a full projector-ish look even with a single pair of projectors.

Last edited by swift_guy : 15th January 2016 at 11:27.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 12:42   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
A quad projector set up is IMHO an overkill, unless you live in a very dark place with absolutely no road lighting. A single pair of good Bixenons should cover most of your needs fantastically. The more clownish your headlights look, the more chance is there for you to get pulled over by police. Good luck.
Yeah, you are right, but highways might be a pain, anyways the high beam via the stock reflectors will aid the purpose and it can be wired to the projectors on the low beam to activate the solenoid thus enabling high beam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Quad projector setup is not needed. You have yourself answered your question, 2 actual pros and 7 cons.

I would recommend getting a projector with good high beam (say Hella e55) and adding HIDs to foglamps to supplement the stock low beam. If needed, you can upgrade low beam to NB+. Quad projector setup, with all those bling things that you have planned, will land your Civic into the weird and whacky thread.

And since you will be removing the lens anyway, get bezels blackened which will give the assembly a full projector-ish look even with a single pair of projectors.
Yeah weird and whacky it will be if done I agree, so let me put hella e-55 in the low beam's and leave the high beam reflectors as it is and may be use mini h1's in the fog lamps. Any suggestions on the projectors for the fog lamps?

Anyways, thank you guys for the valuable pointers.
Old 19th January 2016, 20:45   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsatpathy View Post
Yeah weird and whacky it will be if done I agree, so let me put hella e-55 in the low beam's and leave the high beam reflectors as it is and may be use mini h1's in the fog lamps. Any suggestions on the projectors for the fog lamps?

Anyways, thank you guys for the valuable pointers.
Projectors for foglamps need to be small to fit in the stock location. For that, you will have to remove the foglamp assembly to measure the diameter and depth. Illumination won't be upto the mark as light will be emitted from a low height. Better is to put HIDs if you wish, as foglamp reflectors are optimised for short length and wide throw. Foglamps illuminate the area closer to the vehicle and will not provide long throw and great visibility improvement (over long distance) even with HIDs. First install projectors in headlight for low beam and then drive a few days and decide if you really need more illumination in short range area more closer to the vehicle. Since you are getting good projectors, I think there would be no need for foglamp upgrade.
Old 13th February 2016, 00:04   #51
BHPian

Civic headlamp improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsatpathy View Post
Yeah, you are right, but highways might be a pain, anyways the high beam via the stock reflectors will aid the purpose and it can be wired to the projectors on the low beam to activate the solenoid thus enabling high beam.

Yeah weird and whacky it will be if done I agree, so let me put hella e-55 in the low beam's and leave the high beam reflectors as it is and may be use mini h1's in the fog lamps. Any suggestions on the projectors for the fog .

Just to remind you that the space on a civic headlamp is kind of limited. So you may not be able to install large projectors without extensive modifications. Have you considered an RX 350 projector with clear lens. It has one of the best low beams and high beams and is one of the most highly regarded retrofit friendly projector. Of course you need a mounting mechanism or use JB weld but that will limit any further changes. You also have to be super careful that the retrofitted projectors and halogen high beams have evenly matched hotspots. You don't want them to be at different levels or else it won't function as a quad light.
If you want to keep modifications to the minimum, then Morimotos (mini D2S) is your best choice. It has good high beam and ok low beam.
You can buy high beam splitters to attach the original high beam connection to solenoid. Also change the original high beam halogen bulb to superbright ones for some extra lighting. That will be sort of a quad high beam and would work reasonably well. Keep in mind that during inclement weather such as heavy rain / fog/ snow, it'll be the slightly yellowish halogen lamps that work better than bright xenons. So a combination of both would be ideal and keep the cops out as well. I'm myself considering one such mod in my car in future.
Don't know of mini H1 will fit in fog lamps. As mentioned in the post above, it may not be really necessary to have xenon projectors in fogs. You can consider the all in one LED units for fog lamp replacement if you want.

Last edited by pamiboy : 13th February 2016 at 00:11.
pamiboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 20:15   #52
BHPian

-- Having gone through this thread I am finding it difficult to make a upgrade choice
-- Have put Phillips xtremevision for the low, I do not see a lot of improvement
-- My requirements 1. Good practical lights preferably <5000k 2. Brighter than oem 3. With least modifications and reliable
-- Are there any good recommendations that fits in?
Old 28th July 2016, 15:28   #53
BHPian

Hello,

I am a resident of Coimbatore and can anyone suggest me the best headlamp modifier in Coimbatore for a Civic with some photos if available. I am actually planning for a used Civic which will go through some very basic mods like headlamps, ICE, roof wraps and spoilers.

