Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 12:16   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
if you try this, the package might get caught by customs and you might have to pay duty. for car parts, the duty amount is around 60% of the cif price. so be careful.

i have ordered 3 units from racechip (2 regular & 1 pro) in the past and never paid duty till now. all were ordered separately. 1 was in my innova (sold the chip), 1 for my 320d and another for a friends A6 3.0TDi.

i have hear that there is a rule that the customs guys go by for couriers and postal packages. if the package weighs 2kgs or more, then they put it aside to claim duty. others are passed as is. this is unofficial info ofcourse.
Your point about bulky packages is spot on. However customs lists the peak duty on auto-parts as 10%. Here is the link for tarrifs for automobiles/parts.

http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst-0910/chap-87.pdf

60% is way too much. Thanks to WTO, except agricultural goods you will rarely find items having duty greater than 20%. Duty rates above 20% are confined largely to luxury/completely finished niche goods. So IMO if we have to pay customs it will be 10%.
Old 12th August 2010, 16:35   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Your point about bulky packages is spot on. However customs lists the peak duty on auto-parts as 10%. Here is the link for tarrifs for automobiles/parts.
http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst-0910/chap-87.pdf
60% is way too much. Thanks to WTO, except agricultural goods you will rarely find items having duty greater than 20%. Duty rates above 20% are confined largely to luxury/completely finished niche goods. So IMO if we have to pay customs it will be 10%.
the customs duty is 25% on the invoice price(incl. transportation). there are other clearing charges(documentation,delivery note etc.)if you receive through UPS.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:00   #48

I think importer will get min 40% off and + Customes 25% and + other costs.So only a importer can get it at much lower cost.
Old 13th August 2010, 23:53   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I ordered an Innova racechip last week for 153 Euros (approx INR 9700 Incl shipping but not customs if any) on their website. Let me see if it comes and will keep everyone posted.

the pre 2009 Laura was PD and the new one is CRDI.
So I got the chip today and paid another INR 1700 for Customs and associated handling charges. Total price - INR 11400 including shipping and customs.
Old 14th August 2010, 09:09   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Buffetan: Which courier/service did they use to send the chip? What was the declared value and customs %.

Please update us after you put in the chip.
Old 15th August 2010, 00:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Buffetan: Which courier/service did they use to send the chip? What was the declared value and customs %.

Please update us after you put in the chip.
It was sent through UPS and the declared value same as the price of 108 euros (I paid 108 for chip + 45 euros for shipping = 153 euros in total)

Will do, right now the problem is that the sensor on the innova common rail seems to be in a difficult to access place and I obviously want to handle it with care. tried unplugging the sensor today so that I could bypass it but could not plug it out. Will try next weekend if possible
Old 16th August 2010, 12:22   #52
BHPian

i hate to burst the bubble of all DIY guys who think they have got a good deal by buying directly/online, but there is a small problem which you all might have overlooked.
when you unplug the common rail, automatically an error code is generated(even if the check engine light on your instrument cluster does not come on).
now, how that creates a problem is, the ECU reads the error code and constantly tries to correct the error by trying to read vehicle drive patterns to arrive at a 'correct' setting. this might in turn make the chip to read differently as well and you might not get your desired output.
when i fixed the racechip and there was no check engine light, i was really thrilled, but someone suggested i get a scanner check before driving out and to my surprise i did find an error code which said problem with fuel pressure sensor. now most times you might get away with the self-install because dealer points rarely plug in the scanner for diagnostics unless necessary or requested, but in case they do, there might be a warranty refusal. that will be quite unpleasant especially for Maruti where turbo or other warranty related failure is quite common.
most chip retailers have multi-brand auto scanners which they use to erase trouble codes before letting the cars out on road.so it is wiser to buy the chip and have it installed at authorised dealer points.
sterlingjames is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2010, 13:39   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

@sterlingjames:

Thanks for the tip.

First off, since you tried a bunch of other upgrades as you have posted, the error code may have been there prior to installing the chip. There is no evidence that the error code was caused the the RaceChip install.

Secondly, the race chip doesn't leave a message in your ECU that says "This guy installed a chip" so provided you remove the chip prior to service, there is no reason to void the warranty. Even if you install from an *authorized* reseller which HCZ is not yet one, the manufacturer can still void the warranty if he finds out that a chip has been installed.

Thirdly, let us assume that what you are saying is *true*, then I suggest DIY folks to just spend a few 100 ruppees and get error codes scanned at a good Independent garage. Or even better, install the RaceChip, then remove it and go to the authorized service center and tell them that the check engine light came on an the went off, can you please check if any error codes have been saved.