I am searching for someone who can do a decent job for a reasonable cost. I have gone through a few threads and found the names of Sun, RM, Classic and Stadium with mixed reviews. As I am finding it difficult to make a choice, I would appreciate if someone from Coimbatore can help me out with this.
Old 28th July 2016, 15:57   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslamjaffer View Post
Hello,

I am a resident of Coimbatore and can anyone suggest me the best headlamp modifier in Coimbatore for a Civic with some photos if available. I am actually planning for a used Civic which will go through some very basic mods like headlamps, ICE, roof wraps and spoilers.

I am searching for someone who can do a decent job for a reasonable cost. I have gone through a few threads and found the names of Sun, RM, Classic and Stadium with mixed reviews. As I am finding it difficult to make a choice, I would appreciate if someone from Coimbatore can help me out with this.

Hi Aslamjaffer, you may try Kitup . I have heard they are good but I have not had any personal experience of getting my car modded by them. Their website has quite a few pictures of cars modded by them.
surgvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 09:36   #55
BHPian

Oh god! How did I miss out on KITUP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgvij View Post
Hi Aslamjaffer, you may try Kitup . I have heard they are good but I have not had any personal experience of getting my car modded by them. Their website has quite a few pictures of cars modded by them.
Thanks a ton surgvij. I have heard about kitup and have also seen some cars modified by them. I have also heard that they are a little expensive and may be that’s the reason I missed out to mention their name.

Anyways I will try visiting them some time for a quote if possible.
Old 29th July 2016, 17:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslamjaffer View Post
Hello,

I have gone through a few threads and found the names of Sun, RM, Classic and Stadium with mixed reviews. As I am finding it difficult to make a choice, I would appreciate if someone from Coimbatore can help me out with this.
Hi Aslam.

For the headlamp improvement like going for projectors and HIDs' I would recommend you to go for RM car decors. They are the best in that.

But for your other needs such as roof wrap and audio, do check classic car decors, the one right next to RM. RM usually charges a bomb for their audio makeover.

And for the spoiler, checkout sun enterprises, their new multi-floor complex near Ramakrishna Hospital. They have some decent collections and can also fabricate custom made once according to your tastes. There are a lot of other fabricators but please avoid them as none of them have positive reviews as long as I know.

Happy Motoring.
Asta_la_vista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 18:22   #57
BHPian

Thank you Asta_la_vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta_la_vista View Post
Hi Aslam.

For the headlamp improvement like going for projectors and HIDs' I would recommend you to go for RM car decors. They are the best in that.

But for your other needs such as roof wrap and audio, do check classic car decors, the one right next to RM. RM usually charges a bomb for their audio makeover.

And for the spoiler, checkout sun enterprises, their new multi-floor complex near Ramakrishna Hospital. They have some decent collections and can also fabricate custom made once according to your tastes. There are a lot of other fabricators but please avoid them as none of them have positive reviews as long as I know.

Happy Motoring.
I will surely take your suggestions. As recommended, I will check with RM and the owner of RM happens to be my best friend’s friend. May be I can get some good discounts.

I should also check the new facility of sun enterprises and try getting a quote from them.
Aslamjaffer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 12:38   #58
BHPian

Hello Folks,

This is what I have finally planned on my Civic for now,

1. 4300 K 35W HID for lower without projectors
2. Some xtremevision stuff regular halogen for upper
3. If needed upgrade the fogs after this

I have got this 4300K kit from Kensun as I saw lot of good reviews on it, I am looking for a reliable installer in Bangalore, I may also need a wiring harness to tap onto the battery directly.
Old 8th December 2019, 11:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

My 2006 Civic headlights have become very foggy. The micro cracks have gone deep inside and cannot be removed by polishing.
I am looking for replacement of entire headlight units, either original or after market. Any suggestions or leads are welcome...
Old 8th December 2019, 11:54   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I am looking for replacement of entire headlight units, either original or after market. Any suggestions or leads are welcome...
Check this link from Boodmo and you can buy them directly too - Left & Right headlights (OEM).

Part Number for headlights (OEM):
Left: 33151SNBE02
Right: 33101SNBE02

Most Viewed