RaceChip itself prides itself on the DIY system, so I see this issue as a non-starter to begin with. Guys, any doubt, why don't you call RaceChip and clarify this issue raised by the reseller from Chennai..

James, you have to realize that this forum is for auto enthusiasts. Anthrax scare tactics don't always work. I understand that you need to sell your product. Many folks will surely buy it from you, but there are always the some who won't.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 16th August 2010 at 13:44.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2010, 14:25   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjames View Post
when you unplug the common rail, automatically an error code is generated(even if the check engine light on your instrument cluster does not come on).
Does this happen even when the battery is disconnected prior to Racechip installation/disconnecting the CR connections?

Quote:
Most chip retailers have multi-brand auto scanners which they use to erase trouble codes before letting the cars out on road.
If at all the error code does pop up, can't this be erased/reset using an ELM327 OBD-USB converter (available these days for ~$20) connected to a laptop? My query is...do we really need those Hi-Fi OBD scanners to clear ECU error codes?
Old 16th August 2010, 18:44   #55
BHPian

If you remove the battery terminal the ECU reset, so better to remove the battery terminal and then unplug the connector and connect the RaceChip!

If there is any problem, as suggested by 4x4addict go and tell there was a engine mal function light on for some time, please check the error !

-Pramod
Old 16th August 2010, 23:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i hate to burst the bubble of all DIY guys who think they have got a good deal by buying directly/online, but there is a small problem which you all might have overlooked.
now, how that creates a problem is, the ECU reads the error code and constantly tries to correct the error by trying to read vehicle drive patterns to arrive at a 'correct' setting. this might in turn make the chip to read differently as well and you might not get your desired output.
when i fixed the racechip and there was no check engine light, i was really thrilled, but someone suggested i get a scanner check before driving out and to my surprise i did find an error code which said problem with fuel pressure sensor. now most times you might get away with the self-install because dealer points rarely plug in the scanner for diagnostics unless necessary or requested, but in case they do, there might be a warranty refusal. that will be quite unpleasant especially for Maruti where turbo or other warranty related failure is quite common.
most chip retailers have multi-brand auto scanners which they use to erase trouble codes before letting the cars out on road.so it is wiser to buy the chip and have it installed at authorised dealer points.
Assuming that you talked of scanner but forgot to quote this error code in your race chip post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1869184
Old 17th August 2010, 11:35   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Assuming that you talked of scanner but forgot to quote this error code in your race chip post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1869184
i did not know of this when i had done the initial install. one techie(OBD expert) i happened to meet told me of this and i was sceptical too as there was no check engine light on my instrument cluster when i had done the install. i went by the book and removed battery waited the 27 secs(thats how long it takes for residual current to drain itself out.) before doing the connections.
but now i tried the same thing (remove and refit) and sure enough, the error code was there althought the check engine warning light did not come on.
Old 17th August 2010, 16:31   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@sterlingjames:

RaceChip itself prides itself on the DIY system, so I see this issue as a non-starter to begin with. Guys, any doubt, why don't you call RaceChip and clarify this issue raised by the reseller from Chennai..

James, you have to realize that this forum is for auto enthusiasts. Anthrax scare tactics don't always work. I understand that you need to sell your product. Many folks will surely buy it from you, but there are always the some who won't.
dear 4x4 addict,
the info i post here is entirely my views and experiences and is not endorsed by anyone else incl. racechip.
having said that i want all those on the forum to be aware of such instances so that it can be eliminated. a friend of mine had his installed at the dealer's garage with help from the service manager. i said that it is better to have it installed at an authorised service center. it doesnt have to mean Haute Car Zone!
like you said, the market is huge and i am sure a few direct purchases wouldnt be missed sorely...
Old 28th August 2010, 17:57   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Santa Came Early This year

Santa came early this year. Ever since I was a kid, I wanted a 150 bhp/360 NM Scorpio and now Santa has given me one.

Will update after I have installed this puppy in my mhawk.
Attached Thumbnails
Race Chip (German) for Diesel Cars for Rs. 17,500-racechip1.jpg  

Race Chip (German) for Diesel Cars for Rs. 17,500-racechip2.jpg  

Old 28th August 2010, 22:29   #60
BHPian

can you please let us know the time in weeks after your payment, and do they give you a detailed instruction for the vehicle[ in this case Scorpio]?

I am also looking forward to your feedback on the change in power and the actual change in the driving characteristic on Scorpio!

350NM of torque is what I am looking at, this torque will make Scorpio in 4x4 mode unstoppable![I know 4x4 is more of driver than machine, but still this torque will get this weight out on most situation]

-Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks